• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to feed recently weaned rabbits?

quiren

New Kit
The doe recently had weaned her bunnies and now I'm feeding them the same pellets I feed her. But I'm worried that this is not enough for them. I know I should I feed them hay, but it's sometimes difficult to find in my city. Is it possible to feed them any kind of vegetables? If so, please tell me the most recommended ones. The little bunnies are one month old. They had stolen some of their mother's lettuce and tomato, but I don't let them eat much in case it's bad for them.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Can you pick some grass? Are you sure Mum has wesned the babies, 4 weeks is quite young for domestic rabbits and I would think that if Mum is eating things they should be ok for the babies, then they will slowly become accustomed to them. This is what I have done in the past.

Can you pick some grass? Are you sure Mum has wesned the babies, 4 weeks is quite young for domestic rabbits and I would think that if Mum is eating things they should be ok for the babies, then they will slowly become accustomed to them. This is what I have done in the past.

I'm not 100% sure, but the doe doesn't let the bunnies to be close to her at any time of the day. She sometimes even tries to attack them.

They can eat the same foods as mum :)

All rabbits (big and small) need some form of grass/hay though to keep them healthy. If you can't buy hay then picking or growing grass is fine as an alternative.

Don't make any fast changes to the diets of your young bunnies. The pellets you are giving mom will be fine for now. Try to add some grass hay even if you have to obtain it through online ordering.
At that age, the babies can pester mom a lot, so mom may be feeding them at night or in the morning even though they are also eating her pellets.
Don't add too much of any one new item, or too many different new items-even vebetables-too quickly. Give your bunnies time to adjust to any change in diet.

Back