• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear Irritation

rowan.godfrey

Alpha Buck
Hi all,

I noticed my girl has a small irritated patch inside her ear, photo attached. Does this look like ear mites? If so, I haven't had to treat for this before, what is the course of action? Thanks!

ac7ea1f06e3b7b2bafe509beaa1bd048.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I noticed my girl has a small irritated patch inside her ear, photo attached. Does this look like ear mites? If so, I haven't had to treat for this before, what is the course of action? Thanks!

It looks as though your Rabbit has been scratching her ear a lot and the 'nicks' in the skin were caused by a toenail. I cant tell you if she does or does not have ear mites, it is necessary for the ear canals to be examined using an otoscope to ascertain why she appears to be scratching them a lot. So I'd get your Vet to take a look in her ears. Also, she may need her toenails cut. If the one's on her back feet toes are very long/sharp she is far more likely to tear the skin in her ears as she scratches.

If it is ear mites they are easily treated

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Psoroptes_Inf.htm

Hi all,

This looks to me like your bunny has been scratching at her ears with her toenails, and pierced the skin inside the ear. It may be accidental, or it may be due to some irriitation like ear mites.

If you notice her scratching more than usual, or any crusty deposits inside the ear, it's likely to be mites. This is easily treated with inections of Ivermectin, three doses two weeks apart. Your vet will be able to diagnose and treat :thumb:

Thanks both, she is at the vets Wednesday anyway to be spayed so I will get it checked out then!

I would ask your Vet if they are happy to go ahead with a spay IF your rabbit has ear mites. If she has then it might be sensible to get her over this first as I would imagine ear mites are quite stressful for a rabbit.

Certainly will do Tonibun. I have been at home all of today, she doesn't seem to be scratching excessively and I can't obviously see any deposits in her ears so I'm hopeful she just needs her nails trimmed!

Certainly will do Tonibun. I have been at home all of today, she doesn't seem to be scratching excessively and I can't obviously see any deposits in her ears so I'm hopeful she just needs her nails trimmed!

Yeah, hope so too :thumb: Good luck with the vet visit!

Back