• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ocassional brown mucous in stools. (Contains link to image that might be distressing)

Santi

New Kit
Greetings, first of all I would like to say hello as this is my first post in the community. My name is Santiago, I have a mini lion loop named Totoro, he is 9 months old. I discovered this community a few months ago, and seeing that people here are always helpful and welcoming I decided to register and try to get a bit of help with a recent problem I've been having with him.

I got Totoro about two months and a half ago, my partner and me both, are new rabbit owners. About a month ago he started passing some soft and sticky stools from time to time, and they were covered in a similar mucous as the cecotropes, so we took him to the vet. As we were giving him maybe a bit too much broccoli at the beggining (he loves it) vet told me to cut a bit on the veg and gave me Fibreplex. He was doing fine for a while after that, till he got some of the soft stools again. Vet gave me again some fibreplex. About a week and a half ago he got pinworms, we were really worried cause the stools at the beggining were quite soft, with more brown mucous than usual and also some of the stools had the pinworms. Vet visit again and she gave us Panacur for a 7 days treatment. Also after 3 days treatment we took a stool sample to the vet so they could analyse it. On the fourth day of treatment the worms were gone, at least looking at the stools. He was still passing some not so good looking stools but at least the worms dissapeared. Results came back yesterday after a few days since we finished the Panacur treatment. They couldn't find anything in the stool sample besides some pinworm eggs, (I was really worried that he might have coccidia because of the brown mucus) but then again the stools were from only a third day of treatment with Panacur. Problem is that for two nights in a row he passed at least once during the day (usually in the evening) some really mucousy stools. He passes his normal stools and from time to time some soft and darker stools that ocassionally will come with the brown mucous ones. Picture attached from one that I found yesterday night. He is eating and drinking normal, he is a bit underweight, but recently since we got him the Burgess herbage, he seems to be eating more hay (before he was having Pets at home timothy hay which he wouldn't eat as much). He also seems to eat his cecotropes as we haven't been finding any uneaten ones. In 14 days after his Panacur treatment, the vet told me to give Totoro another gradation, and then 3 days after that last gradation we need to get another stool sample to analyse. To give you an idea of what his diet is, we usually give him a handful of pellets in the morning (Burgess Excel pellets) he has his unlimited supply of timothy hay (Burgess herbage with marigold and dandellion), and then at night (not every night), a few veggies. We are trying now with a bit of green beans and coriander and sometimes a bit of kale. Do you think the brown mucous could be related to the recent pinworms infection or do you think it can possibly be something else related to the bowel function?

Here is the picture that I took:
https://i.imgsafe.org/06b5c64.jpg

Best regards.

Hi Santiago, welcome to RU.

I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge or advice to share. Hopefully someone will be along soon

I cannot diagnose your issue. Many, many, years ago I had some young bunnies who developed mucoid enteritis and it was a serious condition. My bunnies had an overgrowth of a bacteria strain which I think was clostridia.
It sounds like your bunny's issue is not acute, so it may be something different.
My advice is to limit the diet, including certain vegetables that have higher sugar contents. Add any new foods slowly so you can see how your bunny reacts over time. Some individual rabbits cannot tolerate some foods as well as others, even foods that have a lot of nutrients.
Good luck and please keep us informed of your bunny's progress.

Last edited:
The brown mucus is indicative of inflammation within the GI tract.

Have you tried him on a no pellet diet or at least a different type of pellet ? Fibafirst is a 'stick' rather than a pellet and I think it is one of the best concentrated feeds for Rabbits

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-food-.../fibafirst-monoforage-feed-for-rabbits-p-9029

It might be a good idea to do a process of elimination to see if one specific dietary item is causing problems. I have one Rabbit who cannot have any type of pellet feed/muesli mix at all. He has a diet of a wide variety of hays/forages/grass and some fresh herbs.

It's just my personal opinion, but I think dietary sensitivities can be an issue for Rabbits and that concentrated feed (pellets etc) are often the culprits.

As with any dietary changes you would need to take things slowly and I'd also discuss it all with the Vet treating your Rabbit. Weighing your Rabbit a couple of times a week is a good idea too, in order to monitor how he is doing.

Greetings, thank you very much for all your answers, we really appreciate it. I'll give you the update on Totoro: It's been three days since I took the picture of the mucous stool (thread was waiting for approval so I actually wrote it a day before) and so far we haven't seen any of the stools like in the picture, fingers crossed... He is though, been passing some of the darker and bit stickier stools, specially at night. I was wondering if that's a normal thing on rabbits? Usually he will do his normal brown and round stools in the morning and part of the afternoon, but then in the evening he starts passing some dark stools. They are round and seem to be covered in a very thin layer of mucous. I know cecotropes start to be produced at night-time usually, so I was wondering if maybe for the stools is also normal to have that appearance? Another thing that got me really concerned this morning was that he has been passing quite a few really small stools since yesterday afternoon, alongside normal size ones. My partner has been with him all morning, and she says most of the stools were normal in size, and that he has been eating, drinking and active as usual, but still he just produced some of them not long ago, small and dark...

In regards to your posts guys, I wanted to ask you Jack's-Jane, if those sticks could act as a substitute of normal pellets. I read that the sticks also have alfalfa, would that be alright for his tummy? We haven't cut on pellets ever yet, and the reason behind it, it's cause he is a bit under his weight. We are afraid that maybe cutting the pellets would be too much, we did though change brands. He was having before either Chudleys rabbit pellets or Allen & Page, and right now he is having Burgess Excel with mint. This past few days we were trying to give him a bit less than his usual dose, but we would like to try alternatives to see if things go a bit better. I'm sorry for all the questions... We are really worried about him, and sometimes vets don't cover all the answers. He is getting another stool sample at the end of this month, we were also thinking if getting a blood test would be a good thing to do also? Just in case something is wrong and they can't tell by the stools.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Greetings, thank you very much for all your answers, we really appreciate it. I'll give you the update on Totoro: It's been three days since I took the picture of the mucous stool (thread was waiting for approval so I actually wrote it a day before) and so far we haven't seen any of the stools like in the picture, fingers crossed... He is though, been passing some of the darker and bit stickier stools, specially at night. I was wondering if that's a normal thing on rabbits? Usually he will do his normal brown and round stools in the morning and part of the afternoon, but then in the evening he starts passing some dark stools. They are round and seem to be covered in a very thin layer of mucous. I know cecotropes start to be produced at night-time usually, so I was wondering if maybe for the stools is also normal to have that appearance? Another thing that got me really concerned this morning was that he has been passing quite a few really small stools since yesterday afternoon, alongside normal size ones. My partner has been with him all morning, and she says most of the stools were normal in size, and that he has been eating, drinking and active as usual, but still he just produced some of them not long ago, small and dark...

In regards to your posts guys, I wanted to ask you Jack's-Jane, if those sticks could act as a substitute of normal pellets. I read that the sticks also have alfalfa, would that be alright for his tummy? We haven't cut on pellets ever yet, and the reason behind it, it's cause he is a bit under his weight. We are afraid that maybe cutting the pellets would be too much, we did though change brands. He was having before either Chudleys rabbit pellets or Allen & Page, and right now he is having Burgess Excel with mint. This past few days we were trying to give him a bit less than his usual dose, but we would like to try alternatives to see if things go a bit better. I'm sorry for all the questions... We are really worried about him, and sometimes vets don't cover all the answers. He is getting another stool sample at the end of this month, we were also thinking if getting a blood test would be a good thing to do also? Just in case something is wrong and they can't tell by the stools.

Best regards.

Yes, Fibafirst sticks can be fed instead of other types of pellets. Alfalafa is actually excellent for the GI tract. It does have a high calcium content, but fed in appropriate quantities to a Rabbit with no history of bladder sludge/stones it should not cause any problems. Bladder sludge/stones can occur as a result of a calcium build up in the bladder. Many other pellets also contain Alfalafa.

As an aside, what colour is Toroto ? Believe it or not the question is relevant !

As for a blood test. It may be useful to check on his Liver function, along with other things.

Does Totoro eat plenty of good quality hay? Just a reminder that any change of food - apart from hay - in quantity or type, should be made gradually, no sudden change.

Greetings, we will give Fibafirst sticks a try then. He doesn't have a history of bladder sludge/stones as far as we know. As Babsie well mentions, we will make sure to introduce them gradually, but just as a guidance, what would be the normal dose of sticks?

In regards to the colour he is a chocolate chin mini loop, long haired. Babsie, he gets quite a lot of Burgess herbage with dandellion and marigold, but as I was reading some of the other posts, I read more than once that is actually not a bad idea to mix also other types of herbages and hays. He loves this hay, and seems to be eating it just fine, but we want to get him to eat more so he can increase his weight.

This is him:
https://i.imgsafe.org/5c25b34.jpg

This is a picture of the stools that I was talking about before:
https://i.imgsafe.org/91e1739.jpg
Yesterday night and this morning he was passing quite a few of them, but as you can see, there's also normal stools in there.

Thanks again for all the help.

Best regards.

Greetings, I'm giving a bump to this post, but mainly because of one question. I have ordered some Fibafirst Sticks for Totoro to see if we get better results with them than with the pellets. I was wondering if any of you have tried it, I know Jack's-Jane probably, cause you recommended them to me, just wondering how much should I start feeding him daily on his diet.

Best regards.

Greetings, I'm giving a bump to this post, but mainly because of one question. I have ordered some Fibafirst Sticks for Totoro to see if we get better results with them than with the pellets. I was wondering if any of you have tried it, I know Jack's-Jane probably, cause you recommended them to me, just wondering how much should I start feeding him daily on his diet.

Best regards.

I'd just start off with one stick of it first and see how his GI tract copes. If you break a stick up a bit it releases the aroma which can make it appear more appetising to the Rabbit. How much you go on to feed him each day depends on the weight and overall metabolic rate of your individual Rabbit. Weighing your Rabbit every 2-3 days is a good way to monitor things.

I'd just start off with one stick of it first and see how his GI tract copes. If you break a stick up a bit it releases the aroma which can make it appear more appetising to the Rabbit. How much you go on to feed him each day depends on the weight and overall metabolic rate of your individual Rabbit. Weighing your Rabbit every 2-3 days is a good way to monitor things.

That's great, hopefully he will love them. Should I keep feeding him a bit of the old pellets in his diet to not cut them all the sudden?
As always thank you very much for your answers, they are much appreciated.

Best Regards.

That's great, hopefully he will love them. Should I keep feeding him a bit of the old pellets in his diet to not cut them all the sudden?

Best Regards.

I'd slightly reduce his usual pellets gradually as you simultaneously increase the quantity of Fibafirst. Hay should form at least 80% of the diet, it is far more important that pelleted feeds of any kind. A healthy adult Rabbit can do very well on a diet of a wide variety of hays, grass, dried and fresh forage and dried and fresh herbs. The dont really need a hard feed at all.

I'd slightly reduce his usual pellets gradually as you simultaneously increase the quantity of Fibafirst. Hay should form at least 80% of the diet, it is far more important that pelleted feeds of any kind. A healthy adult Rabbit can do very well on a diet of a wide variety of hays, grass, dried and fresh forage and dried and fresh herbs. The dont really need a hard feed at all.

Will do. Right now he is only on timothy hay, but I was planning to get him different types from now on, like orchard, meadow or oat hays aswell to encourage him to eat more everyday. Also getting some forages probably on the hay experts.

Best regards.

Best Regards.

Please don't cut out pellets suddenly. His system will need time to adapt. Although some rabbits can fare well on a diet without pellets, unless you are able to give a wide variety of fresh (veggies and forage) and dried (hays and grasses) food, then I would advise keeping a very small number of pellets in the diet.

Normally the recommendation is one egg cup full per adult rabbit, but I often give less than this amount.
Good luck xx

Please don't cut out pellets suddenly. His system will need time to adapt. Although some rabbits can fare well on a diet without pellets, unless you are able to give a wide variety of fresh (veggies and forage) and dried (hays and grasses) food, then I would advise keeping a very small number of pellets in the diet.

Normally the recommendation is one egg cup full per adult rabbit, but I often give less than this amount.
Good luck xx

I will still keep them for a while and see how he gets used to the new food. At the moment he still has some poop issues so I want to adapt his diet as best as possible so we don't have more problems.
Thank you very much for your answers.

Best regards.

Will do. Right now he is only on timothy hay, but I was planning to get him different types from now on, like orchard, meadow or oat hays aswell to encourage him to eat more everyday. Also getting some forages probably on the hay experts.

Best regards.

It is a good thought to try different hays if your bunny is not eating enough of the timothy hay. At one time I had purchased every type of Oxbow hay they had available. Some of my bunnies could not tolerate some of the types so I went back to mostly timothy hay. Even with the timothy hay, I would introduce a fresh batch slowly mixing it with the old batch since different fields and times of year resulted in greener or stiffer hay.

It is a good thought to try different hays if your bunny is not eating enough of the timothy hay. At one time I had purchased every type of Oxbow hay they had available. Some of my bunnies could not tolerate some of the types so I went back to mostly timothy hay. Even with the timothy hay, I would introduce a fresh batch slowly mixing it with the old batch since different fields and times of year resulted in greener or stiffer hay.

Yes, I would do that too. I was thinking on keep getting the same brand of timothy or at least timothy to keep feeding him and mix it with the other types of hay. As for your experience, which types of hay do you think are better? I was thinking some orchard hay, maybe oat hay or meadow too? There is so many out there I don't know where to start sometimes.

Best regards.

Yes, I would do that too. I was thinking on keep getting the same brand of timothy or at least timothy to keep feeding him and mix it with the other types of hay. As for your experience, which types of hay do you think are better? I was thinking some orchard hay, maybe oat hay or meadow too? There is so many out there I don't know where to start sometimes.

Best regards.

Eventually I settled on meadow and timothy based on what my bunnies would eat and what did not give them gas. It was organic meadow hay. I was disappointed in some of the brands of packaged hay that were inconsistent quality, or it smelled moldy/musty; so I just used the one brand (Oxbow). Even so, there are different cuttings on the timothy hay (now my local store has third cutting timothy hay which is much greener) so that is why I suggest buying a new batch when you have enough of the old batch to mix with the new. If I have a choice, I get the second cutting timothy hay.

Back