• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam dose - does this sound right?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
So Skye has been prescribed Meloxicam and it's come with a syringe graded by weight of animal, not ml of medication.

I've just noticed the label says to give her a 6kg dose twice daily, even though Skye's weight is 2.2kg. :? Is that normal? It works out as about 0.8ml per day total, I think, by comparing it to a normal 1ml syringe.

It's dog meloxicam at 1.5mg per ml. Skye has had her tail amputated and various other wounds cleaned and glued up.

Charlie is normally given 0.8ml a day when he needs metacam and he weighs about the same. I always draw it with the kg measured syringe and then measure it in to a 1ml syringe.

I haven't done the maths in my head but it certainly sounds pretty normal, is it the dog or cat metacam, I'm guessing dog? They metabolise it far faster than cats/dogs so they are prescribed doses multiple times the dog/cat range. One of my bunnies who is 2.7kg was prescribed up to 1ml twice daily and the vet said it could go higher for short periods of time if necessary.

So Skye has been prescribed Meloxicam and it's come with a syringe graded by weight of animal, not ml of medication.

I've just noticed the label says to give her a 6kg dose twice daily, even though Skye's weight is 2.2kg. :? Is that normal? It works out as about 0.8ml per day total, I think, by comparing it to a normal 1ml syringe.

It's dog meloxicam at 1.5mg per ml. Skye has had her tail amputated and various other wounds cleaned and glued up.

That total amount of dog Metacam sounds about right for the weight. I have also had rabbits who in extreme circumstances were put on twice that dose daily.

3x dog dose sounds about right for a standard dose - but you are dosing twice a day so it is at the top end of normal dosing at 6x dog dose weight per day. Sometimes the dose starts higher for several days and is then dropped to a longer term maintenance level. I am assuming that this is going to be a short term medication while the tail heals, so it should be fine. It makes a nice change to be prescribed a decent amount of pain relief after other posts on here that have been a lot lower.

That's exactly what dose I had to give for my Zucc too who pretty much weighs 2.2kg as well :) hope your worries have been put to rest and your Skye recovers soon!

Coco has recently had to have metacam for a bout of stasis. She weighs in at just over 3kg and her dosage was .9ml once per day, of the dog metacam, if that helps.

Back