• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found a rabbit

xxx_Ra_xxx

Warren Scout
I found a rabbit on Tuesday night running the streets, I knew where it lived as I have had many run ins with them as the rabbit was left in the front garden free roaming with no shelter or water. I knocked on their door and they wouldn't answer. They still won't answer and I know they don't want the rabbit as they told my son to take it a few weeks ago. I have two other rabbits who are currently indoors and not bonded yet. I rang up the only place in Northern Ireland that takes rabbits and they have a very long waiting list....... Part of me thinks I should keep and and try to bond a trio. But she is not spayed so I will have to pay for that. I guess I should take her to a vet and get her checked up? It's just so hard as I will have to pay for all this. :cry:

Be careful you don't pay for the rabbits vet cost for the spay, vaccine etc and then the previous owners decide they want her back
Can you write them a letter to put through their letterbox, maybe get in writing from them back that they want you to have the rabbit?Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like these people are awful, they need reporting to animal welfare or something! How can they be so heartless :( I agree with "aaammmyyy", get them to write down on a letter that they want you to have the rabbit and make sure they leave there signiture on the letter. You can either take her yourself or take her temporarily until you find her a forever home. You seam like someone who genuinly cares & wants to do whats best for the rabbit, I would be exactly the same. I hope you figure it out & good luck.

Definitely make sure you get them to sign something to transfer ownership to you if it's at all possible. She may also be microchipped which could cause you problems later if she's been reported missing/stolen.
Unless there's anything wrong with her I would personally hold off on the vet for a bit while you try to make contact with the owners. Otherwise you could end up paying the bill and they decide they want her back. If you get her spayed that might get you in trouble if they decide they want her back as they may not have wanted her spayed.
If that happens I'd let it settle down and then call the RSPCA about it as they're clearly not looking after her properly :/
If you do make contact with them make sure you handle it carefully. If you say the wrong thing they might take her back just to spite you, not because they want her.

Also just in case she's got anything contagious I'd keep her quarantined from your other buns until you know she's clear. Chances are she's perfectly healthy but better safe than sorry, especially if she's not vaccinated :)

Well done for picking her up, the poor thing wouldn't have survived otherwise :(
If you are able to keep her there may be some people who could help you out with the spay? If you're on any benefits or something you could try the PDSA or the Blue Cross.

I think shes lucky to be in your care from what you say of the original owners.If you could give her a temporary set up for now while you have a think about what to do and also wait for any feed back from her "owners".
Im glad you were there to help her.

poor thing, luckily you found her, if you wanted to keep her, id as others have said get written consent from previous owners, if they ever answer door on you
if you are uncertain on keeping you could maybe foster and then find her a suitable loving home

I would love to keep her and then part of me knows it's another expensive. I will keep her here for as long as she needs to be. I have posted a letter through saying that I have her and I will keep her if that is what they want. I have had no reply nor will they open the door. She has settled in well here and is so sweet. I am just glad that she has shelter now in these cold nights. I even bought her a snuggle safe!!

Shes really fallen on her paws and is so lucky.I hope there is a way you can keep her but if not I know she will be carefully rehomed.

I am going to get rid of my kids trampoline, they don't bother with it, this will split my garden in two. I am keeping her as I don't think this friend is taking her after all. I have booked her into the vet next Tuesday as my other Rabbit needs his injection. That will make her here two weeks so we will see :p

Yay!! :D
I secretly wanted to say you should keep her but didn't want to influence you if money is tight :oops::p
But I'm so glad you've decided to keep her! Poor girl sounds like she's had a rough life and it's so wonderful that she'll now be well looked after :D
I really hope they work out as a trio!
I'd still be a bit cautious about the previous owners and maybe get the vet to check if she's chipped?

Back