• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hoss's dating diary UD March8th

AmberNikSee

Alpha Buck
We decided to take the plunge and try to find Hoss a mate! I arranged with the shelter we got him from to come in and speed date with the intent to bring home the best candidate. Tho they normally make you return a week later to do a second round, with us being so far away-110miles/2hours- they decided to just make it an extended day. OH wanted a lap bunny, which the shelter had. A beautiful big REW that has been there a year and is an absolute sweetheart, so we said we'd be open to another Red eye and they were thru the roof at the thought!
We made the two hour journey and we oh so nervously met the big beauty! She was enthralled with him! It seemed like it was really going to work! But Hoss just didn't seem to return the attention and she got lungy, and a bit aggressive for attention. Not to worry they said, she's not out of the running yet!
They move Hoss to a different pen and brought in a bun that was nearly identical to him-which TBH freaked me out a bit. Well Hoss is not into boys so that (thankfully) was not a match.
The third bunny was a cute little harlequin mix that had been there since September, shy and not a people bunny who just can't seem to get adopted as she doesn't "show well" to prospective adopters. She also was interested in Hoss! She just wanted to be groomed but Hoss was not going to oblige! However rather than getting her feelings hurt or getting aggressive she just looked at him! She'd get a call back also.
The next was a Himy who had been at the shelter since December, found outside in the snow with ear mites so bad her ears dropped, that was interested in him as well! At this point I've decided I've got bunny Casanova! They didn't seem to be a love connection but had potential for buddies!
The final bun they brought in didn't last long enough for her to tell me her back story!
He had a break and a salad and some love from me and the LO.
He got back in with the big beauty and she was even more attention hungry and she pretty much took herself out of the running since there were other contenders.
Back comes the harlequin and they continue to be interested but non aggressive and you can see the sparkle in her eye and she was doing really well with me one on one. The shelter director who was doing the selecting and the dating, started to cry because she was so happy and thought that she wouldn't ever get adopted. So we have taken her home and are going to give it our best try!

Last edited:
My Theo has been speed dating today too at a rescue. He now has a beautiful girlfriend (providing bonding goes well)! Good luck to you and your bunnies!

Today(day4) we decided to begin switching their sides. Immediate investigations of the sides started and Olive happened upon hosses stuffed cow;which she proceeded to pee on :-/ then she snuck between the dividing x pen and cage! All settled down after that but olive continues to be interested in what hoss is doing. He just wants food and to have his space back

Had a little bonding session that was an absolute cluster. My fault for not reading the signs and I'm afraid we're going to pay for it. Upon locking hoss in his kennel so the xpen being used as a divider could be set up they batted one another thru the kennel. We proceeded as I thought it was just them being territorial. In the pen Hoss tried to shove his head under her leg and then she pancaked, which I mistook for melting as I was petting them both. Chasing came next and Olive got a clump of fur from Hoss and then she bit me twice as I was separating them. Too much going on, too much stress, and I suspect too soon. Back to living next to one another and swapping sides.

Back