• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

10 day old Kits

hppy2b

New Kit
I have had three bunnies for 10 days and today one of my bunnies died. and the other looks bad . She was gasping for air i did the over head and down motions and she started breathing . i really dont think she is going to make it. The other one is bigger then her sister.. I cant afford a vet. and i have been trying to raise other kits (Because the doe had to many babies or she isn't feeding babies etc) my EX raises them and i am helping with babies.I haven't raised one yet that lived and i am praying for the two i have their little eyes are open. I wanted to know if there is anything i can do? I even thought about giving them a drop of honey or even herbs drops. but i dont know if i should??
Any advise would be great.
Thank you

If the rabbits are poorly I'm afraid there probably isn't anything you can do that will be affective.

The rabbits need vet care. I would encourage you to try your best to get them to one, leaving rabbits to suffer is not fair. Vets often will do payment plans and allow you to pay in installments, perhaps this is something you could do?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your rabbits are not well. However not taking them to the vet because you can't afford it is unacceptable really. Denying veterinary care is actually against the law and people shouldn't have animals if they can't give them the veterinary care when required. I encourage you to take them or to give them up to someone who can or you could lose these babies. :(

I agree with the previous two responses. If you don't take them to the vet then you are breaking the law and honestly, you will have dead bunnies on your hands. I apologise if that sounds harsh, but it is cruel to not get vetinary care for them.

Do you or your ex partners breed the bunnies or was it an accidental litter? I trust that the mum is being well looked after and monitored?

Baby rabbits are notoriously difficult to raise without their mum (or a foster mum).
There are links on this site with recommendations of how to feed them - use the search facility and see if there is anything useful.
Sorry that's not much help. I hope you get some help and advice from someone with more experience soon.

Sorry to hear your rabbits are not well. However not taking them to the vet because you can't afford it is unacceptable really. Denying veterinary care is actually against the law and people shouldn't have animals if they can't give them the veterinary care when required. I encourage you to take them or to give them up to someone who can or you could lose these babies. :(
What is your address and i will send you about 20 one day old bunnies since you Know all there is in hand feeding baby rabbit!?For your info i am trying to give them a chance to live instead of dying in their next box.. But i see that i cant get help here just ppl judging and thinking they know it all and don't forget Rich too and its obvious you haven't taken 20 babies to the vet and more on the way .. BTW the bunnies are free that i will send you.. Sorry to hear about your pets..

Gasping for air can be an indication of possible aspiration pneumonia, which can easily occur when having to hand feed baby rabbits. Usually pneumonia would be treated with antibiotics and anti inflammatories, however at such a young age, I'm not sure how that would work. And often when it is to the stage of them gasping for air, treatment may not be effective.

I wouldn't give honey or herbs as that wouldn't do anything to treat the problem and could compound the problem and lead to the baby developing diarrhea from the sugars in the honey. One thing that might be helpful in hand feeding the baby bunnies, I have read of people using make up sponges dipped in the milk and the babies sucking the milk in through the sponges, to help reduce the risks of aspiration pneumonia occurring. There seemed to be a good success rate with their use. So maybe something worth looking into.

You can take a look at this link on aspiration pneumonia and see if any of the info is helpful. I hope you are able to find a solution. Hand rearing baby bunnies can be very difficult, and unfortunately aspiration pneumonia is a very real risk and sometimes does happen. Best of luck to you and the little buns. I hope they will be alright.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Aspiration_Pneumonia.htm

Last edited:
What is your address and i will send you about 20 one day old bunnies since you Know all there is in hand feeding baby rabbit!?For your info i am trying to give them a chance to live instead of dying in their next box.. But i see that i cant get help here just ppl judging and thinking they know it all and don't forget Rich too and its obvious you haven't taken 20 babies to the vet and more on the way .. BTW the bunnies are free that i will send you.. Sorry to hear about your pets..

We understand the desperation of the situation you are in, but as this is a largely a pro-rescue forum, most people on here have neutered pet rabbits and so have no experience of baby rabbits at all, and even fewer have attempted to hand rear them.

For me its not about anyone judging anyone, its about the fact that its illegal to leave an animal to suffer.

That's why people have suggested you give them up to perhaps a rescue or get help from someone to take them to the vet.

I have had three bunnies for 10 days and today one of my bunnies died. and the other looks bad . She was gasping for air i did the over head and down motions and she started breathing . i really dont think she is going to make it. The other one is bigger then her sister.. I cant afford a vet. and i have been trying to raise other kits (Because the doe had to many babies or she isn't feeding babies etc) my EX raises them and i am helping with babies.I haven't raised one yet that lived and i am praying for the two i have their little eyes are open. I wanted to know if there is anything i can do? I even thought about giving them a drop of honey or even herbs drops. but i dont know if i should??
Any advise would be great.
Thank you

If any of the Kits are still alive and you are going to continue to try to hand rear them then this link may provide you with some useful information

http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/health/hand-rearing/

Please do NOT give them any honey or anything sugary at all. As you seem to understand, hand rearing kits is seldom successful. So do be prepared for the worst whilst hoping for the best

Actually I know nothing about hand reading new born rabbits? However I do know it is illegal to deny veterinary care to a sick animal. I'm not rich either, I have 2 rabbits and I am a university student struggling to stay afloat! I do however put money aside for my rabbits once a week in case they were to get ill.

Why do you have 20 new born rabbits anyway?

Last edited:
Gasping for air can be an indication of possible aspiration pneumonia, which can easily occur when having to hand feed baby rabbits. Usually pneumonia would be treated with antibiotics and anti inflammatories, however at such a young age, I'm not sure how that would work. And often when it is to the stage of them gasping for air, treatment may not be effective.

I wouldn't give honey or herbs as that wouldn't do anything to treat the problem and could compound the problem and lead to the baby developing diarrhea from the sugars in the honey. One thing that might be helpful in hand feeding the baby bunnies, I have read of people using make up sponges dipped in the milk and the babies sucking the milk in through the sponges, to help reduce the risks of aspiration pneumonia occurring. There seemed to be a good success rate with their use. So maybe something worth looking into.

You can take a look at this link on aspiration pneumonia and see if any of the info is helpful. I hope you are able to find a solution. Hand rearing baby bunnies can be very difficult, and unfortunately aspiration pneumonia is a very real risk and sometimes does happen. Best of luck to you and the little buns. I hope they will be alright.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Aspiration_Pneumonia.htm

JBun gives very good advice here :thumb:

We have had to hand rear bunnies at the Rescue Centre, and it's very difficult indeed. You may lose some, or all, and that's very sad, but you can only try your best.

Good luck xx

This is the info i needed thank you , but all my bunnies died even my last fluffy rabbit 13 days old. each time these kits don't make it i cry and bury them in my flower bed.. and why didn't you guys just say oh we dont know about baby bunnies we just know bout the ones we go and buy for pets?? i will try what JBUN said. the next bunch that will be here sooner then i think.
and for the ones that dont think they were judging!! read what you write before u send it..

This is the info i needed thank you , but all my bunnies died even my last fluffy rabbit 13 days old. each time these kits don't make it i cry and bury them in my flower bed.. and why didn't you guys just say oh we dont know about baby bunnies we just know bout the ones we go and buy for pets?? i will try what JBUN said. the next bunch that will be here sooner then i think.
and for the ones that dont think they were judging!! read what you write before u send it..

We aren't judging, we are voicing our concerns. Sorry you lost the babies. I hope you wont be breeding anymore.

you're making yourself sound very silly. you are the one putting yourself and those babies in this situation in the first place. it seldom works and yet you continue to breed and go through it all again. if you and your friend, whoever, will continue to breed, please at least put some money aside first incase of potential problems and find a vet aswell incase needed. this is common sense and the very least you should have in place before bringing yet more bunnies into the world. maybe research how to hand rear the best way before attempting it?

people did not judge but told you the best way to help. they also gave you the facts of not getting vet care/treatment which is that it is illegal. you are the one who is coming across as rude.

Last edited:
Back