• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucky feet

Hi all, one of my outdoor bunnies Biscuit seems to have a constantly dirty foot. Now, I know that it's not unusual for an outdoor bunny to have a dirty foot, but by dirty foot I mean one foot always seems to have a thick 'cake' on the bottom made up of mud, hay and poo. My question is, is this something I should be worried about and is there anything I can do to stop it? It doesn't cause any discomfort or anything like that but I'm worried it could do? I also worry that come summer, can he get flystrike on his foot?

Thank you for any advice that you can offer.

Last edited:
Hi, I take it that you've checked said foot and aside from it being dirty it's perfectly fine and healthy?

If the answer is yes then I don't know, maybe he's just constantly standing in a dirty area in a certain way that gets that foot so mucky. I see your concern re the flystrike if the "cake" contains poo though, but don't know what to suggest, sorry :( but I didn't want to read and run.

Hi, I take it that you've checked said foot and aside from it being dirty it's perfectly fine and healthy?

If the answer is yes then I don't know, maybe he's just constantly standing in a dirty area in a certain way that gets that foot so mucky. I see your concern re the flystrike if the "cake" contains poo though, but don't know what to suggest, sorry :( but I didn't want to read and run.
Yes I have, and it is fine, which confuses me all the more, seeing as it's only one foot and it doesn't happen to either of my other bunny's feet.

I have never heard of a rabbit getting flystrike anywhere other than their bums, so I'm not even sure if it can happen anywhere else, but as I'm not 100% sure that it can't then I am worried. He has a check up this Friday with his sister though so I guess I'll have to ask them about it. I guess at least it protects his hocks from possible injury though...every cloud. [emoji23] Thank you for responding anyway :)

that's unusual. could be putting more pressure on one foot for some reason. i know with bisc's arthritis, one foot would get worse then the other sore hock wise because of the way he was standing. hopefully the vet can shed some light :)

that's unusual. could be putting more pressure on one foot for some reason. i know with bisc's arthritis, one foot would get worse then the other sore hock wise because of the way he was standing. hopefully the vet can shed some light :)
If he was an elderly rabbit then I would probably be thinking that it may be arthritis, however he isn't even a year old yet so I figured that was very unlikely. I did wonder if it were cecos that were going uneaten but that wouldn't explain why it's only on one foot. I don't feed them a huge amount of pellets either which also makes me feel like it's unlikely that he's not eating his cecos. I'm more concerned about it being caused by an underlying issue because as far as I can tell, the poo 'cake' isn't an issue on it's own.

Thank you, I'm hoping the vet may know what's causing it and how to control it better as I'm at a loss [emoji37]

Some sort of neuropathy could be involved meaning he has reduced feeling in one leg

There are several possible causes of this so a consultation with a Vet is a good idea

Some sort of neuropathy could be involved meaning he has reduced feeling in one leg

There are several possible causes of this so a consultation with a Vet is a good idea
Oh gosh, that sounds serious [emoji37] He doesn't show any symptoms whatsoever of anything though? Like, he's never been poorly and he charges around like a loony [emoji23] I also touch that foot/leg to get a proper look at it and he always kicks it just like the other two bunnies do when I accidentally touch their feet?

Oh gosh, that sounds serious [emoji37] He doesn't show any symptoms whatsoever of anything though? Like, he's never been poorly and he charges around like a loony [emoji23] I also touch that foot/leg to get a proper look at it and he always kicks it just like the other two bunnies do when I accidentally touch their feet?

I'm sure a Vet check will put your mind at ease, it doesn't sound as though there is anything seriously wrong :) Neuropathy was just a possibility and in no way a certainty. Probably very unlikely.

To be honest I doubt there is anything serious :)

I have had this happen with buns as well, and it's never been anything to worry about in the slightest, so please don't get concerned!

It does happen sometimes, and whether it's the way they walk/hop, I just clean it up and all's well :D

I'm sure a Vet check will put your mind at ease, it doesn't sound as though there is anything seriously wrong :) Neuropathy was just a possibility and in no way a certainty. Probably very unlikely.
Oh OK, you had me worried for a second haha. I'll update you on Friday once he's seen the vet [emoji4]

To be honest I doubt there is anything serious :)

I have had this happen with buns as well, and it's never been anything to worry about in the slightest, so please don't get concerned!

It does happen sometimes, and whether it's the way they walk/hop, I just clean it up and all's well :D
Oh right, at least I'm not the only one haha. How do you clean it up? Because it looks as if the only way it can be cleaned up is by cutting it out, but I want to avoid this for obvious reasons.

Back