• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do YOU bond?

MB1201

Young Bun
Hi everyone, I don't think I've posted on here since I got my rabbits in August so I assume nobody remembers me haha.

I did have what we thought was a male and female mini lop, benji and Eleanor - we found out that 'Eleanor' was actually a boy so he's been going by the temporary name of 'Eleanor the man' until we find something that suits 🙄😂

Benji has been neutered and 'Eleanor' is soon - but the problem is that they are both male, not related either as far as we know- what is the best way to introduce them and how do you bond your rabbits? I've seen so many methods from 10-15 minute sessions daily and gradually increasing time in a nuetral area to taking them in the car together - what's the best way of doing things? Obviously we would want to do it gradually.. any ideas from your experiences? Thanks

Because I work full time and don't have the benefit of being at home all day, every day, I usually take a week off work and do a 'forced' bonding. Once I start bonding, I don't separate the bunnies again as I feel lots of short introductions simply prolong the agony.

I also start in a very small space - not much bigger than a travelling crate. I increase space literally inches at a time over the space of several days and nights (I sleep next to them for at least the first 4 or 5 nights). I only interfere if there is too much chasing, which usually leads to nipping and then fighting. If the chasing
and mounting etc is tolerated by the submissive bunny, I let it continue as it's all part of the process.

Once they either ignore each other or lay next to each other with no aggro, Inincrease their space by a few inches all round. If this increase leads to chasing again, we go back to a smaller space. I continue like this, slowly, slowly increasing the space, until the bunnies are happy in a large enclosure and can be left unattended without trying to kill each other!

I leave them in the bonding area for at least a week before thinking about moving them back to their permanent accommodation, which can result in a step backwards in the bonding process as they try to take ownership of the new territory.

My last bond only took about 3 days, one previous bond took 3 months (that was interesting dealing with it when I work full time!!!) However, I'd say it averages around a week.

My top tip would be to increase space VERY slowly. If you give too much space too soon, it can result in fighting over territory. If in doubt, go slower!

Mixed approach

Hi I have only bonded once. In retrospect it was probably an easy bond but it didn't seem like it at the time. Bunnies - spayed female and a neutered male (2 months post op).

I started out with a 1.6x 1.8m puppy pen- from a previous attempt a month earlier I knew there would be chasing so needed enough space for me (with water spray) and enough escape space for the chased bunny. Over the first weekend I held three bonding sessions of increasing duration with each stopped out of concern for the stress level of the chased bunny. Positives - chased bunny less stressed at start, chaser less aggressive at start, no outright fights after session 1, increased non contact time. Negative - same repeating pattern : bunny 1 approaches, bunny 2 runs and stamps, bunny 1 chases and hair pulls.

After taking advice from this forum I decided to persevere and try again the following weekend. This time I reduced the space. After 2hr the chased bunny gave up running and the chaser started grooming him. What I thought was aggression from her may simply have been frustration because he kept running from her. That was the turning point and on the Monday I moved them to their new quarters starting them in a small area and increasing space over the next few days until they had the run of the whole pen. They continue to be very happily bonded.

At no time was humping employed by either of them, nor since.

Things I learned from the experience were 1) a flexible puppy pen set up was invaluable - size could be changed and I could set up in bedroom to police them overnight 2) as much as I thought I knew the bunnies it turned out way better than I expected ( I was concerned she might dominate to the point of bullying and he'd allowed himself to be bullied in a previous life) 3) how vital support networks like rabbits United forum are ... I was concerned I was stressing the bunnies with no hope of success but advice given here gave me the confidence to persevere 4) it was worth every minute of stress ( theirs and mine!) to see them lying happily together.

I expect every bonding experience will be different and the experts will be able to help more. Good luck :)

Back