• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

All change in tlc's home for wayward buns.

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
So, River and Morning's bond just wouldn't stick. :( They came to me from Pets for Profit's Support Adoption... area, having been there for six months or so (but moved from a different store). Unusually, they had been spayed whilst in the charity because they are just both so aggressive. :(

On my visit back with them, for vaccinations, I was told that they had a loose bond after I questioned the information about them already being spayed. The member of staff I spoke to then seemed a lot more knowledgeable about their story than the guy who sold them to me (and forgot to give me their vaccs vouchers. It was a palaver getting them but we got there eventually).

Anyway, I was told they were only comparatively recently spayed, so hormones might not have died down, a new home, etc etc.

However, Rivergrace still kept hassling Morningstar, especially over food, but sometimes just because.

Coming down to see Morning with a scab in her ear, and fur everywhere wasn't a pretty sight. :( Both girls are still aggressive towards both humans and each other, so I knew enough was enough and they had to be separated. :( Kind of gutted as they came together, with instructions to keep them together. :(

Having no idea what else to do, I took Morning out, cleaned the crate and decided... of all things... to try bonding her into the trio. AND IT WORKED!

Again, it was a rather quick bond, with Elphie still clearly ruling the roost. Morning seems a lot happier out with them and is already less aggressive. She is a bit peturbed by the madness of the other three (running around their system to get wherever is closest to get my attention) and so on, but it's a big adjustment for her. And again, I have been so lucky. I put a lot of it down to the rexes (Helios and Selene) being such a calm and accepting pair. But I also will be keeping a close eye on them.

This means Rivergrace is now on her own. She is still human aggressive and very tightly wound, though it doesn't seem quite so bad as it was with Morning. I am at a loss how to proceed though. Is she the kind of bunny who might be best left on her own? Does she need a big personality buck? Or a super submissive buck? She currently lives in the dining room, but if we adopt a buck, she will be moved outside. She might be moved outside anyway. My OH talked about returning her back for adoption, but you can't guarantee the kind of home she'd get through that specific charity. So we aren't letting her go. We just don't know what would be best for her. :(

Really: How do you solve a problem like Rivergrace???

(Photos of the quad tomorrow. Hopefully!)

Congratulations on the easy quad bond first of all - looking forward to photos.

In my opinion its way too early to say Rivergrace doesn't like other bunnies. I'd try her with a buck who is neither timid nor feisty. Can you use a rescue (just thinking of returning him being easier if it doesn't work out & possibly offer initial introductory meeting, plus the benefit of their knowing their personality)

Congratulations on the easy quad bond first of all - looking forward to photos.

In my opinion its way too early to say Rivergrace doesn't like other bunnies. I'd try her with a buck who is neither timid nor feisty. Can you use a rescue (just thinking of returning him being easier if it doesn't work out & possibly offer initial introductory meeting, plus the benefit of their knowing their personality)

She definitely has a very difficult personality for me to read! She's permanently angry and lashing out. :( Poor girl. I hope we can sort her. Finances are a little tight at the moment so I can't do anything in the imminent future. Selene still needs spaying (had vaccs done last week) and I don't know quite what to do. Nessarose was very tightly wound when I first got her, but mellowed immediately after spay. But River's already spayed...

The rescue I got Apollo from doesn't do bunny dating. And their bonding list is always long, which is why I do it myself. If I knew River had already met and tolerated a buck it'd be a slightly more comforting ballgame. Last time we were there (picking up Polly) most of their single bucks were wildie crosses - and that sounds like a match made in hell!

I guess when the newest set up is ready, it wouldn't hurt to ask them what singles they have available. I feel like I'm always looking for bucks for my does right now!

As for the bonding from three to four: it's all luck! Just hoping Morning relaxes into the group now. :)

Just throwing this out there as I have no idea...but is there a chance River would bond in to the quad..maybe their sibling rivalry would be less pronounced with your nice natured boys to distract her. Probably another thought I shouldn't have typed out :lol:

Just throwing this out there as I have no idea...but is there a chance River would bond in to the quad..maybe their sibling rivalry would be less pronounced with your nice natured boys to distract her. Probably another thought I shouldn't have typed out :lol:
See, I was thinking that too (not that I know much) but I've heard that bad bonds can fizzle with larger groups. It's up to you whether you think it's worth the risk though, as I think it can also destroy the existing quad :S Might be worth reading more on it. Regardless, I think it's be best to leave it until after Selene's done and recovered: it'll give you more stable options and it won't be too long for River I expect, as long as you can cope with it!

At least you've got one less unhappy bunny, which is a great start, and you're not ignoring the River problem: not knowing what to do is not failing :)

The quad is actually 3 does and a buck! Helios is lovely, but there's only so much of him to go around. ;)

Went to look for runs in PetsforProfit and Mum came home with a buck from the adoption part. (River, strictly speaking, is hers.) Takumi. Even though he is not yet neutered things seem to be going ok. Ugh gosh, wish us luck.

Went to look for runs in PetsforProfit and Mum came home with a buck from the adoption part. (River, strictly speaking, is hers.) Takumi. Even though he is not yet neutered things seem to be going ok. Ugh gosh, wish us luck.
Geeegh, you don't really do easy in your family, do you! :lol: Very best of luck!

Geeegh, you don't really do easy in your family, do you! :lol: Very best of luck!

I know right?

Takumi & River are actually bonding REALLY well. I keep getting lucky with bonds. Especially this year! First introducing Helios & Selene to Elphie, and them bonding in an hour. Then, adding Morning to them. Now, River & Takumi (or 'little one')

Back