• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbits are idiots/U-D 24/02 one super-idiot!

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Sigh, I know rabbits aren't necessarily the smartest creatures on the planet, but my two can be distinctly below-average for their species...

Lopsy, well, we knew he wasn't the smartest even before Aboleth arrived, but crikey... Failing to follow her for food, falling off things, going up when he's not sure he can come down (like a cat), blundering into hands, sitting on brambles, staying in one of the three areas when we're CLEARLY feeding in a different one... Oh, and stretching up beyond his reach and falling over, sitting on precarious edges, getting soaked through in the rain... And he sits and has 'pensive' moments, like a cow chewing the cud, only it's just his guts doing the work (though sometimes his mouth moves!): he ignores pretty much everything and sits like that for up to half an hour. Weirdo.

Well, now it's rubbing off on Aboleth: when we feed them treats like pear, Lopsy runs off with whatever he's got and Aboleth, whether she's got something or not, now follows him at breakneck speed. She used to wait and get fed whatever she was due, and she seems to have forgotten that (or, indeed, forgotten she's had anything at all) and charges after him. She also eats stuff over ledges, drops it and doesn't retrieve it (unlike Lopsy). I fed them a crunchie each yesterday because they'd done such a good job on the lawn, and Aboleth got hers first, maybe inhaled it and then charged after Lopsy when he ran off with his. He shot into the playhouse, then back out again with it still in his mouth. She stopped to look at me with the 'well, I lost mine, can I have another?!' look but I ain't that soft so she ran off after Lopsy who'd had a few seconds in the hutch to make enough of a start on his that she couldn't steal it. Incidentally I didn't find it later so I'm assuming she inhaled it!

It's quite frustrating, especially when Aboleth chases Lopsy, the poor little dufus. But it is also entertaining to see what daft antics they'll get up to next :love:

And they have no problems with fireworks: there was a big Chinese New Year celebration nearby with big banging fireworks, Aboleth was sat on the windowsill cleaning herself and looking up when a particularly loud one went off, before cleaning again. Obviously they feel safe!

In short, I don't think mine are smart enough to be naughty! :lol:

Last edited:
Sigh, I know rabbits aren't necessarily the smartest creatures on the planet, but my two can be distinctly below-average for their species...

Lopsy, well, we knew he wasn't the smartest even before Aboleth arrived, but crikey... Failing to follow her for food, falling off things, going up when he's not sure he can come down (like a cat), blundering into hands, sitting on brambles, staying in one of the three areas when we're CLEARLY feeding in a different one... Oh, and stretching up beyond his reach and falling over, sitting on precarious edges, getting soaked through in the rain... And he sits and has 'pensive' moments, like a cow chewing the cud, only it's just his guts doing the work (though sometimes his mouth moves!): he ignores pretty much everything and sits like that for up to half an hour. Weirdo.

Well, now it's rubbing off on Aboleth: when we feed them treats like pear, Lopsy runs off with whatever he's got and Aboleth, whether she's got something or not, now follows him at breakneck speed. She used to wait and get fed whatever she was due, and she seems to have forgotten that (or, indeed, forgotten she's had anything at all) and charges after him. She also eats stuff over ledges, drops it and doesn't retrieve it (unlike Lopsy). I fed them a crunchie each yesterday because they'd done such a good job on the lawn, and Aboleth got hers first, maybe inhaled it and then charged after Lopsy when he ran off with his. He shot into the playhouse, then back out again with it still in his mouth. She stopped to look at me with the 'well, I lost mine, can I have another?!' look but I ain't that soft so she ran off after Lopsy who'd had a few seconds in the hutch to make enough of a start on his that she couldn't steal it. Incidentally I didn't find it later so I'm assuming she inhaled it!

It's quite frustrating, especially when Aboleth chases Lopsy, the poor little dufus. But it is also entertaining to see what daft antics they'll get up to next :love:

And they have no problems with fireworks: there was a big Chinese New Year celebration nearby with big banging fireworks, Aboleth was sat on the windowsill cleaning herself and looking up when a particularly loud one went off, before cleaning again. Obviously they feel safe!

In short, I don't think mine are smart enough to be naughty! :lol:

How very dare you :lol::lol:

Food chase games are fun :) my rabbits are exactly the same, i.e. extremely bright:lol:

How very dare you :lol::lol:

Food chase games are fun :) my rabbits are exactly the same, i.e. extremely bright:lol:
Dear Lord, it's like they're starving or something! Heaven forbid I actually feed them both exactly the same stuff... Not to say after they've eaten their weight in hay each day!

Although they're nice and quiet with a FibaFirst stick each, until ones finishes...! :lol: :roll:

Today: I went outside to see to them, through the noisy squeaky back door as usual, and as I passed the hutch Lopsy was surprised :roll: I put the jug of water down and came back to make sure he was OK and he came to the mesh for food, putting his front foot in the water bowl...

"Why is my foot wet? What's it doing there? Is it wet in there? Maybe I should... Ooh, have you got food?!"

No, I hadn't any food. He pulled it up onto the side of the bowl after a bit :roll: I just laughed so much at the way he was looking at his own wet foot in the water :lol:

This morning, I hung the hayrack back up in Area 3 (the little hutch). Matt went out 20mins later to give them some rose and Aboleth was in Area 2 (run) and Lopsy in 3. Lopsy didn't seem to want to come over for rose, so Matt just left him to it while feeding Aboleth (he hand-feeds them rose, it's very sweet). Lopsy moved a few times so Matt kept looking over and eventually realised Lopsy had moved the hayrack in front of the doorway. So Lopsy couldn't get back out because he couldn't work out how to move the hayrack (it's a half-sphere one). Matt had to go and open the hutch door and, because he's tall, has to open it wide to get his arms in. So Lopsy went for it and tried to climb over Matt. Matt's explanation was hilarious this morning, lots of actions. Lopsy was even all the way out of the hutch in Matt's arms at one point. Needless to say, Matt managed to rehang the hayrack without Lopsy properly escaping.

Then Lopsy put his feet in the waterbowl again.

#storyofmylife....

Dear Lord, it's like they're starving or something! Heaven forbid I actually feed them both exactly the same stuff... Not to say after they've eaten their weight in hay each day!

Although they're nice and quiet with a FibaFirst stick each, until ones finishes...! :lol: :roll:

I don't dare give fibafirst sticks whole to the quad anymore! I always make sure I break them into little bits. Chaos ensues, but less so than trying to give them whole ones each.

Yesterday, Apollo started climbing the wire mesh so that he could be taller than Athena for breakfast. As I scatter feed (but sometimes handfeed those 2 the first bits each), I'm not sure if that's daft or enterprising.

Bet you wouldn't change Lopsy's idiosyncratic behaviour for the world.

:DAww but lopsy is all the better for his "duffus" ways,it's his character!
He's the life and soul of the hilarity XD Although he technically made me late for work as Matt had the regale me with the story of why he'd just spent 15mins with the bunnies! I'll let him off ;P

Yesterday, Apollo started climbing the wire mesh so that he could be taller than Athena for breakfast. As I scatter feed (but sometimes handfeed those 2 the first bits each), I'm not sure if that's daft or enterprising.

Bet you wouldn't change Lopsy's idiosyncratic behaviour for the world.
Maybe Apollo's a bit of both :) Lopsy can certainly seem enterprising :lol:

And I'm not sure about 'idiosyncratic', maybe just the first three syllables :lol:

No trappings this morning, he was just slow!

Back