• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mac Cosmetics

Do you know any companies that don't test on animals? I point blank refuse to use anything that is tested on animals (apart from medication that I need, and even then I'm not happy about it), so I would be happy to list a few that I know are cruelty free? :)

There is a list of companies that don't test on animals on the bottom of the link page.
Smashbox, aveda, lush, bare minerals, body shop..

I find it such a shame that such a high profile, expensive brand feels like they need to test on animals. Surely by now we know what is harmful to humans? Can we never just 'make do'?

I think I have one thing from Herbal Essences and a face scrub from St Ives... I don't really have many cosmetics and most of my things are from Lush anyway. The St Ives face scrub is by far the best I've ever tried, but I won't be buying it again...

Yes I understand, after seeing those poor rabbits:cry:
There is a cruelty free vegan cosmetic company called Beauty without cruelty also, might be worth a look.

I honestly had no idea that some of those companies tested on animals. I should have been more aware really.
I read that article whilst laying on my bed with BooBoo snuggled up next to my legs and it made me feel sick to think that something like her could be treated so cruelly. Thank You for sharing this, I'm making a note of those brands which I shall avoid from now on (although I don't tend to buy from most of them anyway). I'm in quite an angry mood today anyway, but seeing that some of those brands, which we should be able to trust, do use animals for testing has really annoyed me!

I just don't get why in this day and age they need to test on animals still. Petra got an abundance of extra snuggles after this was posted on my facebook. Makes me sick that someone can treat bunnies - or any animals - like this and not have empathy about it.

At least Rimmel are cruelty free.

I think Rimmel test on animals, well they say they are cruelty free but because they sell to China they have to test on animals as it's a requirement or something to be able to sell over there. So a lot of companies, even companies that don't or didn't test on animals but now have parent companies that do say they don't test but they do because they sell to/in China.

If any of that makes sense :lol:

Two of my favourite make-up companies are MUA and Gosh and both are cruelty free :)

It is also worth baring in mind that any cosmetics that say 'made in China' are also not cruelty free as the same rule that Aly&Poppy stated applies to cosmetics that are actually made there. They are legally not allowed to sell any products that aren't tested on animals due to 'health and safety' reasons, which is quite frankly a load of rubbish. But then again this is the same sort of country that holds the YuLin dog meat festival once a year so we shouldn't really be surprised that the way they treat lab animals is just as bad as the way they treat their dogs.

On a happier note, there are still hundreds of companies that don't test on animals and even though a vast majority of them are expensive, there are also several more that aren't :)

Edit: I've just had another thought, for everyday items such as deodorant, toothpaste, hand soap, shampoo/conditioner, face wash, make-up wipes etc you can get them all from Superdrug. They do all of these products in their own brand and they are leaping bunny certified by PETA, meaning they are 100% cruelty free. The majority of those products are also really good quality and often smell lovely too [emoji4]

Last edited:
Unfortunately superdrug is not 100% cruelty free because its parent company isn't, much like the body shop. However co-op, m&s and waitrose all are and you can get body wash, hand wash, deodorant and household cleaning supplies from them. M&S do good makeup. Lush do fantastic face stuff and 'green people' do amazing shampoo and conditioner. All cruelty free!

I was totally unaware of animal testing a few months ago. I thought as it was banned in the U.K. For cosmetics that would mean no companies tested, how wrong I was! But with a bit of research it's been really easy to switch over to cruelty free products, and better for my face and hair as lots of the stuff I use is more natural and organic than the things I used to use!

Last edited:
Unfortunately superdrug is not 100% cruelty free because its parent company isn't, much like the body shop. However co-op, m&s and waitrose all are and you can get body wash, hand wash, deodorant and household cleaning supplies from them. M&S do good makeup. Lush do fantastic face stuff and 'green people' do amazing shampoo and conditioner. All cruelty free!

I was totally unaware of animal testing a few months ago. I thought as it was banned in the U.K. For cosmetics that would mean no companies tested, how wrong I was! But with a bit of research it's been really easy to switch over to cruelty free products, and better for my face and hair as lots of the stuff I use is more natural and organic than the things I used to use!
Superdrug itself is 100% cruelty free, it's just it's parent company isn't. PETA wouldn't have marked it as leaping bunny certified if they weren't sure that it was 100% cruelty free. It is a real shame that despite Superdrug being cruelty free, the parent company isn't. The Body Shop is also classed as 100% cruelty free even though the parent company isn't. PETA still classes them as 100% cruelty free as the company on it's own doesn't test on animals at all and PETA will also not mark any brand as leaping bunny certified if they test on animals in any way, shape or form.

It is confusing though that the parent company of both companies do still test on animals as it doesn't make sense for one to test on animals but not the other. However I am glad that Superdrug itself does not test on animals as their products are excellent! Comparing the two in regards to their policies and putting them in the same category is kind of like comparing a mother and daughter and putting them in the same category even if they don't have the same policies. Like, I personally won't eat meat whereas my mum will so when I prepare her meals sometimes I have to interact with the meat, however that doesn't make me not 100% vegetarian. So the Superdrug/The Body Shop do interact with the parent companies, but they clearly do not have the same policies if you get what I mean?

Reading through my comment I understand that it sounds slightly standoffish or rude however it wasn't supposed to sound like that at all, I just wasn't sure how else to word it haha [emoji12]

Superdrug itself is 100% cruelty free, it's just it's parent company isn't. PETA wouldn't have marked it as leaping bunny certified if they weren't sure that it was 100% cruelty free. It is a real shame that despite Superdrug being cruelty free, the parent company isn't. The Body Shop is also classed as 100% cruelty free even though the parent company isn't. PETA still classes them as 100% cruelty free as the company on it's own doesn't test on animals at all and PETA will also not mark any brand as leaping bunny certified if they test on animals in any way, shape or form.

It is confusing though that the parent company of both companies do still test on animals as it doesn't make sense for one to test on animals but not the other. However I am glad that Superdrug itself does not test on animals as their products are excellent! Comparing the two in regards to their policies and putting them in the same category is kind of like comparing a mother and daughter and putting them in the same category even if they don't have the same policies. Like, I personally won't eat meat whereas my mum will so when I prepare her meals sometimes I have to interact with the meat, however that doesn't make me not 100% vegetarian. So the Superdrug/The Body Shop do interact with the parent companies, but they clearly do not have the same policies if you get what I mean?

Reading through my comment I understand that it sounds slightly standoffish or rude however it wasn't supposed to sound like that at all, I just wasn't sure how else to word it haha [emoji12]

Not rude at all, I find this topic really interesting to discuss :) I totally understand your point. I just worry that any money I spend in superdrug, body shop etc is ultimately going to benefit a parent company that tests on animals? It's why I dislike shopping in supermarkets that aren't cruelty free, even if I'm just buying veg, because ultimately my money could be used towards testing on animals.

However my mum did contact Liz earl about this as I was concerned about parent companies and they said that Liz earl are totally separate from their parent company Avon, in the sense that none of Liz earls money/profit goes towards Avon and its animal testing. But I just can't quite understand that. Why would a parent company be a parent company if it didn't get any financial benefit from its daughter company?

Back