• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food agressive rabbit

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
So my little fluffball Haymitch has been increasingly aggressive with the girls at morning feed time over the last few days (sigh)

He previously belonged to a 3 year old child who teased him and he's also partially sighted. He would lunge and bite when we first had him but has calmed down completely apart from the odd grunt.

This morning he boxed me to get at the food and then really chased the girls away, grunting.

All four have been recently vet checked, so they have no issues in that area. We're already feeding additional hay (4/5 types) so he shouldn't be hungry.

We will be spreading the morning veg and forage out into different locations rather than feeding one pile and can always feed him separately if needed.

He's 16 months old now and although he cuddles up to the girls (they're 26 months old) and they groom him and they're often together he does spend more time playing in the run than they do in this weather.

Argh, that is all.

The little monster himself :love:

Last edited:
Oh dear (what a cute little fluff btw). Perhaps it is something to do with the changing season? Frosty always chases his brother, Snowflake and the two girls, Tessie and Daisy away whenever they are fed.

Hope he calms down again soon.

I think it is probably because he has 'spring fever' lots of rabbits at this time of year start behaving this way, my buck included. He has started chasing his sister and grunting when it's feeding time so it is normal bunny behaviour. You may find that they also get more energetic and excitable too as this has happened with both of my bunnies and it's super cute haha. Obviously keep an eye on it just in case, but I'm 99% sure that it is just spring fever :)

It's the sort of aggression that is often learned and can escalate rather than them actually being nasty. Be really careful that his aggression never gets him a reward so if he boxes you, don't give him food immediately afterwards, otherwise he may think if he boxes he gets food - like teaching him a trick only you've taught him to box instead of sit!

Scattering is a great idea, it stops his focus on one spot. If you have trouble with getting access without aggression, you could train him to hop in a carrier for a treat and then put the food down.

Before anything else: he was a gift for a THREE YEAR OLD? I hate the buying-kids-pets-as-gifts thing, but who in their right mind would buy ANY pet for a three year old?!

Ahem, anyway...

Scatter feeding sounds like an excellent plan: I do so for all three sets of my rabbits, not only to deal with food aggression (River's the worst) but because it 'feels' more natural to do so. I hope it sorts out some of the gorgeous Haymitch's problems relating to food.

Awww- he's gorgeous :love:

My Bobo was food aggressive with his wifey-bun Harley (at the Bridge now) and would grunt/snort and chase her at food times. Scatter feeding actually just made it worse for us - so I did two separate bowls and fed him first so he was occupied with this food before I fed Harley - she learnt to keep back and had her bowl out of his line of sight. Scatter feeding may work for you though - so would try that first.

My hare can be evil to her partner at feed time. I tend to find that scattering the food is best for her.

Back