• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best brush for moulting bunny

mariposa

Mama Doe
What do you recommend? We have something like this at the moment which is fine, but wonder if there's something better I could use with more of his hair coming out at the moment!

What do you recommend? We have something like this at the moment which is fine, but wonder if there's something better I could use with more of his hair coming out at the moment!

The best way to get rid of loose hair is to use a cat moulting comb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Pr...=1456241088&sr=1-3&keywords=cat+moulting+comb

I have tried so many brushes and combs - they fill a shelf in my cupboard! But this was recommended to me and is definitely the best :D

The furminator brush is absolutely amazing! I have one for my bunnies and one for my dog and they work wonders on both. My dog in particular molts sooo much (especially in the Summer) and this comb/brush has worked so well that he is hardly molting at all! I brought mine from Amazon so it wasn't as expensive as other places, but you can get it from lots of different online sites. :)

It depends if it gets matted really, for example two of my bunnies are mini lops so although they have got fluffy bellies they don't get matted so I don't brush them. That being said, they can still reach their bunnies so may ingest fur from licking them, however quite honestly I think you may struggle to brush his belly unless he is extremely laid back.

Edit: I do brush around the bottom area though because as MightyMax said, it can get matted down there. The reason I don't brush their bellies is because they would rip my skin off if I tried [emoji23]

Last edited:
Thanks both :) He's got quite a fluffy belly and might let us have a little go but not for long! How do you approach brushing their bottoms?! Do you mean the tail area while they're sitting, or do you hold them?

MightyMax, I got the brush you recommended and I love it! Amazing how much hair comes out :lol:

Thanks both :) He's got quite a fluffy belly and might let us have a little go but not for long! How do you approach brushing their bottoms?! Do you mean the tail area while they're sitting, or do you hold them?

MightyMax, I got the brush you recommended and I love it! Amazing how much hair comes out :lol:

Yes it is amazing, isn't it? And it seems to be quite comfortable (on the whole!) for the bunny, as it just gathers up the loose hair :D

I hold them so they are virtually upright as as long as you don't leave it too long then it only takes a small amount of time to brush the matts out that way. I brush the underside of the tail and very very lightly around the genital area, being careful not to catch the skin or genitalia. [emoji4]

I hold them so they are virtually upright as as long as you don't leave it too long then it only takes a small amount of time to brush the matts out that way. I brush the underside of the tail and very very lightly around the genital area, being careful not to catch the skin or genitalia. [emoji4]

I'm sorry Mariposa, I was so taken with your applause for my recommendation that I totally forgot to reply to the other bit of your post :oops:

I do the same as W&B ... Just about upright - slight incline maybe. Then a quick once over around the tail end :)

have you tried a rubber zoom groom, works wonders here on mabel, I alternate each day I groom between that on the flea style type comb that the first person recommended

I used to praise the furminator but after seeing damage to someones bunnies skin on the forum, I stopped that's when I got the zoom groom

Furmintors are only recommended to be used once a week, sometimes once every two weeks due to the fact that they can cause damage to the skin.

The comb MightMax recommended I honestly forgot it existed! We used to use it in the vets & I loved it.
I don't brush my girlies... I wouldn't be able to get close enough to do it!

Furmintors are only recommended to be used once a week, sometimes once every two weeks due to the fact that they can cause damage to the skin.

The comb MightMax recommended I honestly forgot it existed! We used to use it in the vets & I loved it.

It was about the best recommendation I had all those years ago. It looks such a harmless piece of kit, but really does the biz :thumb:

Thanks W&B :)

:lol: don't worry MightyMax! Bask in my praise all you like :lol:

Thank you minilop1 - I might look into that one as well :) Thanks for the furminator info as well and to you daphnephoebe too :)

I only use brush mine once a week because I use a furminator and know that it could cause injury if used daily. Because of this I also take extra care when brushing them and never let the brush itself touch their skin, more for getting out matted, loose fur and even then I don't pull tug on the fur, if I find a matt I very very gradually loosen it until it comes away from the fur.

I certainly wouldn't recommend for daily use though, or for anyone that as a bunny that likes to be brushed slightly rougher than normal. I probably should have clarified that in my previous comment so I do apologize fur not mentioning that.

The best brush for getting loose fur out is a comb like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chinatera-S...UTF8&qid=1456240150&sr=1-24&keywords=dog+comb

You can get right down to the base of the fur. Start at one corner and work your way round. OK on long or short fur (mine are lionhead crosses). For rabbits with standard short coats, I find grooming them outside in the wind helps. If you work the fur backwards, the wind takes the loose bits away.

I have just ordered this to add to mabels collection, thanks you may know how moulty she is lol

The best way to get rid of loose hair is to use a cat moulting comb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Pr...=1456241088&sr=1-3&keywords=cat+moulting+comb

Would this be suitable for Rex bunnies? They moult like the clappers and after Coco's recent bout of gut problems and Thumper's recurring gut problems, both the vet and I wonder if it's their own fur causing it. I found a number of poops joined by fur during Coco's episode. Just stroking them with damp hands, gently plucking away the loose bits is barely making a difference - I really need a brush or something but am terrified of damaging their skin.

Thanks!

Back