• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

General Behaviour Question?

Colly

Warren Scout
Hi all, just a query, my bunny is nearly 2 now, he's absolutely fine with regards to eating and pooping, the only thing is he's gone a bit quiet, sleeping alot, lying flat on his tummy head down looking sad, not enjoying being stroked for too long, I just wonder if this is how it goes, he's not been running about to much either, although he's bright as a button when food is about....do bunny's go through phases? I do wonder because i don't pick him up if that means he's hasn't bonded to me, we do lots of nose rubs and he's loves a stroke on his level behind his ears, but even that seems to annoy him a lttle lately...I may be reading way to much into it, as I guess every bunny is different, and they have moods just like us?! thank you for any advice. :)

I would get a vet to check him.Any behaviour change can mean there is something wrong.He may be fine but its very well worth doing especially as he may be abit sensitive around his ears.

I would get a vet to check him.Any behaviour change can mean there is something wrong.He may be fine but its very well worth doing especially as he may be abit sensitive around his ears.

Yes I agree with this advice ^^

It's difficult for us to know the things to look out for with bunnies, sometimes.

Would you think of getting him a partner, sometime in the future maybe? If he gets a bit down or lonely, he would well appreciate some company :)

Another vote for getting him checked over at the vet - ears, teeth, guts, etc. Bunnies are prey animals so hide their symptoms. If they are looking a bit 'off', there is possibly something wrong. As long as he is eating and pooing normally, it is not an emergency - just go in the next day or so for a routine check-up. Things are best caught early before they become an emergency. Trust your instincts.

Hi all, thanks for your response.
Hi Mightymax, the thought of getting a buddy for Obi is never far from my mind, I'm just not sure I'm up to the job, so Obi has the run of an entire house all day every day, so neutral territory would be a problem, Obi is a messy bunny and when I'm not at work I'm sweeping up hay and cleaning up after 1 bun (he's so very worth it though) so I can't imagine what mess 2 would make....as a new to rabbits owner I worry about Obi daily and he's had his fair share of problems, the thought of worrying about 2 bunnies!!!! I won't lie the thought of him having a friend to cuddle up to, especially when I'm not there (I'm out for about 9 hours a day) almost out weights all the listed worries!! I have given this lots of thought....just don't know what to do for the best. :?

Hi there! If your bunny isn't neutered it could well be that he feels he is missing out on something, if you know what I mean :D If he is neutered you could get him a little friend (female preferably) so he''s not alone. On the other hand if he is lying down a lot, he might have a tummy problem. Maybe he eats too much?

Hi Tonibun, he is neutered, and yes I'm thinking about a friend...It could be his tum, he certainly eats lots and I have been giving him quite a bit of carrot ( I know, I know) he just loves it sooo much, but he mainly eats loads of hay, mixture of all types.....I'll see how he is tonight, I 'll try and get him to run round and play a bit and I'll lay of the carrot. thank you.:)

Hi Mightymax, the thought of getting a buddy for Obi is never far from my mind, I'm just not sure I'm up to the job, so Obi has the run of an entire house all day every day, so neutral territory would be a problem, Obi is a messy bunny and when I'm not at work I'm sweeping up hay and cleaning up after 1 bun (he's so very worth it though) so I can't imagine what mess 2 would make....as a new to rabbits owner I worry about Obi daily and he's had his fair share of problems, the thought of worrying about 2 bunnies!!!! I won't lie the thought of him having a friend to cuddle up to, especially when I'm not there (I'm out for about 9 hours a day) almost out weights all the listed worries!! I have given this lots of thought....just don't know what to do for the best.

Hi Mightymax, the thought of getting a buddy for Obi is never far from my mind, I'm just not sure I'm up to the job, so Obi has the run of an entire house all day every day, so neutral territory would be a problem, Obi is a messy bunny and when I'm not at work I'm sweeping up hay and cleaning up after 1 bun (he's so very worth it though) so I can't imagine what mess 2 would make....as a new to rabbits owner I worry about Obi daily and he's had his fair share of problems, the thought of worrying about 2 bunnies!!!! I won't lie the thought of him having a friend to cuddle up to, especially when I'm not there (I'm out for about 9 hours a day) almost out weights all the listed worries!! I have given this lots of thought....just don't know what to do for the best. :?

Well Colly, here's the low down on 24/7 free ranging buns :D

1. Yes they can create a mess around the house, but having had various combinations I can honestly say (not trying to persuade you) that two or three buns don't create any more mess than one. This is because they don't get up to *quite* so much mischief during their 24 hour freedom because a lot of the time is spent snuggling up to the partner bun. Yes admittedly one could lead the other into mischief, but because there are two, you could perhaps contain them in one room say overnight or when you're out and can't be with them (which is in fact probably nearer to 17 hours a day?). They won't get so bored because they will have each other.

2. Neutral territory - you just clean up your kitchen or bathroom, and whilst they are happily bonding in one of those places, you hoover (and I steam) the other carpets and freshen up the house like new. Well not like new, but you know what I mean :lol:

3. Worrying about them ... Well I agree that's a fair point, but they will be able to go to the vet together and always support one another. You will have to budget for 2 bunnies (vaccinations and neuters etc) instead of one. Unless you go to a Rescue Centre where the initial cost is much less for you.

4. You just cannot beat the sight of two bunnies snuggled :love::love::love::love::love:

........ so ..... something to think about when you're sure that Obi is fully fit and well :D

Well Mightymax you have put forward a very good case indeed! And I have already had a quick look at rescue centres local to me to see if they have any ladies for my boy and if they can help with the process...All the serious and sensible stuff aside, point number 4 makes me want that for Obi more than anything and I do believe it would make his life happier (I'll just have to except that I can't be his everything by being his human mum)....thank you!!! Its given me plenty to think about :wave:

Well Mightymax you have put forward a very good case indeed! And I have already had a quick look at rescue centres local to me to see if they have any ladies for my boy and if they can help with the process...All the serious and sensible stuff aside, point number 4 makes me want that for Obi more than anything and I do believe it would make his life happier (I'll just have to except that I can't be his everything by being his human mum)....thank you!!! Its given me plenty to think about :wave:

always welcome Colly :wave:

Hope Obi's health proves to be great and you can go ahead and make plans :D

Back