• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

Theo

Warren Scout
I'm am taking Theo to a rescue on Thursday so he can pick out a girlfriend (fingers crossed he's not fussy!) However, none of the potential girlfriends are spayed so I was wondering if it was best to bond them after I'd had her spayed or start bonding straight away? Could they travel back in the carrier together? I've only ever bonded 2 boys so I'd welcome any advice! Probably useful to say that Theo is neutered.

Last edited:
They can be bonded before the female is spayed, then, if all goes well, you can have her spayed later on, but you might have to separate them for a short time unless they behave when she comes home from the Vets, in which case they can remain together. Otherwise you will have to wait quite a while before they can be together and the problem with that is she might become territorial in that time which will make it more difficult to bond them.

I would opt for them to be together and get the bonding done, then worry about the spay later.
This is assuming she is a normal female rabbit and not an over-the-top hormonal type.

I've no experience but what tonibun says sounds right to me. I'd pop them in the carrier together if you can have someone on the back seat for easy access & if they are allowed to meet earlier have shown no sign of hating one another.

Lovely to hear you've sorted out a new mate for Theo, looking forward to updates & photos

I'm am taking Theo to a rescue on Thursday so he can pick out a girlfriend (fingers crossed he's not fussy!) However, none of the potential girlfriends are spayed so I was wondering if it was best to bond them after I'd had her spayed or start bonding straight away? Could they travel back in the carrier together? I've only ever bonded 2 boys so I'd welcome any advice! Probably useful to say that Theo is neutered.

I'm surprised the Rescue doesn't spay before rehoming? Is that their normal practice?

Otherwise, proceed as Tonibun says - good advice! :D

They can be bonded before the female is spayed, then, if all goes well, you can have her spayed later on, but you might have to separate them for a short time unless they behave when she comes home from the Vets, in which case they can remain together. Otherwise you will have to wait quite a while before they can be together and the problem with that is she might become territorial in that time which will make it more difficult to bond them.

I would opt for them to be together and get the bonding done, then worry about the spay later.
This is assuming she is a normal female rabbit and not an over-the-top hormonal type.

Thank you for your help :) I wasn't sure I she would be territorial before her spay...hopefully she's a 'normal' bunny!

I've no experience but what tonibun says sounds right to me. I'd pop them in the carrier together if you can have someone on the back seat for easy access & if they are allowed to meet earlier have shown no sign of hating one another.

Lovely to hear you've sorted out a new mate for Theo, looking forward to updates & photos

I think I'll be going on my own so not sure I'm brave enough to put them in the carrier together on my own! I think there's 4 suitable bunnies there so my plan is to let him choose. I really hope they done hate one another!

I'm surprised the Rescue doesn't spay before rehoming? Is that their normal practice?

Otherwise, proceed as Tonibun says - good advice! :D

I did wonder that myself but she's not a charity, she just took in one abandoned bunny, then another and its spiralled from there.

Bunny dating complete! Theo now had a beautiful girlfriend who is yet to be named...let the bonding commence!

Back