• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Identifying bunny breed, pls help!

Vjeverica

New Kit
Hey guys!

So i have my bunnies, pumpkin and kale, for a few months now, the store said they were madagascan dwarf bunnies, but i cant find any info on the internet on them, and i wanna read up and learn more about their breed of bunnies in general, and i have visited this forum a lot since i got them so i hope you can help me!
8c932eb1cdf8245518c6803218a7f090.jpg

2017e048af5fed2d6ccb607979eeac01.jpg
3c9e730dc4c75f1da3f4d3260bf37d34.jpg

Last edited:
Hi they look like mini lops to me,although I may be wrong. Maybe some more experienced members will give you a more definite answer. Hope this helps.

They really do look a lot like them! I dont know, i never had bunnies before so i am pretty lost xD but i want to find out so that i can learn more about them and make them happy (and hope that kale finally forgives me for taking him to the vet to get him fixed... boy can he hold a grudge.... )

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I will try and dig up a picture of my mini lop if it helps(she's a bridge bun) They are gorgeous bunnies! I love lop ears on a bun,my rabbit is a LionLop.

Madagascar tort is the coloring of the fur. Dwarf lop is the breed, though I agree that they appear to look more like Mini lops(holland lops if in the US). Their mature adult weight will give you a better idea of which one they are. Over 2 kg more likely to be dwarf lop.

Pumpkin was just over 2kg about a month ago when we took her to the vet (she just have birth [all 4 babies dead :( ] and i wanted to have her checked up) and kale was about 1.6kg 2 and a half months ago. Vet said it was normal weight for his size, altho i gotta weigh him tomorrow because he feels skinnier :/ especially if he is dwarf lop, the internet says they are from 1.9 kg, and hes under that xD

Thank you both for your help, tho! Really means a lot <3

They probably are dwarf lops then, just on the smaller side. The weight range that is given for the breed is just approximate, not exact. So even if he is under the usual weight for the breed, he can still be a dwarf lop. Since the store told you the correct coloring, then the breed they gave you is probably correct too.

Looking at their pictures again, they do look to have the dwarf lop look to them. Of course I'm going off of the breed characteristics in the US. I'm not sure how it differs in the UK if it does at all.

When i google dwarf lops, there are photos of bun-buns that look exactly like mine! More than there are in mini lops google search! From the dark fur arround their nose and face to the markings on their butts and their grumpy posture xD yay, i think you identified them! Thank you!

Last edited:
Dwarf lops can be wonderful. Elphie's a dwarf lop (my only one now - Galinda and Archimedes are both bridge buns). Enjoy them - and good on you for doing all this research. :) It's worth it!

Back