• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Third rabbit?

Alicia

Mama Doe
I've got a neutered male and spayed female pair, both around 7 years old. I've seen an advert for a 9 month old male Netherland dwarf and I'd really like to offer him a home. He's not from a rescue, I saw an advert in tesco. I would obviously ring his owner and talk about it, see what they think of him living with other rabbits because as far as I know he's on his own at the moment. Is this a bad idea? I know males aren't normally a good idea but Joey is so laid back, if either of them got annoyed I think it would be Izzy to be honest. I've bonded Izzy with makes before but never more than one. What are your opinions of this?

Personally I wouldn't risk breaking an existing bond by adding a third: you could end up with 3 singles.

Personally I wouldn't risk breaking an existing bond by adding a third: you could end up with 3 singles.

I agree. If you take on a third Rabbit you need to have a back up plan if worst case scenario happens. Then there's obviously the fact that the Nethie may need neutering/vaccinating/Dental treatment. If you can cover all possibilities then go for it, if not then I would not rock the boat.

I agree you need to consider all possibilities. I took on a 3rd rabbit, also a male. He was unneutered so if this rabbit is it is even more important to keep him away from your bonded pair until he is and his hormones have died down because I was told the smell of an unneutered male is more likely to cause referred aggression between your pair. Jake was (and is again) separated by two doors, a hall and bathroom and before he was neutered we would change our clothes and wash our hands before going through to the rooms where Beano and Gordon are.

Beano and Gordon didn't seem to notice to the addition of Jake and once all hormones had died down which takes quite a long time I decided to try and bond them. It went quite well with only a few scuffles between the two boys, Beano's bond with Gordon didn't seem to change which is what I was most worried about. I took it very slowly and introduced them to a small ish space in the bedroom when they were all settled in the neutral bathroom space and things continued to go well until one day I got back and what looked like a big fight had occurred. Tufts of Gordon and Jakes fur were all over the pen and Gordon had several small wounds which I took him to the vets for and luckily they were just cleaned, no stitches were needed.

I won't ever rebond them to risk this happening again, thankfully Beano and Gordon's bond was never affected and Jake lives separated again until we move in the summer when I can realistically adopt a female companion for him. So things can work but always have a back up incase, can you realistically have four rabbits? And have the space incase they don't get on and you're original pair fall out and need rebonding? I'd also listen to your gut, I had a feeling things would work out if we adopted Jake and they have, not quite to plan as my trio didn't work but he is free range in the front half of my flat with me or my OH giving him attention until in a few months he can have company of his own kind. :)

Don't do it. You're young and your domestic circumstances might change. Don't add a further rabbit - its another burden to carry.

I feel like everyone says don't do it as it will ruin a bond but in my eyes and from experience, if your rabbits really are bonded then they will stay bonded regardless as to if the new bunny bonds with them. Personally I prefer trios and have never had a problem adding a third. I have a video on bonding my trio if you haven't already seen it if that would help you come to a decision.

If you have funds and space then I don't see a problem with it personally.

burden :shock:? Everything we love could be considered a burden as the things we love we put our heart & soul in to protecting, but things we love nourish us & add value to our lives? Well for me my bunnies have never been a burden although i appreciate they are a huge commitment.

Personally I think adding a third bunny is difficult enough without having to go through neutering, health checks, potential treatment & keeping them separated & settled until they are ready to bond. In this situation I'd only ever get the third bunny from a rescue that neuters, vaccinates & would facilitate an introductory meeting.

My normally steady nerves were in tatters initially. It can be really hard work emotionally so i'd bear in mind how well your personality fits with trio bonding (mine doesn't).

How common it is that the original pair fall out I really don't know but everyone says it. the fact that its possible obviously means that you need a plan b. I didn't actually have a plan b, just steely determination to make it work. A creative solution would have been found if need be:)

burden :shock:?

Yes. As a young woman with accommodation to sort out from time to time as her circumstances change, additional rabbit/s could be a burden.

I would love love love to add another rabbit to my two and make them into a trio, but I simply wouldn't do it based on the fact that I could not house three rabbits if it was to go wrong, if my pair had a fight I could house the two of them, but not three.

I'd also never forgive myself if I upset my harmonious pair by adding another.

Back