• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen genitalia and more

quiren

New Kit
Hello, everyone!

Three weeks ago, my rabbit gave birth to four lovely bunnies, and aparently she takes care of them pretty well. but during this period, there were some problems. It seems that one of the bunnies had some poop stuck in its anus which prevented it from pooping and peeing. When I realized this I cleaned it very carefully. The problem is that because of the effort the bunny made to pee and poop, its anus and genitals ended up being swollen. I took the bunny to the vet and he gave me a cream which I had to put in the area every now and then. The cream reduced the swelling a little, but the anus and the genitals are not the size they're suppose to be. Two weeks have passed and it's the same size as before. My question is if there's going to be any problem for him in the future because of this, and if it's possible that it feels some kind of pain or something like that?

My other question is related to the first one. The three brothers of this bunny are growing up really fast, while he's not (they double him in size). What's more, his brothers have really soft fur, while he hasn't. Is it possible that he's not being fed properly because of its problem? Is it normal that a bunny is growing up at a different rate than its brothers? Should I do something like made its mother feed him twice a day? Or is everything going to be fine just the way things are happening?

Thank you very much for your attention!

Hello, everyone!

Three weeks ago, my rabbit gave birth to four lovely bunnies, and aparently she takes care of them pretty well. but during this period, there were some problems. It seems that one of the bunnies had some poop stuck in its anus which prevented it from pooping and peeing. When I realized this I cleaned it very carefully. The problem is that because of the effort the bunny made to pee and poop, its anus and genitals ended up being swollen. I took the bunny to the vet and he gave me a cream which I had to put in the area every now and then. The cream reduced the swelling a little, but the anus and the genitals are not the size they're suppose to be. Two weeks have passed and it's the same size as before. My question is if there's going to be any problem for him in the future because of this, and if it's possible that it feels some kind of pain or something like that?

My other question is related to the first one. The three brothers of this bunny are growing up really fast, while he's not (they double him in size). What's more, his brothers have really soft fur, while he hasn't. Is it possible that he's not being fed properly because of its problem? Is it normal that a bunny is growing up at a different rate than its brothers? Should I do something like made its mother feed him twice a day? Or is everything going to be fine just the way things are happening?

Thank you very much for your attention!

It sounds as though the Kit is the runt of the litter. Failure to thrive can be due to a myriad of possible causes, not only not feeding well. It sounds as though the Kit has a rectal prolapse.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/d...s_of_the_rectum_and_anus/rectal_prolapse.html

I would strongly advise you to take the Kit back to the Vet straight away. As things sound from your description on here the Kit is unlikely to survive without prompt Veterinary intervention again.

Back