• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Floor Covering

bunnymum85

Warren Scout
Hello,

What do you all use to cover the floor in your bunny homes?
Or do you feel is best?

Both of mine are outdoors.

ALOT of people put non slip lino in their hutches because it's much easier to clean.

-fleece
-puppy pads
-straw/hay
-newspaper

Using straw/hay I find your wasting a lot. Puppy pads are easy for cleaning as you can only take one out at a time if it gets dirty. Blancket are also good because they keep the bunny warm but you have to wash regularly and fur gets stuck to them. Be careful with washing machines when washing also.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I use non slip lino and blankets/fleecy dressing gowns as bedding. When it comes to washing the bedding I put it in a horse rug wash bag.

Another non slip Lino user here for my outdoor buns! I find it a lot easier to clean and it protects the hutch floor too. I have a couple of small hand towels or a light fleece blanket in their bedding area too.

Lino in the shed, covered with about 9 inches of straw, then hay on top (for snacking). In warmer weather just Lino and hay in their beds.

Lino on the floor, carpet on the windowsill. Newspaper on the floor and one of the stools (the one under the hay rack) when it's wet and won't dry quickly (so all winter). This is in a playhouse :)

Hello,

Thank you all for commenting.

I notice no one uses wood shavings, is there a reason for that?
The vet beds look great, I've heard of them before and look snuggley. I make my own bunny boxes, as shop toys for them are pretty poor and small. They love a good box lol!

Also, where do you all buy your hay from? I used to buy from timothyhay.co.uk based in Scotland, but stopped using it incase that's where my bunnies caught the parasite from causing the head tilt etc.
So I buy around 6/7 varieties (rod for my own back, very spoilt) and the bunnies pick what they fancy!!!
Timothy/long stranded/dried grass/Timothy with chamomile/Timothy with herbs/jollyes hay/alfalfa King.

I also use occasional straw in their boxes, to snuggle. Is that okay, and if they eat a little?

Back