• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding

rowan.godfrey

Alpha Buck
Both of my Conti's sneeze a bit. This started when I tried them on Timothy Hay, they were deemed by the vet to be allergic to it so I changed them to local farm hay. The first few bales I had were good but the last bale was extremely dusty. I now have hay from a different farm locally which seems to be practically dust free. They still sneeze occasionally and I think it's not helped by their bedding (Megazorb) which I think is super dusty.

I'm looking for dust free bedding suggestions, I have used the following so far, pros/cons below;

Megazorb - Super absorbent, low odour, big bags & cheap. Very dusty.

Back 2 Nature - Great! But bags (even 30L) way too small to be practical. Is there something similar to this that comes in a megazorb size bag?

Easibed - Dusty, not absorbent, did not like.

I am of course keeping in touch with the vets about the sneezing but want to do everything to mitigate the dust here as well!

Appreciate any views!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you tried simply putting hay on top of the megazorb? I use megazorb but due to how dusty it is I don't use it on it's own, instead I put a really thick layer of hay on top so even when they eat some of it there is still enough left on top to prevent the dust from getting up their noses.

fitch is brilliant and suited matt really well (chronic snuffle bunny) and suits bisc well now (mild snuffle bunny) - it is virtually dust free.

i wouldn't think your rabbits would be allergic to timothy hay. it's probably the particular one you were using. maybe try another from somewhere else? the timothyhay.co.uk one is lovely and non-dusty at all :wave:

Thanks all. I do put hay on top, but Alexandra is a digger and likes to bury herself under the hay & megazorb!

fitch is brilliant and suited matt really well (chronic snuffle bunny) and suits bisc well now (mild snuffle bunny) - it is virtually dust free.

i wouldn't think your rabbits would be allergic to timothy hay. it's probably the particular one you were using. maybe try another from somewhere else? the timothyhay.co.uk one is lovely and non-dusty at all :wave:

Thanks! It was the one from Timothyhay.co.uk, it caused really severe sneezing in my boy Che. It certainly wasn't dusty but the vet said it could be the particular pollens in Timothy and I think he had seen it before.

Back