• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I need to cut Nellies nails?

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
If so how? :lol: she is far to tiny and quick, but they look long to me but I am not sure?

0a14025fb7197fc906188699331ef71e.md.jpg

Last edited:
A nail file could be the easier option, not sure if they need cutting though - I've only ever had Syrians and I've only ever had to file down one of mines nails because she was immobile for a while

I must add though she is such a gorgeous hamster! :love:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A nail file could be the easier option, not sure if they need cutting though - I've only ever had Syrians and I've only ever had to file down one of mines nails because she was immobile for a while

I must add though she is such a gorgeous hamster! :love:

Aww thank you. I have never cut a hamsters nails before but they look long in the picture. It will be a nightmare to do if they do need trimming as she is so blimmin quick :lol:

Aww thank you. I have never cut a hamsters nails before but they look long in the picture. It will be a nightmare to do if they do need trimming as she is so blimmin quick :lol:

Also - would it be possible to put a smooth stone in her cage?
I had a friend who put a stone in their dwarfs cage as a step up to the water bottle and it kept the nails short because she was using it everyday
A not to small not to big stone that is lol, and cleaned - I'll try and find an example xx

Also - would it be possible to put a smooth stone in her cage?
I had a friend who put a stone in their dwarfs cage as a step up to the water bottle and it kept the nails short because she was using it everyday
A not to small not to big stone that is lol, and cleaned - I'll try and find an example xx

That's a great idea thanks :D

She's so cute :love:

My hybrid dwarf used to always have long nails, he had a rock which did help but to me they always looked long but they never bothered him or began to curl round so I didn't attempt to trim them. :)

She's so cute :love:

My hybrid dwarf used to always have long nails, he had a rock which did help but to me they always looked long but they never bothered him or began to curl round so I didn't attempt to trim them. :)

Thank you, I will get a rock to see if that helps :D

If they're not curling or affecting mobility then just the stone should be enough.

I have to cut Dudes nails (Syrian) and I just bribe him with peanut butter & use nail clippers. (Human, babies ones are normally good)
For dwarf hammies they get a small grape and as they hold onto that to eat it I clip them using the nail clippers too.

I've had hamsters for over twenty years.I've never had to cut their claws.They need their nails to climb etc. Why do humans feel the need to "tidy" etc.

Back