• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nebuliser help

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Hello all!
Not been on here in a long while had so much going on but please may I ask for some help?

Alice had pneumonia a few months ago and she is still struggling with congestion.
Vets have tried various medication but nothing seems to cure her squeaky breathing, she is absolutely fine in herself, happier than ever so I want to keep trying.
I've researched a bit online and have seen some say that a bunny nebuliser has helped.
Can anyone advise what it is and where I can get one from?

Hello all!
Not been on here in a long while had so much going on but please may I ask for some help?

Alice had pneumonia a few months ago and she is still struggling with congestion.
Vets have tried various medication but nothing seems to cure her squeaky breathing, she is absolutely fine in herself, happier than ever so I want to keep trying.
I've researched a bit online and have seen some say that a bunny nebuliser has helped.
Can anyone advise what it is and where I can get one from?

I bought a nebuliser from my local pharmacy. They ordered it in for me, and it's a basic Omron. It's for humans, but you can make a small chamber for a rabbit with a box, or else hold it near their face if that's too distressing.

Did the vet give her Bislvon to dissolve the mucous in her nasal passages?

Thank you both, I have found one on eBay I am going to buy :)

There is no way I will be able to hold it near her face she is very grumpy! How do I make a chamber? And how long and how often do I do it for?

I had to make a nebulising chamber for my Wally as the mask would have been too stressful for him and stress would trigger massive mouth breathing episodes.

I used a carrier, made it comfy inside with soft fleece, it became his little den so he was happy to sit in there and be nebulised. I put cling film over the wire door at the front. The nebuliser was on the outside of the carrier and the 'spout' went through a little hole I made in the cling film. We did wally with F10 in saline (if you use F10 you have to be careful not to breathe it in yourself as I understand it can be harmful to humans). We did Wally for 5 minute sessions, 3 or 4 times a day initially. He always breathed easier after being nebulised.

matt's 'chamber' was a clear 80ltr storage box from wilkos with a hole cut in it. i have the same nebuliser as jane, the evergreen omron c28. it made the world of difference for matt. he would have meds nebulised aswell, mixed in with the saline which seemed to work alot better for him. bisc would just/still has just saline. the saline our vet recommends for respiratory type issues is the hypertonic saline 7.2% one :)

bisc used to join matt in the 'chamber' when needed, however he now just has it steamed onto his face when needed, and he usually settles down and goes to sleep whilst i do it :love:

matt used to absolutely love being nebulised aswell and would lick the steam off the sides of the box and sometimes he would sleep in there aswell. he knew how much it helped him and would be excited to go in :love: his usual time was 20mins twice a day, but upto 30mins when he had a worse flare up. he hated it the first couple of times understandably so from experience i'd say let her investigate the box first and then build up the time :wave:

matt's 'chamber' was a clear 80ltr storage box from wilkos with a hole cut in it. i have the same nebuliser as jane, the evergreen omron c28. it made the world of difference for matt. he would have meds nebulised aswell, mixed in with the saline which seemed to work alot better for him. bisc would just/still has just saline. the saline our vet recommends for respiratory type issues is the hypertonic saline 7.2% one :)

bisc used to join matt in the 'chamber' when needed, however he now just has it steamed onto his face when needed, and he usually settles down and goes to sleep whilst i do it :love:

matt used to absolutely love being nebulised aswell and would lick the steam off the sides of the box and sometimes he would sleep in there aswell. he knew how much it helped him and would be excited to go in :love: his usual time was 20mins twice a day, but upto 30mins when he had a worse flare up. he hated it the first couple of times understandably so from experience i'd say let her investigate the box first and then build up the time :wave:

Yes I made a chamber similar to this one for my nebuliser.

I wouldn't use F10 to nebulise with, but saline is extremely good and useful.

As is Bisolvon, alongside it, if your vet will prescribe :thumb:

Yes I made a chamber similar to this one for my nebuliser.

I wouldn't use F10 to nebulise with, but saline is extremely good and useful.

As is Bisolvon, alongside it, if your vet will prescribe :thumb:

yes, matt didn't do well with f10. he reacted badly when using it and it seemed to almost make the inside of his nose 'red raw' - i can't think how else to describe it but the vet thinks it perhaps irritated the lining of his nose further rather than help. :wave:

yes, matt didn't do well with f10. he reacted badly when using it and it seemed to almost make the inside of his nose 'red raw' - i can't think how else to describe it but the vet thinks it perhaps irritated the lining of his nose further rather than help. :wave:

I've heard quite a few reports of F10 doing this exact same thing to rabbits in nebulisers, having it sprayed on to prevent flystrike etc etc. Basically causing a chemical burn.

I have read all the safety data sheets and it should be perfectly safe to use, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

Back