• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head tilt

Hi

I'm new to forum and posted yesterday re one of my rabbits, Toby who has developed head tilt over last 10 days - he's on Lapizole and steroids and this morning has made a little improvement which gives me hope.
One of my big questions that I hope someone here can answer is that he has three bonded mates - obviously separate at moment - should I have them on lapizole or panacur too just as a precautiion?
Thank you.

I am glad Toby has improved a bit. Personally I wouldn't give the other 3 anything at the moment as it is unlikely they will "catch" whatever is causing the head tilt.

Many thanks for reply - Toby has e.cuniculi.........getting conflicting advice about whether or not others need it and for how long.

Hi

I'm new to forum and posted yesterday re one of my rabbits, Toby who has developed head tilt over last 10 days - he's on Lapizole and steroids and this morning has made a little improvement which gives me hope.
One of my big questions that I hope someone here can answer is that he has three bonded mates - obviously separate at moment - should I have them on lapizole or panacur too just as a precautiion?
Thank you.

Personally I would treat all Rabbits with a 28 day course of Lapizole. The Lapizole would have been prescribed to cover treatment for EC (Encephalitozoon Cuniculi) and this protozoal parasite is spread via spores excreted in the urine. So potentially any in contact Rabbits may be at risk

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

Did the Vet suggest giving a covering antibiotic course too ? I ask as head tilt can be caused by a middle ear infection as well as EC and also corticosteroids can have the side effect of lowering the Rabbits immune system. *If* there were to be any bacterial infection going on it would obviously not be helpful to have the immune system suppressed (as a result of the steroids)

These links may be useful:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Signs/Cuniculi_signs.html

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Paper/fenbendazole.pdf

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/cuniculi/pyrimethamine.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

Hi

Thank you.

The wisdom at the moment (not to say this will change, but for now this is what we tend to do) is to treat all rabbits with Panacur/Lapizole for 28 days. This is because spores are shed in the urine, and although you may have treated just one rabbit, they may all be passing the infected spores and so Toby may become reinfected.

You also have to thoroughly bleach/disinfect litter trays on days 21 and 28 of treatment to interrupt the life cycle of the parasite. Those places you cannot easily disinfect can be steam cleaned.

Was his diagnosis made through blood tests or observation of the symptoms?

Wishing you and Toby loads of luck xx

Thank you

Thanks to everyone that replied - and for the great links which I'm in the process of going through.

My vet is saying that the other rabbits only need treating for a week but the rescue I adopted the rabbits from is saying 42 days?
I guess the 28 day mark is somewhere in btwn.
Toby hasn't had a blood test; I did see on one site that some vets do and some don't. The steroid injec he had yesterday has certainly helped with his appetite as I realised it would and he's standing on his own for a while which he hasn't been able to do without falling over. His head tilt is very pronounced still but the fact that he wants food is giving me hope.
Will continue reading links. Thank you all.

Thanks to everyone that replied - and for the great links which I'm in the process of going through.

My vet is saying that the other rabbits only need treating for a week but the rescue I adopted the rabbits from is saying 42 days?
I guess the 28 day mark is somewhere in btwn.
Toby hasn't had a blood test; I did see on one site that some vets do and some don't. The steroid injec he had yesterday has certainly helped with his appetite as I realised it would and he's standing on his own for a while which he hasn't been able to do without falling over. His head tilt is very pronounced still but the fact that he wants food is giving me hope.
Will continue reading links. Thank you all.

Some vets do say to continue the treatment for six weeks instead of four.

Although Panacur is reckoned to be relatively safe, in the light of my own experience, I would stick with 28 days. One week of Panacur does not interfere with the life cycle of the parasite and therefore won't fully address the issues :)

I'd treat all bunnies for 28 days & then review with your vet. Good luck with his recovery, my bun took ages to get back on her feet but we got there in the end. Is a great sign he is enthusiastic about food, that is what kept us going

Back