• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

PM Results and further loss

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Acorns PM results suggested a chronic bacterial infection of unknown origin. I'm not really sure that helps us, we are still in the dark on how to treat the remaining buns. VHD has been ruled out.

To complicate matters further I had to rush Liquorice in as found her cold and lethargic. She was admitted immediately for antibiotics, fluid and bloods. Her bloods showed severe non regenerative anemia and the kindest thing was to let her go. :cry: Her white count was almost normal which doesn't fit with the infection.

My vets are going to do an in house pm to see if she shows the same signs as Acorn but I am uncomfortable submitting more samples to lab as I am not convinced we will learn anything new, it may be better to spend the money on getting the remaining bunnies health checked.

I am so sorry to read this especially as it is such a mystery at the moment. I expect you are suspecting everything, could it be the hay? I do hope you find out what is causing this, it won't bring your precious bunnies back but it might help.

Has Cocci been ruled out?

I honestly don't know. None of the rabbits have a reduced appetite and feces look totally normal and healthy. No diarrhea in any. Liquorice was the first I had any forewarning, She was still eating but very quiet and complient which wasn't her at all, the rest were fine one min gone the next. The liver was also found to be normal.

So sorry to hear about Liquorice, not sure what to say to make you feel any better at such a hard time, but I'm thinking of you x

Thinking of you. It must be so hard and not knowing the cause must be so very frightening.

Thank you all - the hay and food was thrown away over a week ago when I first started getting losses so there isn't the option of testing it.

There are no known lead products anywhere near the buns.

I cant offer any advice about your situation but just wanted to say again how sorry I am and you and your rabbits are in my thoughts xx

Oh no I'm so very sorry that you have lost another bunny :(

Hoping that you get some answers very soon xxx

Back