• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Oliver happy still after loosing Rosie?

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
I had 3 buns Rosie Oliver and Cody . They all snuggled together but Rosie and Oliver more so . Oliver adored Rosie and followed her everywhere. We said goodbye to Rosie in July :( and though Oliver and Cody snuggle and groom Oliver just seems lost. Rosie was very outgoing whereas Cody is a nervous bun and feels safe in his box shelters but will venture from the kitchen to the garden and is strangely ok in that open space ! Cody will not go down the hall . Oliver will go all over the house . I just feel sad that Oliver has lost the love of his life. Cody doesnt run about the house the way Rosie did with Oliver kways running behind her. Oliver sits alot. Is he happy with Cody do u think ? They do get on well . Do boy buns need a girl in the group? I feel so bad that Oliver is so lonely but I couldn't get another bun as financially and emotionally I couldn't do it . Am I being cruel to expect him to live the rest of his life like this ?? He is only 6. It breaks my heart seeing him in the bedroom on his own sometimes. Cody is happy and easy pleased. Always was.

Last edited:
I had 3 buns Rosie Oliver and Cody . They all snuggled together but Rosie and Oliver more so . Oliver adored Rosie and followed her everywhere. We said goodbye to Rosie in July :( and though Oliver and Cody snuggle and groom Oliver just seems lost. Rosie was very outgoing whereas Cody is a nervous bun and feels safe in his box shelters but will venture from the kitchen to the garden and is strangely ok in that open space ! Cody will not go down the hall . Oliver will go all over the house . I just feel sad that Oliver has lost the love of his life. Cody doesnt run about the house the way Rosie did with Oliver kways running behind her. Oliver sits alot. Is he happy with Cody do u think ? They do get on well . Do boy buns need a girl in the group? I feel so bad that Oliver is so lonely but I couldn't get another bun as financially and emotionally I couldn't do it . Am I being cruel to expect him to live the rest of his life like this ?? He is only 6. It breaks my heart seeing him in the bedroom on his own sometimes. Cody is happy and easy pleased. Always was.

If Oliver wanted to spend more time with Cody then he would, and are you really sure he is so lonely as you think? It does take time for 'love' to grow between bunnies in some cases, and sometimes they rub along together without feeling passionate about one another.

They have one another when they want it, despite being so different in character. Boy buns don't need a girl in the group, but dynamics change when one leaves, whoever it is. Very sad but true.

You are being the very opposite of cruel - you are considering their welfare and happiness and you've only ever done that. You've put your own life on hold to make sure they have the best of treatment and everything.

Nicky, you've said it above that they do get on well together. They are there for one another when they want to be. There are other circumstances where I've found rabbits don't stay in one another's company all day - for example when one is blind and the other not. The bond is different because the 'seeing' one will go all over the house and the other will wait. I know it's not quite the same, but it's just a different kind of relationship. But that doesn't mean it's bad or not working :)

I agree with Mightymax, you are anything but cruel & it sounds like your bunnies have lovely lives. Mouse is very reluctant to leave the lounge, Joe hangs out in the lounge & dining room & Boo goes everywhere ...I've worried many a time that Mouse gets lonely through her less adventurous nature

Max thanks for taking time to write a lovely and reassuring reply. Maybe your right, maybe Oliver is happier than I think. I know yes e would be happier with Rosie being there but I just have to accept the dynamic change. Funny I put the pair of them in the garden this evening just for half an hour and Oliver was binkying so maybe he is showing me he is ok. It's just I worry about their happiness ALOT !! The pair of them were snuggling and groom in earlier. I guess their relationship like u say won't be how it was with Rosie it's just different. But I am lucky I can see the good friendship between them even after Oliver pecks Cody the odd time. Cody is very forgiving!

Joey thanks too for ur reassurance it does mean alot. I thought I was the only one with a bun who only stayed in one room. I guess it's only natural when we see a bun on their own that they look lonely . Sounds like Cody and Mouse are very similar. That's funny how ur buns all have different room ranges that they are prepared to go to.

Thanks again both of u. I feel a bit better now and yous have msfe me see a different perspective on things. I know they r very lucky to have each other.

i get your anxiety..i've meant to ask advice here about raising Mouse's house confidence myself. OH is up before for me & sometimes finds Mouse Joey & Boo in the dining room & will reward them with a treat if Mouse is present. I seldom see it though. She bobs around the door like she wants to go out but darent :(

I think bunnies like Mouse & Cody do ok by bunny owners like us, they got lots of love, space, bunny company, top vet care. Someone once pointed out to me that Mouse might be entirely comfortable in her timid role. She comes when called (today even for my parents who visited) & loves a fuss. Her behaviours are happy but she sometimes has a nervous edge if that makes sense

Max thanks for taking time to write a lovely and reassuring reply. Maybe your right, maybe Oliver is happier than I think. I know yes e would be happier with Rosie being there but I just have to accept the dynamic change. Funny I put the pair of them in the garden this evening just for half an hour and Oliver was binkying so maybe he is showing me he is ok. It's just I worry about their happiness ALOT !! The pair of them were snuggling and groom in earlier. I guess their relationship like u say won't be how it was with Rosie it's just different. But I am lucky I can see the good friendship between them even after Oliver pecks Cody the odd time. Cody is very forgiving!

Joey thanks too for ur reassurance it does mean alot. I thought I was the only one with a bun who only stayed in one room. I guess it's only natural when we see a bun on their own that they look lonely . Sounds like Cody and Mouse are very similar. That's funny how ur buns all have different room ranges that they are prepared to go to.

Thanks again both of u. I feel a bit better now and yous have msfe me see a different perspective on things. I know they r very lucky to have each other.

Yes, I know. Worrying about their happiness, as with worrying about children, just doesn't go away! It's a sign and symptom of our caring, and as Joey&Boo says, they are lucky that they have guardians who care so much as to notice these small details and worry about them.

Our perceptiveness is their saviour, as in times of illness. Hiding their stuff is what rabbits are all about, so being Sherlock to their mysteriousness is great but we have to give ourselves a break sometimes and realise we're doing our utmost, as you are Nicky :D

Sleep well :D xx

Joey I think you are right about our nervous and timid buns being happy with us . I hate to think how Cody and even Oliver also would feel if they were in a hutch with little room and someone lifting them when they didn't want to. Cody like Mouse loves getting fussed over and will come to u if I have food ! The wee bin !! But I actually think Cody and Mouse sound so similar . Hopefully u will see Mouse in the dining room some morning with the others.

Max u put that so nicely about Sherlock and mysteriousness!! Yes ur right I will give myself can break I know I am doing everything I can for them. Thank u both for listening . I do feel bether about the situation now .

Back