• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone guess approx age and breed of these two bunnies .....

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
..........my cousin got them from Pets at Home yesterday, was told they were both lops and that they were both 8 weeks old .....I'm doubtful on both counts but then I'm no expert ...... so could anyone please give me your best guess??

The spotty one is apparently chasing the smaller one and humping her and fur pulling.

Can anyone help please?

Tia xx

Well............neither have lopped ears (although that may change as they get older).
If they are from P@H, they are likely to be mixed breed anyway.
Neither of them look like proper babies in these pics - the smaller brown one is chunky round the front - possibly a bit of a dewlap?.
All P@H rabbits are supposed to be microchipped now - so it may give you some idea of how old they are from the data held on the register.

I would get them properly sexed elsewhere before your friend end up with a few more bunnies that they were not planning on.

Thanks Shimmer, I'm glad I'm not the only one that doubts what P@H have said ...... they told her they were both girls and so wouldn't ever fight!!! I've told her to get them to the vets asap to be sexed, vacc'd and MOT'd to see if they can be spayed.

Welllllll, I'm no expert but they both look fully grown, over 6 months?, neither are lop, in fact the brown one looks to have some Netherland Dwarf in the mix!

I agree. IMO definitely not babies and most likely not lop ears either. I'm going with mixed breed too! I could be wrong but the agouti one looks like it may have a tiny bit of nethie in her? I'm not an expert by any means though!

Thanks everyone. My cousin is panicking now as the larger of the two is really bothering the little one which is apparently very timid ...... the larger one keeps pinning her down to hump her ....... the guy at P@H told her not to worry unless they started drawing blood!!

Two un-neutered girls will definitely fight when they mature - as will 2 boys, most likely. If you have one of each, the inevitable will happen and she will end up with 2 unwanted litters before she knows what's happened.

You have given your cousin some good advice - keep asking if she has followed through. Point out that neutering as soon as they are old enough will be cheaper in the long run - and the rabbits will be happier. If they are not 2 girls, you could ask P@H for neutering vouchers as they made a mistake and mis-sold them (although they probably have a policy of not guaranteeing the sex of any animal - which is common to most pet shops)

Thanks everyone. My cousin is panicking now as the larger of the two is really bothering the little one which is apparently very timid ...... the larger one keeps pinning her down to hump her ....... the guy at P@H told her not to worry unless they started drawing blood!!

Definately get them sexed, then neutered and then try again with the bonding, is my advice!

Agree with all the advice you've been given & agree that neither look to be 8 weeks, or lops. They are likely to be of mixed breed. The white one appears to have almost giant ears!

I've not known any pet shop to guarantee sex. Even we don't, but we always advise going to a vets to confirm the sex as many will do that FOC with a nurse.

Wishing good luck.

Thanks again, I've passed on everyone's advice, she really appreciates it and she's going to ring the vet's tomorrow to arrange an appt.

xx

The spotted one does appear to have a younger look in the face, and I agree that with those large ears, could be a large breed rabbit or mix of one. Whether or not that will be a large breed lop or not, time will tell. But if it is a large breed/mix, at that size it is possible it could be around 8 weeks old or maybe slightly older.

The little agouti doesn't appear to be 8 weeks, but does look like it could be around 12-16 weeks old. And I agree with the others that it appears to have nethie characteristics by the body size, and shape of the head and ears.

I can't say for sure as it is hard to tell just from those two pictures, but I think it is very possible they are young rabbits, under 4 months old with the spotted one possibly being the younger of the two. Just a guess though. I could be completely off.

No lop ears there ;)...and they look young...but not 8 wks young....soooo sweet tho...beautiful furbabies ♡

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

I'd say both are adults, 6 months at least and neither are Lops. I suspect one is a Buck (the Broken Harlequin).................

Thanks ....is the humping/fur pulling/spraying normal for young bunnies? I though that started as they got a bit older....then again - how old is a bunny when they reach adolescence?? Xx

I'd say both are adults, 6 months at least and neither are Lops. I suspect one is a Buck (the Broken Harlequin).................

Think our posts crossed .... she has separated them for the time being .....but i fear the damage may have already been done ...siiigh x

The Netherland looks like a female to me, not too young. The other one is quite young but old enough to mate with the other and it looks like some sort of cross breed. Let's hope she isn't pregnant as Dad is much bigger!

Rubbish info, once again, being given by a well-known pet shop.:roll:
Hope all the advice you've been given here will be useful and that all will end well!

Thanks everyone ..... I soo wish she'd spoken to me before deciding to just go and buy them!

She's really worried about them and is desperate to do the right thing ... I've told her about the nuggets and suggested she scatter feeds them ..... and ditches the sawdust.

She said she spoke to several different people at the shop and they all gave her conflicting advice! (sounds about right)

I'll let you know how she gets on.

xx

The little Nethie-looking one does look just like my late-of-old Nethie Charlie! I hope there's nothing unseen to be worried about!

Back