• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wet roof in welfare hutch - condensation or leak?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hello,

Looking for some advice please!
I bought a hutch from the welfare hutch company this summer and I'm really pleased with it, but it now has a very wet roof on the inside.

I made shutters for the upstairs but left the downstairs just mesh for ventilation. Upstairs, two and a bit doors are covered, with about a quarter of a door just mesh.

How can I work out if I have a leak (there's nothing obvious) or a condensation problem? I can't tell as it just won't stop raining! I don't want to leave the shutters off in this wind, but they might actually be the problem.

Any tips/ideas?

Thanks!

Post a picture if you can but it could be those shutters as the bottom may not let any or not much airflow up to the second floor.

Thanks, these pics were from the first time, it dried out and then was stormy again so I had to put the shutters back on

6329564bb01898b77edde2b8bb786e96.jpg
a41a5aabf3ce744e4128c7c20bd15985.jpg
158e719fe0fc0dcff82828b4ecf008b4.jpg

That looks like water ingress from the roof to be honest. If it was condensation it would be all over the roof, but that looks like it is soaking in from the edges...

That's a bit disappointing if it is. I have some more felt, maybe another layer with some overhang at the back?

I'll have to wait for my husband to help me move it, the back of the hutch is just a few inches from the shed [emoji4]

Could it be resting against the shed and the water can't fall off the back properly and is running back under the lip. It might be easier to tell once you can take a look at the back.

I'll have to wait for my husband to help me move it, the back of the hutch is just a few inches from the shed [emoji4]

Without seeing a roof picture, maybe its because you've not left enough room between the hutch and shed?
Ideally it needs 10cm each side to allow air to past freely.

Take a photo before you move it too, so we can see if that is the problem or not.

I haven't managed to get the hutch moved yet, but here's some photos of how it is now. I think you may be right, the hutch has room around it but the overhang was almost touching the shed where the slabs have settled a bit over the winter. I've shuffled it forwards an inch or so.

3fecea4ebd5cd683432820a45ccff1ca.jpg
0a307a32f261473faea74e3789992cbc.jpg
c19a5d7d5583a4c50e8c4767f98fe328.jpg

As its dry now, I'm going to put a plastic sheet over it as a temporary measure I think. In the spring we're moving them closer to the house, but I don't want to ruin the roof in the meantime!

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help [emoji4]

That isn't condensation so the rain is seeping in yhrough a weak spot. As there is some sort of screw/bolt at the end of the hutch roof, it is possible for water to seep in through thast. I wouldn't use plastic as this tends to sweat, so as you have some felt left I would put a second layer and make sure you cover the bolt and all along the back but don't put felt pins in through the hutch roof as it is a way of more rain getting in.

You could have a cover made if you wanted but you have made shutters which are a good idea :thumb: If you want to look into a cover I can give you the address/tel. no.

If it was touching in places the water may well have run down and hit the wood along the back and soaked through - like the weird way drips of water curl around under the edge of a table if you spill. Did the damp patch correspond with that screw on the top corner - that could also be the culprit!

It didn't seem to match up with the screw, I'm hoping it was because it was touching the shed!
Time will tell I suppose. Thanks all for your help [emoji4]

It's probably getting in by seeping up under the felt: you need a good inch of overhang. Just like taps that have little 'spout downhang' and the water when it flows slowly goes back under the tap and onto the sink :) Especialy with that 'coming away' thing happenoing by the liiks of things.

I dunno if you need to remove what's there and refelt entirely (it's dead easy) or just felt over, but refelting with an overhang will help.

I also don't doubt moving it a couple of inches further away will help! Mine have a hutch under a windowbox and since you posted your first pictures I've been scrutinising it :D

Thanks! I'll definitely either re felt or go over the top and leave it longer at the back [emoji1303]
Hopefully next weekend if it's dry. For now I've pulled it forwards and covered it with a tarp and the roof seems to be drying out!

Thanks! I'll definitely either re felt or go over the top and leave it longer at the back [emoji1303]
Hopefully next weekend if it's dry. For now I've pulled it forwards and covered it with a tarp and the roof seems to be drying out!

I would take off the felt and see what it looks like underneath, it could be the screw hole as the screw is on the back left and the images you shown where its wet is on the back left. I would say its a hole in the felt somewhere as nothing seem to be stopping the water dripping off.

Ok, thanks, I won't go over the top then so can check it out.
Although I think the bolt is how the roof is fixed on so I don't suppose I can really avoid it! There's definitely nothing stopping the water running off any more , since it's no longer touching the shed [emoji1303]

Back