• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Absolute disaster here U/D she's gone

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
Some of you know that my bonded pair Skye and Herb started scrapping last week. I separated them and put them in adjacent pens separated by more than 2 foot high barrier and hung a sheet over it so they could have some privacy and not get stressed out by seeing each other all the time. I pegged sheets over the tops of each pen too in case of jumping although neither of them have ever jumped high or shown any signs of wanting to.

I was intending to wait a fortnight then re-bond in a neutral area but yesterday after over a week with no problems Herb somehow managed to jump out of his pen, forcing off all the pegs, got into Skye's side, attacked her then jumped back into his own pen where I found him when I got back from work.

Poor Skye has awful injuries and has had to have her beautiful tail amputated. She is still at the vets after having a lot of work done under GA this afternoon. She is such a sweet gentle rabbit and I'm devastated that this has happened to her when I just wanted her to have a rabbit companion to keep her happy. :(

I went to visit her twice today at the vets to take her some herbs and give her noserubs. She seemed ok although understandably a bit groggy after the anaesthetic. Please think of her and wish her a problem-free recovery.

I realise I should have built some kind of elaborate fortress to keep them separate but I honestly believed they couldn't access each other. I have learnt my lesson and feel absolutely **** for failing her. :(

Last edited:
I am so very sorry to read this, poor girl. I hope she makes a full recovery and sadly it sounds like they won't ever get along. :(

He has already been returned to the rescue I adopted him from, who kindly found room for him to keep Skye safe. I always promised I'd never rehome a rabbit but enough is enough. :(

Aww bless her, I hope she recovers soon! Don't beat yourself up about it though, you weren't to know that he would be able to do that, especially as you had actually put a cover over the top of his pen. You were just trying to do what's best for her and I'm sure that she knows that :)

Oh poor Skye :(

she & you have had such a rough ride recently losing the wonderful Apache & now this. Please don't blame yourself for either this or having to rehome Herb.

Sending Skye a thousand get well wishes

I'm so sorry. I hope Skye heals well and sorry you've had to say goodbye to Herb. Thinking of you.

Sorry to read this. Sending get well vibes for poor Skye.

Don't feel bad for re-homing, it must feel terrible, but I think it will be kinder for both in the long run.

Thanks guys

I just don't get it, they were so happy together, look

021_zpsv646rr9v.jpg

Can't believe my poor old lady has lost her tail because of this :(

Oh no I'm so sorry, poor Skye. I hope she makes a quick recovery bless her. Nose rubs for your beautiful girl xxxx

I am really so sorry this has happened :( You must be feeling quite devastated.

Sending lots of vibes for Skye.

I'm so sorry :cry: sending lots of vibes for Skye, I hope she makes a quick recovery.

You shouldn't blame yourself xx

She is home!! The vets are very pleased with her progress.

She looks horrific as they had to shave a lot of her back to stitch up other wounds and obviously her tail is gone. :( But she seems quite perky, in the last ten minutes she's demolished a pile of hay and two pear twigs. I've given her a very low sided litter tray as I don't think she's up to jumping into the normal one.

Now she just has to heal up without getting any infection which will be tricky as there are so many wounds and stitches around her tail area :( But I'm sure we will manage :)

ETA Hook Norton vets have been absolutely amazing, I highly recommend them. They even phoned up to invite me to visit her in the hospital yesterday which is something I've never had from any other practice!

Oh bless her. I hope she makes a speedy recovery. Sending lots of gentle nose rubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I missed all this.
I'm glad Skye is now home and is so bright.

Please don't feel bad about giving Herb back. At the end of the day you're looking out for their welfare and you made the right choice.

x

Back