• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does this look old or fresh

C1A1RE

Warren Scout
Hi all I'm after opinions. Below are some photos of some timothy hay, does it look like old or fresh hay to you. Will explain why in a bit.

be9f74aa649e2a399d23149205a3ff5d.jpg

648049c755b620de57b23c67dfe87e45.jpg

fa95c0c1ac47986a207fb4584a8e186d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Looks OK to me, but tbh I wouldn't notice the difference unless one of my animals turned their nose up at it...

It looks very dry to me. Mine was always greener. Is it very dry and brittle or crumblely to the touch? Do your rabbuts like it?

the browner it is I would say the older it Is, as long as it doesn't smell mouldy or odd in any other way, I know they say nice new hay smell or none at all is best

Thank you all.
We normally purchase our timothy hay from Timothyhay.co.uk but as it's still the 2013 hay we tried to find somewhere that was selling it fresher so I looked on Amazon and found someone, I emailed them and the guy said it was June 2015 hay. We paid £15 for 3kg, normally we get the 10kg bag for £22 from timothy hay.co.uk.
Hi Jemjabella our mini lop came up to it and sniffed it and walked away from it but he's now eating it so hopefully he's ok with it.

Hi bunnytoes it feels dry and crumblely and looks lighter than the 2013 hay.

Hi mini lop 1 it's got a bit of a smell but not very strong at all.

It's hard to say but the fresher a hay is, the sweeter it smells. Colour isn't necessarily an indicator, although generally the greener it is, the fresher it is. I've just had 20kgs of the 2013 batch from timothyhay.co.uk, simply because they've run out of 2014 and are not yet advertising any 2015. It has no smell at all but the main thing is that it isn't dusty or mouldy AND the bunnies and piggies LOVE it!!

I've e-mailed Gavin at timothyhay twice to ask if they will have any 2015 hay soon, but don't get a response.

Hi Mackers this hay is dusty, when I was cleaning out our rabbit's cage and putting the new hay in I started to have a mad coughing fit, we normally try and get timothy hay which isn't dusty due to myself having mild asthma.
Going to go back to purchasing it from Timothyhay.co.uk

It's hard to say but the fresher a hay is, the sweeter it smells. Colour isn't necessarily an indicator, although generally the greener it is, the fresher it is. I've just had 20kgs of the 2013 batch from timothyhay.co.uk, simply because they've run out of 2014 and are not yet advertising any 2015. It has no smell at all but the main thing is that it isn't dusty or mouldy AND the bunnies and piggies LOVE it!!

I've e-mailed Gavin at timothyhay twice to ask if they will have any 2015 hay soon, but don't get a response.

I had a response from Gavin. The 2015 hay was very bad apparently, too bad to sell, so they are hoping for a better crop this year :( I'm gutted, it was Daisy's favourite hay :(

Hi everyone this is Gavin from Timothyhay.co.uk

I would just like to thank everyone for their support in buying my hay. As a lot of you know last years summer was extremely wet and not helpful at all for making great hay. So our 2015 batch did suffer a little.

The good news is the hay has improved over the last few months by losing moisture and becoming harder (good for teeth). It has always been free from dust and mould with nice long crunchy stalks and timothy seed heads. The only negative I have is it is slightly more brown on some of the leaves and there is also some small balls of clay from the field inside the hay which was picked up from the hay making process on the wet fields. The good news is it is harmless and easily picked out when found.

I plan to have the 2015 batch for sale in the next couple of days. I will post some pictures so you can see what it looks like.

Mackers I'm sorry I missed your emails did you message me through facebook or email.

Thanks again
Gavin

Hi everyone this is Gavin from Timothyhay.co.uk

I would just like to thank everyone for their support in buying my hay. As a lot of you know last years summer was extremely wet and not helpful at all for making great hay. So our 2015 batch did suffer a little.

The good news is the hay has improved over the last few months by losing moisture and becoming harder (good for teeth). It has always been free from dust and mould with nice long crunchy stalks and timothy seed heads. The only negative I have is it is slightly more brown on some of the leaves and there is also some small balls of clay from the field inside the hay which was picked up from the hay making process on the wet fields. The good news is it is harmless and easily picked out when found.

I plan to have the 2015 batch for sale in the next couple of days. I will post some pictures so you can see
what it looks like.

Mackers I'm sorry I missed your emails did you message me through facebook or email.

Thanks again
Gavin

Ooh, that's good to know - thanks Gavin! I get through your hay at a rate of knots and it's the ONLY hay I've ever bought that all my bunnies and piggies go mad for on every single batch. Big thumbs up. We don't care about bits of clay :).

I messaged via the 'contact me' facility on the timothyhay.co.uk website rather than facebook. Didn't realise you had a facebook page so will contact you on there in future :thumb:.

Thank you Gavin. We ordered the 2015 timothy hay yesterday morning and it's just turned up. Thank you for the speedy delivery.
Our little mini lop Gizmo is already in the bag enjoying it :)

fa5930f7ade1dabf6a38b79336bf79b8.jpg

cba2418e43660bd346b92ef8d3e60293.jpg

This is so good to know - I've been using INGs hay for a few months now but it's just not the same! The 2015 hay does look lovely - will be ordering some next week :thumb:

Hi Fellie this Timothy hay is brilliant, our Gizmo is loving it :)

08e918308b5378065331d15b7fca62f1.jpg

This is so good to know - I've been using INGs hay for a few months now but it's just not the same! The 2015 hay does look lovely - will be ordering some next week :thumb:
Ditto :( I've not ordered Ings this time as I seem to be throwing more away than they're eating. I will try them again in the summer months as it has always been great normally. To be honest I've forgot about the weather last year but it makes sense that the hay will be reflecting that.

Back