• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC / loss of front paw

Nataliek

New Kit
My little smokey was very poorly with EC and we nearly lost him. The vets firstly thought because there was so much going on (the EC making his eyes bad, nerve damage and loss of front paw, not eating because of this, which also ment his teeth was saw.... plus him having no balance at all) it was best to put smokey to sleep. She also said there was a chance it could be a brain tumour. Many weeks later and im soooo happy to say my Lil boy is nearly back to himself. Hopping around, putting the weight back on and has so much more balance.

Although he's better within himself his front paw still doesn't work and he's struggling to wash his face/ears as you can imagine. He trys really hard to pull the paw up to grab his ear and I can see its really bothering him. I tried scratching it for him but that must not be the problem. Is there any way I can help him clean it ?
I don't want to go pocking in there and hurting him.... but maybe a little bit of water on a cotton ball ?
Any ideas would be really appreciated
Xx

Is he still on an anti-inflammatory (eg Metacam)? It may still help if there is damage around the nerves to the foot. Otherwise, what about physio? Someone (vet nurse?) may be able to show you how to massage the leg and foot to help it function better. Otherwise, it is probably just a matter of time and patience as he could still regain more use of the foot.

As for his face and ear - a partner bun is very useful here. If he is on his own, you could wipe it with damp cottonwool.

My tripod bun manages OK with one front paw, but scratching the other ear is still frustrating him. He gets it checked out at the vet every so often to make sure there is no gunge down it. It was much better when he had a partner as she did all the bits he couldn't get to.

My little smokey was very poorly with EC and we nearly lost him. The vets firstly thought because there was so much going on (the EC making his eyes bad, nerve damage and loss of front paw, not eating because of this, which also ment his teeth was saw.... plus him having no balance at all) it was best to put smokey to sleep. She also said there was a chance it could be a brain tumour. Many weeks later and im soooo happy to say my Lil boy is nearly back to himself. Hopping around, putting the weight back on and has so much more balance.

Although he's better within himself his front paw still doesn't work and he's struggling to wash his face/ears as you can imagine. He trys really hard to pull the paw up to grab his ear and I can see its really bothering him. I tried scratching it for him but that must not be the problem. Is there any way I can help him clean it ?
I don't want to go pocking in there and hurting him.... but maybe a little bit of water on a cotton ball ?
Any ideas would be really appreciated
Xx

I am assuming the vet gave you Metacam to give to him whilst he was poorly. Could you ask the vet if it's appropriate for you to continue that now, given the front paw issues? It's not just a pain killer, but also an anti inflammatory and may help.

Can you scratch his ear for him? They need to scratch as you know, to get the debris out of their ears ..

Do you think there could be some arthritis in the front leg? E.C. usually affects hind limbs first, although it's possible it has affected the front leg too.

Personally I wouldn't poke anything down into his ear, but perhaps schedule a regular appointment with the vet or nurse to have a look down there with an otoscope, until he (hopefully) regains use of his paw.

Back