• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

daily cisapride long term

I have used Cisapride but not on a daily basis. I think the longest I needed it for was a week.
0.3 ml 2 or 3 times a day.
I think its brilliant stuff.
Have you been advised to use it long term?

thank you.

yes, for bisc. a while back he had a short course of it (0.3ml twice a day) and it really suited him and made a big difference so the vet said he could be on it daily but for us to try and find the lowest daily dose after initially changing him to 0.3ml once per day.

anyway, he was doing well on that dose, but recently had a 'flare-up' and we were told he could have it twice again, and then reduce the night time dose gradually. last night was his first night completely off it again and he had a horrible caecotroph this morning. just the one but in a big 'ball'

so obviously he needs more than the 0.3ml once each day but i realised i don't even know if this is considered a low dose or not and wondered what others had.

for a long time bisc would have short courses of metaclopramide because he has always had a dodgy digestion but it used to be more gassy/gassy bloat ish. now it's more a bit gassy, distended tummy and excess caecotrophs so the vet thinks cisapride is better suited to bisc's issues now.

thanks everyone :wave:

Hi

Cisapride and metaclop work on differnt parts of the gut so it may be that Cisapride is more effective on him.

I know with one of mine Cisapride works brilliantly when he is unwell however Metaclop doesnt work at all.
Good luck

Hi

Cisapride and metaclop work on differnt parts of the gut so it may be that Cisapride is more effective on him.

I know with one of mine Cisapride works brilliantly when he is unwell however Metaclop doesnt work at all.
Good luck

ah that makes sense then. i agree that cisapride is brilliant stuff and seems to make such a difference with bisc. even with the lump of caecotroph today, he's actually still bright and has just been doing binkies actually. so i don't think we're too far off with his ideal dose. :)

Hi

Good luck

ah that makes sense then. i agree that cisapride is brilliant stuff and seems to make such a difference with bisc. even with the lump of caecotroph today, he's actually still bright and has just been doing binkies actually. so i don't think we're too far off with his ideal dose. :)

Back