• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hiro unwell again :(

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
I'm devastated.
Hiro seemed a little off his food again last night but he was eating a bit of hay and dandelion so decided to keep a close eye on him.

I woke up this morning and found him underneath my chest of drawers lying down. I offered him some food but he wouldn't take it. I then noticed that he looked a bit weird and that his head seemed to be moving from side to side. I woke up my partner and he said that I was overreacting but half an hour later it was pretty clear that I really wasn't. His head was rapidly moving from side to side and so were his eyes. He went to stand up and he fell over :(

We rushed him straight to the vets and he was still moving his head around so she got a good look at what was going on. She pressed on his face a bit, checked his eyes and his belly, weighed him and then gave him a cocktail of drugs. I was crying so much at this point that I can't really remember what was given but I think it was a antibiotic, a steroid, a gut stimulant, a painkiller and a worming course (but I could be wrong). We were told to take him back tomorrow to repeat the treatment and for another checkover.

Once we were back in the car it stopped. He started grooming himself. When we got home we set him up a smaller living area (vets advice) which just has a hide and a litter tray with plenty of food in it. He seems a lot better in himself, he is drinking and he's eating a little bit. He doesn't seem to be pooping much though. We let him out of the crate and he's been playing with his brother. If I didn't know what happened earlier I probably wouldn't know that he was poorly.

I'm terrified that I'll wake up and find him like that again tomorrow. I found it traumatic and I've been a bit of a wreck all day. I can't understand how he was perfectly fine yesterday and was like that this morning :(

I'm no rabbit expert so any opinions on what's going on here and what to expect would be appreciated. Is there anything that the vet might have missed that I can ask for? Blood tests? Scans?

Sorry for the long post :(
Xxx

I'm devastated.
Hiro seemed a little off his food again last night but he was eating a bit of hay and dandelion so decided to keep a close eye on him.

I woke up this morning and found him underneath my chest of drawers lying down. I offered him some food but he wouldn't take it. I then noticed that he looked a bit weird and that his head seemed to be moving from side to side. I woke up my partner and he said that I was overreacting but half an hour later it was pretty clear that I really wasn't. His head was rapidly moving from side to side and so were his eyes. He went to stand up and he fell over :(

We rushed him straight to the vets and he was still moving his head around so she got a good look at what was going on. She pressed on his face a bit, checked his eyes and his belly, weighed him and then gave him a cocktail of drugs. I was crying so much at this point that I can't really remember what was given but I think it was a antibiotic, a steroid, a gut stimulant, a painkiller and a worming course (but I could be wrong). We were told to take him back tomorrow to repeat the treatment and for another checkover.

Once we were back in the car it stopped. He started grooming himself. When we got home we set him up a smaller living area (vets advice) which just has a hide and a litter tray with plenty of food in it. He seems a lot better in himself, he is drinking and he's eating a little bit. He doesn't seem to be pooping much though. We let him out of the crate and he's been playing with his brother. If I didn't know what happened earlier I probably wouldn't know that he was poorly.

I'm terrified that I'll wake up and find him like that again tomorrow. I found it traumatic and I've been a bit of a wreck all day. I can't understand how he was perfectly fine yesterday and was like that this morning :(

I'm no rabbit expert so any opinions on what's going on here and what to expect would be appreciated. Is there anything that the vet might have missed that I can ask for? Blood tests? Scans?

Sorry for the long post :(
Xxx

I am sorry that Hiro is unwell

From the what you have described it sounds as though he was displaying neurological symptoms. This can sometimes be attributed to infection with a protozoal parasite called Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC). EC can effect the brain and central nervous system as well as the kidneys and other organs. This link provides information about EC:

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

There are other possible causes of neurological symptoms, including bacterial infection.
From what you have posted it sounds as though the Vet has covered all bases and has given treatment for both EC (the 'wormer' Panacur/Lapizole), an antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory (the steroid).
Some Vets prescribe a non steroidal anti-inflammatory instead of a corticosteroid as the use of corticosteroids in Rabbits should only be done after very careful consideration re risks V benefits. There are certainly circumstances where their use is appropriate though, acute onset neurological symptoms often being one of them.

It may be necessary for the Vet to prescribe additional medication to help keep Hiro's GI tract ticking over. Sometimes the symptoms can recur and in the early stages of the illness they can get worse before they get better. Symptoms may get worse once the anti-inflammatory effect of the steroid wears off. It is inflammation that causes clinical symptoms. So try not to panic if this does happen, it may not even do so but at least if you are forewarned of the possibility it might not be quite so scary for you if it does.

As EC is spread via spores excreted in the urine it is important to minimise the risk of the Rabbit ingesting urine contaminated bedding/food and thus re-infecting themselves. So A* hygiene is essential. The 'wormer' treatment should be given daily for at least 28 days and the Rabbit's environment should be bleach cleaned (using a 10% bleach solution) on days 21 and 28 of treatment. Any areas that cannot be bleach cleaned can be steam cleaned. Steam will kill off EC spores.

All in contact Rabbits also need to be treated with Panacur/Lapizole (the 'wormer')

As I have mentioned, EC is not the only possible cause of sudden onset neurological symptoms. But in the absence of a definitive diagnosis it is usually best to treat for EC as well as any other condition the Vet may feel could be involved.

I hope that Hiro's check up at the Vet's goes well today and that he will make a good recovery xx

Sending loads of vibes for Hiro and hugs for you. I hope he gets on OK at the vets today.

Thank you everyone.
The vet seemed pretty happy with his treatment so far. His head and eyes seem normal and he is less wobbly on his feet today. He is also eating much better.
The vet gave him a repeat dose of all the drugs except for the steroid because it lasts 48 hours.
Thank you for the warning Jane, I'll try not to panic if that does happen but I'm going to keep everything crossed that it doesn't!
He seems so 'normal' right now that yesterday almost feels like a bad dream.

Thank you everyone.
The vet seemed pretty happy with his treatment so far. His head and eyes seem normal and he is less wobbly on his feet today. He is also eating much better.
The vet gave him a repeat dose of all the drugs except for the steroid because it lasts 48 hours.
Thank you for the warning Jane, I'll try not to panic if that does happen but I'm going to keep everything crossed that it doesn't!
He seems so 'normal' right now that yesterday almost feels like a bad dream.

Sending lots of vibes for Hiro xx

Thank you.
If it does get worse before it gets better then what will happen? Will he need another dose of the steroid? X

Thank you :) he is currently munching away on some hay and causing mischief with his brother. I'm finding the whole thing very surreal at the moment to be honest. Looking at him now it's hard to believe that something is wrong but I think that I've prepared myself for if the symptoms come back again.

Back