• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can someone tell me I'm being daft, because I feel really sad U/D page 5/post 44

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
and I don't know why :(

Coco wasn't well this morning. She's normally the most robust of our girls, it's Thumper who is usually the poorly one.

Coco was stretched out this morning, belly to the floor. She ate some pellets first thing, about 8.30 but then at 9.30 when I went to let them out in the garden, she was belly to the floor. She eventually came out of the shed, went to the bottom of the garden where she again lay down. Moved a minute or so later to another corner of the garden, lay down. Totally out of character for her.

Phoned the vet and given it's Sunday there's only one on, earliest appointment was 12.10. I couldn't stand to see her in discomfort for 2 hours so gave her a dose of metacam. Now I normally don't give this but as Coco is rarely ill I didn't see it would do her any harm (I don't routinely give it to Thumper as she's poorly more often).

11.30 Coco seems much better, not stretched out, but as this was the second time in 2 or 3 weeks, I decided to keep the vet appointment.

Vet gave her jab of pain relief/gut stimulant, plus baytril just in case there was any infection (we've had rats inside the shed :shock: luckily only once; this is fact).

She said that because Coco's dosed up to the eyeballs she will probably be tired and I'm to give her Recovery, ranitadine and some other liquid for her bowels.

Let them settle for a couple of hours then gave the ranitadine and 4mls of Recovery. She dribbled the majority of 1ml of the other stuff back out, so I didn't try that again but left it in a bowl for her.

At 4pm (tea time) Thumper came out for a bounce, Coco was very wary of me but didn't want to leave the shed. Eventually she allowed me to stroke her face/nose and shut her eyes. I was happy with the way she was lying - kind of sphinx like, paws tucked under her like a cat, not stretched out. And as the vet said she'd be tired, that was okay.

I have seen her eat hay both straight after the vet, when I dosed her up and again at 4.

My husband's just gone to turn the light off, give them their supper as it were. She did stretch out, he thought mmmm. But then she got up and was okay. Has refused the dried herbs though, which she normally grumps at Thumper over, so he tried a little muesli, nope, not interested. But she then sat and ate hay quite contentedly.

The vet said she'll be fine and I trust the vet. She is of course doped up to her eyeballs, the stress of being pricked and poked (she's not used to it, it's usually Thumper), the vet said she would be tired.

The wind is howling around outside, and I'm sat here with a lump in my throat and tears threatening.

There is nothing to indicate she won't be okay, but it's just so unlike her I'm like :cry:

I think generally I've not had a good day with one thing and another, plus I'm tired, so for Coco to still be eating hay but not interested in her treat food is just odd. But then I tell myself when I'm not well I eat the basics but not chocolate - same thing I guess.

I know I'm being silly (I'm 46 for goodness' sake!) but I just can't shake this feeling.

Last edited:
I'm not going to tell you you're being daft, because actually I don't think you are. Well if you are, then I would have to also admit to being daft when the same thing happens to me. I really hate it when any of my rabbits are unwell. I find it's also so much worse if it's night/evening time. My rabbits are also outside, tucked up in a cosy shed but still outside, and so with the weather as it is, I would find it even more distressing.

I hope that Coco will show signs of improvement in the morning.

Not being daft at all. The slightest sign any of mine are unwell and I'm instantly stressed - getting up checking on them every couple of hours through the night, staying up late 'watching' what they are doing, can't focus on anything else. It's just because you care.

I hope Coco feels better soon x

Thank you both x

It's hammering down with rain now too :(.

They are cosy in their shed, lots of hay on the floor, 3 heat pads, straw filled bed-chamber, each other of course. But as you say, Omi, it really doesn't help because she's under the weather. I think the meds have made her tired (as I was warned) and I'm tired too, which makes me less rational and more emotional I suppose, not a good mix!

I think your comparison of when you are poorly and just want to eat basic food, not chocolate sums it up pretty perfectly. It is an excellent sign that she is eating hay as this is what she needs the most for the fibre to help her guts going. I certainly wouldn't say you are being daft though, as others have said I too panic at every slight sign of something not being right so I would say it is pretty normal for you to be worried, especially given this horrid British weather. I hope she perks up a bit more by the morning to put your mind at ease, however if still in doubt in the morning you can always take her back to the vets again :)

You are not being daft, you have had a scare with Coco, it is a perfectly normal response to be feeling like it I'd say. Having these bunnies I have now has brought out some sort of anxiety purely over their health in me I didn't even know I had, I'm not like it with anything else at all. I guess because we know how delicate these small furries can be, and are so in tune with when they are not right that it makes us feel this way.

I imagine Coco can tell she has not been right and that her body needs the hay, just like when they crave cardboard when their tummies are a bit off. I think their natural instinct is to go for something full of fibre. It is a really good sign she is eating it independently, I hope she continues to improve and is back to normal tomorrow xxx

Thank you both for your replies too, that's very kind.

And newbabybuns, oddly enough she was trying to eat newspaper earlier but I took it off her and offered her hay instead, which she had a nibble of.

I've just had a nice hot bath with, oddly enough "stress relief" bubble bath, and feel a little better (due to the hot bath itself rather than the bubble bath I think, plus I let myself have a little cry before I got in, let it all out, so to speak).

She does have an appointment in the morning, 9.30, but I'll see how she is first. If she's back to normal I don't really want to upset her by taking her back for another jab (vet said she was going to give her another painkilling/gut stimulant jab tomorrow) but then if I don't, could it set her back? But at least a 9.30am appointment gives her all day to get over the shock and I doubt she'll be as dosed up as she was today. Decisions, decisions.

I'm logging off now, going to bed!

Thank you all, very much obliged and you have put my mind at ease for which I am grateful x

I said to someone just yesterday, "I think I've cried more over my animals than I ever have over humans I love/d!
There's also the whole, humans can tell us what's wrong whilst animals can't, so we often feel absolutely useless. One of my rabbits, Hoppity, isn't great tummy wise but I'm now getting used to it and have medicine on hand. So no longer run indoors, greeting and snottery shouting to my husband that she's probably dying, rushing to vet where she pops out of carrier looking fine!!! ���� My 2 are outdoor buns but after seeing Hoppity's indoor misery after her sterilisation I have no worries about them being outdoors in any weather. They have treats, toys, heater and as you said, each other.
Take care and take my advice........whisky solves all problems**.

**AA would like to distance themselves from this statement. ;)

I said to someone just yesterday, "I think I've cried more over my animals than I ever have over humans I love/d!
There's also the whole, humans can tell us what's wrong whilst animals can't, so we often feel absolutely useless. One of my rabbits, Hoppity, isn't great tummy wise but I'm now getting used to it and have medicine on hand. So no longer run indoors, greeting and snottery shouting to my husband that she's probably dying, rushing to vet where she pops out of carrier looking fine!!! 🙄🙄 My 2 are outdoor buns but after seeing Hoppity's indoor misery after her sterilisation I have no worries about them being outdoors in any weather. They have treats, toys, heater and as you said, each other.
Take care and take my advice........whisky solves all problems**.

**AA would like to distance themselves from this statement. ;)
One of my bunnies is the same, he has either had or had the start of Stasis three times in the past month! I've only had him for just under two months as well after rescuing him from someone that was neglecting him and he has already cost me about £300 in vet treatment and special food! I have to say he is very much worth it though as he is the friendliest bunny [emoji4] (I love my other two just as much of course, they are just not as confident as little Storm)

I have to say though, I'm quite glad that he started getting it when he came to me as the old owner wouldn't have taken him to the vets which means he wouldn't have got treatment for his teeth (caused by the neglect) or for Stasis, so my poor little man probably would have died [emoji20] Luckily though his new mummy rescued him and loves him very much [emoji1] [emoji38]

not daft at all. it's upsetting when they aren't themselves and you love her so much that it's only natural to feel worried and teary. hugs x

WandB, funnily enough Hoppity is the bold one and Hector who is a fit and well wee thing is scared of everything! He hates change, even new toys are looked at with suspicion! :lol: I always think about rabbits who aren't treated well when Hoppity is unwell, they suffer so quietly that you just want to help them but some eedjits just won't bother.

Anyway I'm taking the topic in a direction not likely to cheer Angie...... Sorry.

G-Man to be honest even though I've ended up in tears over the girls on more than one occasion, I'm actually glad it's us that have them. I have often thought that if anyone else had them, would they have been treated the same, would they even still be alive. So although they stress me out, I'm glad that we have them to look after them properly and ensure that they receive the right care and treatment :).

Coco although a little better this morning still wasn't back to being herself so I kept the 9.30 appointment, much to her and Thumper's dismay.

More jabs, including 50ml of saline under the skin, just in case she's a bit dehydrated (that was actually my suggestion as it was a treatment which made Thumper much better one time). She's now on 6 meds a day (!) for 5 days BUT if she spits them out - which, sadly, Coco is very good at - then she will have to be hospitalised. I can't disguise it in food as she's very sharp and won't eat it. I've tried.

Luckily she is eating hay, but I know she's not herself as she is refusing all treat food. Now that is not my Coco, not at all. So hopefully come teatime or tomorrow morning anyway, she will be. But providing she's taking all her meds (she'll hate the sight of me soon) she should make a full recovery.

And I think I know what caused it. Fur. I found a few poops stuck together with fur. Yet they're not moulting that badly yet.

They're Rex Mini Satins - any ideas on a brush that will get rid of loose fur but not pull of the skin as well, please? Thanks

And thank you all for your replies, especially the suggestion of whisky - that made me smile :) xx

I'm pleased to see this update and that she is still eating hay. I hope she takes her meds like a good girl. Fancy having a Rex that spits food out :lol: I hope she returns quickly to her normal self.

As far as getting rid of fur is concerned, I wet my hands and rub them over my Rexes. I've never used a brush and this seems to work.

I stroke mine (also mini rexes) with damp hands but that's all
DP has never had stasis, waffles very mild a couple of times a year
I also feed her plantain as it's nice and plain, lots of options of hay and oxbow papaya or digestive treats
Hope she perks up soon x

U r not daft at all. U want to see the state of me when any of mine take sick . I can't eat until they do! So I totally empathise . Poor Coco. Glad she is eatting her hay and hope she continues to improve x

Well I went to check on them at about dinner time. Thumper visibly shook when I went into the shed :(. Luckily she stopped and ate some hay when she realised I wasn't going to get the pet carrier down and bundle them into it.

Coco, I made her eat some hay. Shoved it under her nose, she got angry with it and ate it, lol. Oh well, it worked. She is pooping but they're very small, but it's poop so that's something.

I'm just about to go and see if they want to go into the garden for a bit. Thumper will as she went out about lunch time, gnawed the door in fact to tell me she wanted to go out, bless her. Sadly it's too soon for Coco's meds. Thumper gets upset when I catch Coco to give her the meds. I think Thumps thinks it's her turn next. The last thing I want is for her to get stressed out and go into stasis too. Hopefully she'll quickly get used to the fact that she is NOT next and will relax. I hate this. I'm not having any more pets once they've all gone, I can't deal with the stress of it all. The hamster's got arthritis, he's 2 on Valentine's Day and on daily metacam. Sometimes he looks really old, you know? And yet sometimes he's off like a shot, he can still shift for a wobbly, arthritic hamster, bless him. Our budgie is coming up to 7 I think. Or maybe 6. He's fine though, no trouble at all, thank goodness! Anyway, I'm rambling. I need to go before it pours down with rain!

I'm just feeling a bit sorry for myself I guess, although it's Coco who I'm worried about. It's just so not like her to be so quiet and off treats. Their "breakfast" hadn't been touched when I went in at lunchtime. I say lunchtime, it was about 1.30pm.

Last edited:
Well Coco still isn't herself, she's still a bit lethargic although has been eating hay (seen her eat) and we think doing small poops, but she's still most definitely not as bright eyed and bushy tailed as normal. It's very worrying to see her so flat whereas normally she is full of life. I've given her all of her meds for today and although she dribbled some out, she then had a wash so took it back in.

My husband has just been out to give them their dried herbs, heat pads, a fuss and turn out the light. Coco normally comes flying over as soon as the herb box is opened, but not tonight, wasn't bothered in the slightest, didn't even come downstairs from the hutch (they're in the shed). She did come down to go to the litter corner but sadly he couldn't tell whether she pooped or not as it was too dark up the corner, plus there's poops there already, then she went back upstairs. She's not stretched out onto her tummy, which is good, but she just looks fed up.

I've just said to my husband that I have a bad feeling about this. Even Thumper recovers faster than this.

In the morning after I've cleaned the toilet areas, hopefully Coco will stay in the shed while Thumper goes out ... and then hopefully she'll go poop. Then she can have her meds.

I really, really don't want to have to take them back to the vet as I'm frightened it'll set Thumper off as well. She visibly shook when I went in at about 1.30 today to check on them, only stopping when she realised I wasn't going to grab them and shove them in the carrier.

We'll have to see how she is in the morning. I hope she's a bit brighter as she's starting to really worry me now but what else can we do? The vet's done all she can with jabs, I've got 5 oral meds to give her (the 6th one was Recovery food).

Fingers crossed she is better in the morning.

Last edited:
I don't know how strong a bond your two girls have, but in the past I have just taken one out of the three rabbits to the vets, because I know that they all hate it so much. I've never had any problem when the rabbit has returned and joined the other two.

I know this is not recommended on here, but it seems to work better here sometimes.

They've never been apart since they've been born, Omi, and they turn 5 in June, so I'm loathe to separate them to be honest. Once the one has been seen to by the vet, she cuddles back into the other one still in the carrier though, like moral support if you like. And I think if I do end up taking her back, she'll stay for at least a whole day so they will have to stay together for that anyway.

But thank you for your suggestion :) x

Back