• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Set up & care for a poorly bun

carysannie29

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I found one of my rescue buns stuck in the tunnel between the shed and run - long story short, it seems she has a middle ear infection. She's got a very pronounced head tilt and has real trouble moving around. It's so horrible to watch! We've got antibiotics today and have ordered some Panacur which I'll be collecting tomorrow.

I really just wanted to ask about other aspects of her care. I've set up a dog crate in the conservatory which is a cool room. Newspaper on the bottom with a towel/vet bed on top. Lots of hay in one corner, a bowl and a bottle of water. She has been eating hay and veggies and I've seen her drink some water from the bowl. I really just want to know if this is the best set up and if there's anything else I can do? I've brought my other bun inside as they're so bonded I can't leave them apart.

I really hope the meds start working soon - she's normally so active and full of life it's hard to see her struggling so much :(

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I found one of my rescue buns stuck in the tunnel between the shed and run - long story short, it seems she has a middle ear infection. She's got a very pronounced head tilt and has real trouble moving around. It's so horrible to watch! We've got antibiotics today and have ordered some Panacur which I'll be collecting tomorrow.

I really just wanted to ask about other aspects of her care. I've set up a dog crate in the conservatory which is a cool room. Newspaper on the bottom with a towel/vet bed on top. Lots of hay in one corner, a bowl and a bottle of water. She has been eating hay and veggies and I've seen her drink some water from the bowl. I really just want to know if this is the best set up and if there's anything else I can do? I've brought my other bun inside as they're so bonded I can't leave them apart.

I really hope the meds start working soon - she's normally so active and full of life it's hard to see her struggling so much :(

Thanks!

Poor Bunster :cry:

With regards to the crate, I'd pad the sides of it out with something like rolled up towels. Then if she falls over/starts rolling due to her loss of balance she wont get a leg stuck between the cage bars. Also, I'd put the hay in a cardboard tube or something. Sometimes Rabbits with poor balance can get hay tangled up around their hind legs.

Did the Vet also prescribe a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam ? It is inflammation within the CNS that causes clinical symptoms -ie head tilt/loss of balance. So it is important to try to reduce the amount of inflammation. If Metacam was not prescibe maybe the Vet administered a corticosteroid injection instead ?

She may need help keeping herself clean, sometimes litter tray habits can be lost and/or the Rabbit may not be able to eat their cecotrophs when they have any sort of vestibular problems.

These links may be useful to take a look at :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/head-tilt.html

I hope that your Rabbit will make a good recovery xx

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Oh your poor little one, and what a shock for you!

I think you've done absolutely the right thing. If the vet has diagnosed a middle ear infection, I'm guessing that the Panacur is just as a 'preventative' to cover all bases?

Has your little one been prescribed Metacam? Not only is it a very good painkller, but it's like Ibuprofen for rabbits and takes away inflammation - really essential in cases of head tilt, whether diagnosed as ear infection or due to E.C.

What I have done when I have little ones with head tilt, and if they are rolling significantly, is to put 'cot bumpers' around the side of a cage. This can be anything from towels to quilted covers - the cot bumpers are useful in that they actually tie onto the cage sides.

Good luck xx

Back