• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tuft of fur every morning

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So every morning for the last week & 1/2 I've been going in the the bunny room to find one tuft of fur on the floor.

The girls seem fine together, eating, drinking, urine and faeces is all normal. Daphne is moulting at the moment but it seems more like a fur pulling than moulting.

I can't tell who the fur is coming from as they are such similar colours. Our bedroom is right next door & neither of us hear any chasing/fighting in the night (OH has trouble sleeping & is up most of the night)

Any ideas if it sounds like its anything to worry about? (I guess I'm just after reassurance)

Aboleth has a matty bum-skirt so I find fur tufts of hers that she's pulled out most days, especially if it's been dry for a bit: she refluffs herself back up but doesn't bother when it's still wet (which makes me worry), and the refluffing means pulling all her bum-dreadlocks out :)

:wave: I think it's connected with Spring and babies. Sometimes, when I've had a single female, I have found a tuft of fur in the food bowl and I can only interpret it to mean she wants babies. I might be wrong but it seems a logical conclusion to me.

I am always (daily) finding large clumps of white fur in the rabbit shed. Daisy is pure white, Frosty and Snowflake are mainly white and Tessie is brown so someone is either moulting or having fur pulled. It has been going on for years (three) and they all seem very cuddly together except at food time when Frosty chases them all!

I am always (daily) finding large clumps of white fur in the rabbit shed. Daisy is pure white, Frosty and Snowflake are mainly white and Tessie is brown so someone is either moulting or having fur pulled. It has been going on for years (three) and they all seem very cuddly together except at food time when Frosty chases them all!

Thank you. This has helped to put my mind at rest. Sounds just like my two (always cuddly unless food/treats are involved)

Boo still pulls Mouses fur :shock: - probably on average once a day. I'm normally around to see it. Its never a big fight, just a step up from a rabbity move on. The rest of the time they are incredibly close, snuggled up when Joe has his boy lone time or lying about in a big hairy bundle of three. It used to worry me but now I guess its just normal communication & isn't a sign that their relationship is about to break down.

I occasionally find the odd tuft of fur which has evidently been pulled out (during a squabble) rather than moulted out. My girls are sisters and are 5yrs old this year. It's natural to have a fall out, it would be un-natural not to have some sort of squabble at some point, particularly during the spring when they always are more feisty, neutered or not.

Providing there's no blood, or other obvious injuries, I wouldn't worry. In fact, Coco a few months ago, had quite a big bite on her left shoulder - Thumper had had enough one day and had turned on her (probably much to Coco's surprise as it's Coco who's normally the dominant one) and took a chunk out of her shoulder. We didn't see it, we felt it under her fur. The scab was quite big and lumpy and yet no fur was missing and no blood was found, so we presume Thumper had basically simply sunk her teeth into Coco's shoulder ... and held on, judging by the size of it! I moved the fur and examined the area but it seemed fine to look at and Coco was fine too, and it healed and the scab shrunk daily until it disappeared within 3-4 days.

My point is, they will have spats, it's natural. The only time to intervene is when/IF it gets nasty, and you'll know when/IF that happens as a fight, a proper one, is not silent.

Thank you very much guys. Feeling much better for getting some reassurance.
There wasn't any tufts this morning but it was a very disturbed night and they got let out around 4am.

Thank you very much guys. Feeling much better for getting some reassurance.
There wasn't any tufts this morning but it was a very disturbed night and they got let out around 4am.

They are clearly bribing you, let us out or the fur will fly:lol:

Back