• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Train travel advice?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Anyone taken their rabbits on a train before? Any advice?
I have to take Flo to the Beaumont and can only get there by train. I'm thinking towel over the carrier and pet remedy spray, but is there much more I can do?? It's hard cos I'm supposed to keep Flo from being stressed!

I have taken mine on the train before and they seemed fine, they were actually more chilled than in a car, I think because the motion is smoother and less twisty. They were even eating and napping en route!

However I did choose a route and time that I knew would be super quiet, they got a seat to themselves and there was pretty much no one else in the carriage. I don't know if it's practical for you but maybe if you can pick a super quiet time that would help...?

I've had mixed experiences . Noodle seemed to positively enjoy it & wasn't phased at all by the bus, train. train, taxi & return ! Other bridge bunnies coped well & didn't seem stressed from what I remember (but maybe I was less perceptive back then?) Joey went in to stasis last year & I had to do another series of bus, train & taxi to get to Harrogate & stressed as he seemed he still ate coriander in reception. Pet remedy spray sounds good & try to take minimum other stuff so you can protect the carrier from any comuters charging about.

thanks thats really reassuring!
Well I have to get a train at lunch time so hopefully no commuters! Its only a 15 minute train so shouldn't be too bad.

15mins should be fine, and as you say abit of pet remedy spray and a towel over carrier, lots of hay to snuggle in should be fine

I have taken one pair of rabbits on a long car/bus journey including a wait at the bus stop with no problems (put a cotton cloth over their carrier for privacy).

I took two belgian hares (x) by train (with two changes). They were so laid back and just flopped for most of the time.

Both times I had loads of hay for them and water to offer them but they didnt want it.

As soon as the rabbits got 'home' (new to them, they were all from rescues) they just hopped around exploring and munching on hay!

Back