• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Still sneezing - Anyone had marbocare tablets for their rabbits?

cpayne

Warren Veteran
Doughnuts sneezing just won't clear up so now trying half a tablet once a day. I should get them posted to me by Friday.

Do they taste nice, if not what success has everyone had with tablets. Is it better to grind them down and put them in something?

Last edited:
I have never used them myself, but as they are mostly for dogs they are probably a meaty flavour. Maybe you could crush it up and mix it in with a tiny bit of fruit puree/mashed banana ?

Not these, but when I used metronidazole for my snuffle bun I used to crush it and mix with a teaspoon of ellas kitchen. He would lick it straight off the spoon.

I think I'm going to have to get up so much earlier at this rate. At the moment I have to put her antibiotic on a bit of Weetabix and cover it with metaclop as she hates the taste. She has to continue this then I add in cisapride and rantidine, now I'll grind the tablets and mix it in with something. Due to her digestion issues I'll just give her a little bit of something. Be nice to go back down to two medicines taken out of the syringe lol.

Doughnuts sneezing just won't clear up so now trying half a tablet once a day. I should get them posted to me by Friday.

Do they taste nice, if not what success has everyone had with tablets. Is it better to grind them down and put them in something?

I have used it for my rabbits, but I'm pretty sure it came as a syrup, which was easy to give. You'll have to make a suspension with the tablet I guess, as they will be flavoured for cats and dogs .. Could you add a bit of Ella's Kitchen in there too?

There's a bit of info here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

There's a few versions of it too:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Compendium-datasheets_by_AI/Active_Ingredients/-24704.html

I have used it for my rabbits, but I'm pretty sure it came as a syrup, which was easy to give. You'll have to make a suspension with the tablet I guess, as they will be flavoured for cats and dogs .. Could you add a bit of Ella's Kitchen in there too?

There's a bit of info here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm

There's a few versions of it too:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Compendium-datasheets_by_AI/Active_Ingredients/-24704.html
Thanks for that, yes I will grind it up between two spoons. I've never used Ella's Kitchen, I'll have to have a look. I know she likes banana so will try mashing a little bit up with that but nice to have a few choices if at first I don't succeed!

Thanks for that, yes I will grind it up between two spoons. I've never used Ella's Kitchen, I'll have to have a look. I know she likes banana so will try mashing a little bit up with that but nice to have a few choices if at first I don't succeed!

Ella's kitchen do a 'bananas' baby food pouch which is so useful, as bits of mashed up banana don't always go up the syringe :)

I could just mix it up in her bowl then with the ground in pieces, will have to do it finely so she doesn't pick them out lol. I will offer her the half tablet first in hope that she may like it, I'm not holding out any hope though.

I've only ever used Marbocyl liquid. When I've had tablets, I've just ground them, mixed them in water as best I could, and then syringed them.

I'm unsure why I'm given the tablets when there is liquid, never mind it will be a new experience for me and Doughnut lol.

I'm unsure why I'm given the tablets when there is liquid, never mind it will be a new experience for me and Doughnut lol.

That's a positive way to look at it :)

If it turns out she's on it longer term you could ask for some in liquid/syrup form x

Yes I will. I'm hoping it will clear up quickly. Got to keep positive, she's still happy, binkies last night :)

matt was on marbocyl for a while. think it was liquid aswell :wave:

eta: i think it was. i remember breaking and crushing a tablet though for a couple of things so it may have been that. too many to remember!

My latest bunny honey was on the tablets, we just used to crush them and mix them with a spot of water and draw up a syringe. To be fair she always took it well, and was on them for 3 weeks. We was offered the liquid, but weirdly they said it's better in the tablet format, don't know if that was the honest truth though! Sending lots of get better vibes for her Xx

Well Doughnut has been a bit of a pickle as I suspected. I put half the tablet down hopeful, but she sniffed it and then turned her back, so I took it back, ground it up and mixed with a bit of banana. She went running over to her bowl, sniffed it, turned her back again. Gave her a bit of banana on my hand, she's now decided she doesn't like banana! I'm now grinding it up and mixing it with critical care as she likes that and it's strong smelling. She's still trying to pick around the tablet but it is eventually all getting eaten.

Well Doughnut has been a bit of a pickle as I suspected. I put half the tablet down hopeful, but she sniffed it and then turned her back, so I took it back, ground it up and mixed with a bit of banana. She went running over to her bowl, sniffed it, turned her back again. Gave her a bit of banana on my hand, she's now decided she doesn't like banana! I'm now grinding it up and mixing it with critical care as she likes that and it's strong smelling. She's still trying to pick around the tablet but it is eventually all getting eaten.

Goodness :lol:

Good thing you don't have a dozen Doughnut's to medicate! Humans rule :D

Goodness :lol:

Good thing you don't have a dozen Doughnut's to medicate! Humans rule :D

Tell me about it, I then give her her other medicine by syringe. I don't know how people cope with lots of bunnies, she's a handful just on her own.

Well the tablets haven't worked either, she's been sneezing about 6 weeks now. It's not bad, about 3 sneezes in an evening, no discharge but it just won't shift so seeing Mark on Wednesday since she's had 3 lots of antibiotics now.

Well the tablets haven't worked either, she's been sneezing about 6 weeks now. It's not bad, about 3 sneezes in an evening, no discharge but it just won't shift so seeing Mark on Wednesday since she's had 3 lots of antibiotics now.

have you tried penicillin injections? this is what bisc and matt both had as a first treatment from the exotics vet. it was all bisc has ever needed in terms of antibiotics. with matt, we ended up trying so many things before we cracked it, but for bisc, alongside metacam, it really hit it hard and worked well for him. it was a three month course :)

Back