• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does ivermectin give added protection against biting insects?

jerseygirl

Warren Scout
A few years ago, I heard that ivermectin might help protect rabbits from biting insects that risk carrying myxi and rhdv. The person who said this was not the most reliable source of info! Has anyone heard of this? Is it a myth?

I'm assuming the ivermectin makes the blood less attractive to these insects?? Would it be same for topical selamectin, I wonder?

In Australia, we're seeing a rise in deaths due to RHDV2, even in vaccinated rabbits (vaccinated against rhdv1 as this only vacc we have here).
The vets here are recommending bi-annual shots against RHDV at the moment...
There is also going to be a release of the K5 virus from Asia. :(

So we're desperate to look for added measures to protect our pets. Mine own are indoors but plenty are not and cannot be.

A few years ago, I heard that ivermectin might help protect rabbits from biting insects that risk carrying myxi and rhdv. The person who said this was not the most reliable source of info! Has anyone heard of this? Is it a myth?

I'm assuming the ivermectin makes the blood less attractive to these insects?? Would it be same for topical selamectin, I wonder?

In Australia, we're seeing a rise in deaths due to RHDV2, even in vaccinated rabbits (vaccinated against rhdv1 as this only vacc we have here).

So we're desperate to look for added measures to protect our pets. Mine own are indoors but plenty are not and cannot be.

I dont think Ivermectin stops biting/bloodsucking insects from biting, but it kills them when they do bite and their reproductive cycle is broken. Ivermectin does not kill fleas though. Something like imidacloprid is needed to treat for fleas. In the UK imidacloprid is sold under the brand name 'Advantage'

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Bayer_plc/Advantage/-40834.html

I would also look at ways of discouraging the presence of biting/bloodsucking insects in the Rabbit's environment by using fly netting over accommodation, removing all standing water (which attracts mozzies) etc.

Citronella Oil may deter biting insects

Thanks Jane! I do have my doubts. If there was any merit to it, surely the vets would be suggesting it.

Most responsible owners do take measures to try physically protect them (netting etc), especially given the rabbits here can't be vaccinated against myxi. :(

Along with Jane's good advice, I would just add what you already mentioned, the selamectin. Either that or the Advantage would I think, provide some amount of preventative protection, though how much I don't know. I personally like the selamectin better as it covers mites as well as fleas, and advantage only provides cover for fleas. It's sold under the name Stronghold or Revolution, not sure which you have there.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Selamectin.htm

Thanks Jbun. : )
We have Revolution here. I much prefer it also. The selamectin is gentler on their system, I believe.

I personally would be averse to giving anything long term to a rabbit to prevent biting insects, however safe it's profile, but I realise this is a big issue for you.

the RWAF (sorry it's UK based) says the following, which you may already be totally aware of :)

Try to buy hay from farms free of myxomatosis
• Fit insect screens to outdoor hutches and runs
• Eliminate standing water from your garden (and preferably from any neighbouring gardens as well!) where mosquitoes could breed.
• Be especially careful if you have a dog or cat that hunts wild rabbits, as they could bring rabbit fleas home on their noses! It wouldn't hurt to treat them as a prophylactically anyway!
• Make sure that rabbits living outdoors cannot make contact with wild rabbits or hares.
• If your rabbit has any signs of Cheyletiella fur mites (e.g. “dandruff” on the back of the neck, take him to the vet for prompt treatment.

Back