• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grieving bunny

Theo

Warren Scout
As some of you may be aware, I said goodbye to my little Thor on Sunday. I had to keep Theo and Thor separated following Thors abscess drain the week before but they could still see each other. I brought Thor home after being PTS for Theo to say bye to and he didn't really seem interested (I think this was due to the fact he smelt so bad from the draining abscess), he just looked at him and hopped off. Theo has been drinking more water than usual and I have noticed changes in behavior eg, sleeping in different places, usually against the wall or door whereas usually he'd be in the middle of the floor. He's also been running from room to room as if looking for Thor. As heart breaking as it will be, how soon should I find him a new friend?

As some of you may be aware, I said goodbye to my little Thor on Sunday. I had to keep Theo and Thor separated following Thors abscess drain the week before but they could still see each other. I brought Thor home after being PTS for Theo to say bye to and he didn't really seem interested (I think this was due to the fact he smelt so bad from the draining abscess), he just looked at him and hopped off. Theo has been drinking more water than usual and I have noticed changes in behavior eg, sleeping in different places, usually against the wall or door whereas usually he'd be in the middle of the floor. He's also been running from room to room as if looking for Thor. As heart breaking as it will be, how soon should I find him a new friend?

If this were me, I would say find him a friend now.

Poor little boy, bless him. I know all too well how they sleep in different places - hiding away as Theo is sometimes. It's heartbreaking, and if you want to get another rabbit then I would begin the search now.

Good luck xx

If this were me, I would say find him a friend now.

Poor little boy, bless him. I know all too well how they sleep in different places - hiding away as Theo is sometimes. It's heartbreaking, and if you want to get another rabbit then I would begin the search now.

Good luck xx

I have been to our local RSPCA today but they only had 3 single rabbits available (good news for the rescue as they have found homes for a lot!) but sadly I don't feel they are right for Theo.

I have been to our local RSPCA today but they only had 3 single rabbits available (good news for the rescue as they have found homes for a lot!) but sadly I don't feel they are right for Theo.

What a shame :(

I hope you manage to find a suitable friend soon. I'm of the belief that the right rabbit shows up at the right time... I hope that will be true for Theo :)

Poor Theo but I know what you are going through as I watched my 13 1/2 year old Jess (yes...13 1/2 years old!!)) slowly fade away on Saturday after coping with all sorts of messing about with an eye ulcer. I think she had just had enough and it broke my heart to watch her go. Even sadder is now watching her friend, Ollie, grieve and become subdued as he is clearly missing her. I can't decide what to do for the best. After 17 years of giving homes to rescue rabbits (11 in total) we have finally decided not to keep bonding new rabbits in when one passes away. I have another bonded pair as well as Ollie. My options are try and bond them as a trio or find a new suitable home/friend for Ollie. He is very friendly and VERY handsome (blue/grey lop) and it is such a shame to see him on his own. I live in Lancashire, like you, but I'm unsure whether 2 males would bond or not. He is neutered and vaccinated.

Poor Theo but I know what you are going through as I watched my 13 1/2 year old Jess (yes...13 1/2 years old!!)) slowly fade away on Saturday after coping with all sorts of messing about with an eye ulcer. I think she had just had enough and it broke my heart to watch her go. Even sadder is now watching her friend, Ollie, grieve and become subdued as he is clearly missing her. I can't decide what to do for the best. After 17 years of giving homes to rescue rabbits (11 in total) we have finally decided not to keep bonding new rabbits in when one passes away. I have another bonded pair as well as Ollie. My options are try and bond them as a trio or find a new suitable home/friend for Ollie. He is very friendly and VERY handsome (blue/grey lop) and it is such a shame to see him on his own. I live in Lancashire, like you, but I'm unsure whether 2 males would bond or not. He is neutered and vaccinated.

I'm sorry you lost Jess. What an age to get to though, you must be very proud.

That sounds like a nice option Theo? Lancashire rescues do seem few & far between. We've had to travel quite far to rescue & within the county thats only been from the RSPCA. I'm a big fan of allowing bunnies an introductory meeting to see how they get on, cuts down on a lot of stress & hassle later on

He was bonded with another neutered male before but he was half the size of Theo so not sure if that made a difference to his acceptance! How old is Ollie?

Wow! That's an amazing age! Oldest bunny I've heard of! Theo has ventured out back under the coffee table...I don't think me led on the floor with him is a good substitute for another bunny! :lol:

I'm sorry you lost Jess. What an age to get to though, you must be very proud.

That sounds like a nice option Theo? Lancashire rescues do seem few & far between. We've had to travel quite far to rescue & within the county thats only been from the RSPCA. I'm a big fan of allowing bunnies an introductory meeting to see how they get on, cuts down on a lot of stress & hassle later on

There's another rescue in Poulton Le Fylde that is a rabbit sanctuary so I'll be in contact with them too. It took us about a month to bond Theo and Thor as first timers and they had a bunny date at the RSPCA...seemed fine til we got home and Theo chased Thor for weeks!

I was always told, when looking for any new friend, that size didn't matter, more to do with temperament. My other two rabbits are a (huge) french lop and an agouti mid sized lop and they get on just fine. Jess was tiny and bonded with 3 different rabbits, all of different sizes. She was a little trooper! When I rescued her the sanctuary said that she and her sister were unwanted pets so they had a definite age for them, 5. That was in October 2007. I took both of them in Jan 2008 and Jess was with me until last weekend. That made her the grand old age of at least 13 and a half.:D

Ollie came from a rescue centre in Lytham and was found as a stray so I have no definite age. When he was found in Oct 2012 they reckoned he was about 1 and I took him in Nov 2012 so he's probably about 4.

No I'm afraid humans are no substitute as we don't groom quite as well :lol: Is Theo an indoor bun? That would be fab for Ollie. Whilst he is outside, he is used to space as a section of my garden is given over to the rabbits and they have their own continual outside area. Bunny paradise:D

I was always told, when looking for any new friend, that size didn't matter, more to do with temperament. My other two rabbits are a (huge) french lop and an agouti mid sized lop and they get on just fine. Jess was tiny and bonded with 3 different rabbits, all of different sizes. She was a little trooper! When I rescued her the sanctuary said that she and her sister were unwanted pets so they had a definite age for them, 5. That was in October 2007. I took both of them in Jan 2008 and Jess was with me until last weekend. That made her the grand old age of at least 13 and a half.:D

Ollie came from a rescue centre in Lytham and was found as a stray so I have no definite age. When he was found in Oct 2012 they reckoned he was about 1 and I took him in Nov 2012 so he's probably about 4.

No I'm afraid humans are no substitute as we don't groom quite as well :lol: Is Theo an indoor bun? That would be fab for Ollie. Whilst he is outside, he is used to space as a section of my garden is given over to the rabbits and they have their own continual outside area. Bunny paradise:D

He hates me trying to brush him but sometimes he can be bribed with a bit of carrot so I can get the odd matted bits he's missed. Theo is an indoor bunny with free range when we are around to supervise and has his own small bedroom for when we're at work or sleeping. I think I'd feel a bit mean taking Ollie from bunny paradise when I have no garden, just some grass growing on the window sill :lol:

Are they all in the garden together? Maybe if they're in sight of one another it may be possible to bond a trio? Bonding a pair was traumatic enough for me but definitely worth it once you see happy bunnies that are best of friends!

I'm sorry you lost Jess, but she sounds like a superb elder bun :love:

I have to say that in my experience, the best bonding is with a male and female, both neutered. Not to say it won't work with two males, but in my bones I feel that Theo may be more accepting and tolerant of a female. What do you think Theo?

I'm sorry you lost Jess, but she sounds like a superb elder bun :love:

I have to say that in my experience, the best bonding is with a male and female, both neutered. Not to say it won't work with two males, but in my bones I feel that Theo may be more accepting and tolerant of a female. What do you think Theo?

Thor was also a male and they had an amazing bond so I'm not sure whether to go down the male route again or get him a girlfriend. The first time I was searching for a friend for Theo I was convinced I'd get a girl as I'd read they were easier to bond but at the RSPCA Theo chose a little boy! Ultimately it's Theos decision, he's got to share his toys and accommodation with him/her :lol:

I'd be interested to hear how others chose their bunnies new friend following a loss.

Thor was also a male and they had an amazing bond so I'm not sure whether to go down the male route again or get him a girlfriend. The first time I was searching for a friend for Theo I was convinced I'd get a girl as I'd read they were easier to bond but at the RSPCA Theo chose a little boy! Ultimately it's Theos decision, he's got to share his toys and accommodation with him/her :lol:

I'd be interested to hear how others chose their bunnies new friend following a loss.

To be honest I've only ever bonded male with female, other than rebonding my neighbours two brothers after that had to be separated pending being neutered. I've never had an unsuccessful bond and I've always been the one to chose the rabbit, rather than rabbit chose rabbit. It can get a bit hair-raising when introduced and my two remaining buns that are bonded "did it themselves"! I had done the usual routine of introductions in neutral territory etc, etc and the male, Einstein, was very aggressive to the extent that he made Maize squeal in pain when he bit her ear. I was ready to throw the towel in but happened not to secure the lock on one of the hutches one day and they both got out together! Result? Two rabbits happily sharing space in one shed that same evening! The two bonded pairs (when I had Jess of course) live in 2 separate sheds/play house in the "rabbit garden". I'd let one pair out in the morning and change them over at lunch. Whilst they can smell each other and see each other through the wire of the shed doors, the 4 were never out together. I contemplated trying to bond the 4 but I was fearful that Einstein wouldn't tolerate it. That's also my fear for a trio so whilst ideally I don't want to let Ollie go I have to do what is best for him and at the moment living as a single bun when he has been used to a companion is not best for him.:cry:

Back