• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Occasionally scanning rabbit - what's going on?

esupi

Warren Veteran
Last night, when my ex got home, Fudge was scanning/circling/off balance. She had been fine an hour and a half earlier when he went out.
He whisked her to the emergency vets and she has been given antibiotics and lapizole, and a probiotic.
This morning, he says she is almost back to normal - just a bit wobbly.

This seems odd to me, and it's the second time it's happened. Earlier this year she did almost the same thing. Scanning and unsteady (but not circling). It was later in the evening that time and less severe so I just kept an eye on her 'til the morning and by the morning she was completely normal again.

She definitely has EC - towards the back end of last year it flared up twice and we gave her a month-long course of Panacur each time.
But if it is still the EC, I don't know why it would come and go like this. I can't actually think of anything that would cause it to come on so quickly and then go away again overnight so I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this before/has any ideas?

I'm sorry Fudge has had another scanning episode ...I'd love to the know the answer but unfortunately I don't. Hoping the EC lectures will shed some light on it in April. I definitely think Noodle had on / off periods of urinary incontinence with her EC .

Many well wishes for Fudge & hopefully this will also bump your thread so you can get more knowledgeable replies . Good on ex for being so prompt with her care!

:) thanks - I'm not really expecting anyone to know tbh - I don't think I've ever read of something similar! But I reckon if nobody on here knows, then nobody knows!

Yes ex will have buns probably for about 8-10 weeks in all until I get my house - he has already said he's determined nothing will happen to them on 'his watch'!

Last night, when my ex got home, Fudge was scanning/circling/off balance. She had been fine an hour and a half earlier when he went out.
He whisked her to the emergency vets and she has been given antibiotics and lapizole, and a probiotic.

This seems odd to me, and it's the second time it's happened. Earlier this year she did almost the same thing. Scanning and unsteady (but not circling). It was later in the evening that time and less severe so I just kept an eye on her 'til the morning and by the morning she was completely normal again.

She definitely has EC - towards the back end of last year it flared up twice and we gave her a month-long course of Panacur each time.
But if it is still the EC, I don't know why it would come and go like this. I can't actually think of anything that would cause it to come on so quickly and then go away again overnight so I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this before/has any ideas?

I have known something similar. Not quite the same, but with certain similarities.

In the case of my rabbit it followed on from a seizure. Seizures are often not noticed by the owner unless of course you're present at the time so it's impossible to know whether that's happened or not.

There followed a couple of episodes as you've described. Probably more severe in my bun's case. He also had been diagnosed with E.C. and had been on Panacur.

A couple of theories I had, because the vet had none :)shock:) were:

1. It's 'die off' as the Panacur kills the parasite

2. Neurological damage remaining from E.C. and also from the 'die off'

Really strange, isn't it?

How was the EC diganosis made ?

Has she ever had any skull radiographs taken and/or any history of Pasteurella- eg snuffles/ear infections ?

I have known something similar. Not quite the same, but with certain similarities.

In the case of my rabbit it followed on from a seizure. Seizures are often not noticed by the owner unless of course you're present at the time so it's impossible to know whether that's happened or not.

There followed a couple of episodes as you've described. Probably more severe in my bun's case. He also had been diagnosed with E.C. and had been on Panacur.

A couple of theories I had, because the vet had none :)shock:) were:

1. It's 'die off' as the Panacur kills the parasite

2. Neurological damage remaining from E.C. and also from the 'die off'

Really strange, isn't it?

Really odd. Fudge wasn't actually on Panacur immediately before either of these episodes.

How was the EC diganosis made ?

Has she ever had any skull radiographs taken and/or any history of Pasteurella- eg snuffles/ear infections ?

hmm no, nothing like that Jane. She had a dental once years ago but I don't think any x-rays were taken. No history of snuffles/ear infections. Last time we were at the vets they said they could see a small amount of wax in her left ear, but I didn't think that was anything to worry about. The EC was diagnosed from blood tests confirming past infection. Truffle had it first years ago, but Fudge showed no symptoms at the time. 18 months ago she was diagnosed with CRF. And around last July she developed a bit of a lean/wobbliness that took us a couple of months to clear. She had a mild but 'normal' EC episode (slight head tilt, circling) maybe around last October, but otherwise has been fine apart from these two 'episodes'. But these haven't really been like EC, so it's got me wondering if we're barking up the wrong tree. Have you seen something similar before?

Really odd. Fudge wasn't actually on Panacur immediately before either of these episodes.

hmm no, nothing like that Jane. She had a dental once years ago but I don't think any x-rays were taken. No history of snuffles/ear infections. Last time we were at the vets they said they could see a small amount of wax in her left ear, but I didn't think that was anything to worry about. The EC was diagnosed from blood tests confirming past infection. Truffle had it first years ago, but Fudge showed no symptoms at the time. 18 months ago she was diagnosed with CRF. And around last July she developed a bit of a lean/wobbliness that took us a couple of months to clear. She had a mild but 'normal' EC episode (slight head tilt, circling) maybe around last October, but otherwise has been fine apart from these two 'episodes'. But these haven't really been like EC, so it's got me wondering if we're barking up the wrong tree. Have you seen something similar before?

Has she had a recent blood profile run to see how her kidney function is coping at the moment ? Azotemia ( raised Urea and Creatinine) due to CRF can cause neurological symptoms.

Has she had a recent blood profile run to see how her kidney function is coping at the moment ? Azotemia ( raised Urea and Creatinine) due to CRF can cause neurological symptoms.

It feels recent! But it would have been around October/November I guess. I can't remember what the counts were. That's possibly worth looking into - apparently this evening she is completely back to normal.

EC can flare up at any time, relapses are common. You did well to get her back on Fenbendazole quickly.

That said my 11/12 year old bun Ben has a relapse and remit cycle, he is unsteady and turns for 10-12 days then is ok for 10 days then it starts again. I have researched and found a few possibilities: cerebral T gondii or relapsing fever, both incidentally treated with doxycycline. My vet is not convinced and seeing as he coped well with the episodes prefers that we dont start him on meds due to his age...... I'm building up to another conversation with her....

Ben has definitive cycles however so this is different to your bun. There is a group on FB called Help for Head Tilt Hoppers, some very knowledgeable members. Might be worth you joining to see what others think?

Cody did this a few times before he developed head tilt from an inner ear infection . He did scanning and wobbly walking and then ws fine for a day or two then the tilt happened. Did vet check fudges ears ??

No, and neither was mine, but you said Fudge had had Panacur the 'back end of last year' ... which was the same amount of time, roughly!

Cody did this a few times before he developed head tilt from an inner ear infection . He did scanning and wobbly walking and then ws fine for a day or two then the tilt happened. Did vet check fudges ears ??

Yes but all they can see is a little wax in one ear. How did they diagnose Cody in the end?

No, and neither was mine, but you said Fudge had had Panacur the 'back end of last year' ... which was the same amount of time, roughly!

Interesting! Sorry I had misunderstood your first message

Back