• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fallout after hospitalisation

Nyx

Young Bun
Hi all Bigwig was hospitalised with gutt stasis on Friday and was released on Sunday night. Bigwig and Coco have always been a tight knit pair they adore each other but since Bigwig got out of hospital they've been bickering. Whenever Coco approaches to wash Bigsy the two start bickering. I'm not sure if it's because he smells different, she's trying to become the dominant of the pair or he's in pain and is lashing out. Has anyone had any experience with this?

This seems to happen quite a lot. Sometimes when a bonded pair have been parted one has to reassert the dominance so they know who's boss. Maybe putting them in a neutral space for a day or 2 might help?

That's a shame when they fall out, it could be that Bigwig could still be very wary as he's been manhandled over the last few days and is still a bit frightened so is taking it out on Coco. He could still be in pain, I take it you were sent home with pain relief to give him?

If possible, as tonibun suggested, putting them in a new, neutral space may help, as it will be new territory for both of them so they can explore it together and hopefully that will repair the bond.

In future though, may I suggest that if one of your bunnies has to be hospitalised, you take both. Most, if not all, vets will accept a bonded pair to look after, even if it only the one which needs treatment, as they know how delicate the bond can be. I always take both of mine to the vet, even if it's just for a check-up, and if one is ill and has to stay overnight, then they both stay together.

I hope that Coco and Bigwig rebuild their bond soon for you.

It's also part of their natural instincts, in a wild situation a poorly rabbit attracts predators so it is in the warrens best interest to oust the poorly bun to keep the rest of them safe. In my experience it's usually pretty easy to rebond them once the poorly bun is better, but you may need to start in a small neutral space until things calm down.

Back