• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coccidiosis

HI everyone!

We recently adopted a young rabbit (around 3 months). After having her a few days she had an outbreak of diarrhoea. We've taken her to the vet who diagnosed coccidiosis via a faecal flotation test. She's been having opiates and sub cut fluids on her 3 vet visits. She's now at home and on metronidazole (0.5ml X2 daily) and sulfatrim oral drops (0.2ml x 2 daily) for 2 weeks. She's also on fibreplex (0.7ml x 3 daily). She's also been placed dual care rabbit pellets.

She's still having diarrhoea, however seems a bit more perky in herself. We're syringe feeding diet and fluids. We're also trying to be vigilant re. Cleaning and disnfecting using some cleaning thing the vet gave.
Has anyone got any advice re. Anything else that we should be doing? Or any advice if any one else little one has had this?? We know it has quite a poor prognosis but has anyone managed to get their rabbit through it?
Thanks!

I am sorry that your Rabbit has such a nasty illness. Do you have any other Rabbits and have you alerted the people you obtained the Rabbit from that she has confirmed coccidiosis. ?I ask as, as your Vet hopefully explained, Coccidiosis is highly contagious so all in contact Rabbits are at risk.

With regards to treatment, the medication your Rabbit is on is appropriate, but as you know the prognosis is guarded at best. Especially in baby Rabbits. I have had experience of Rescue Rabbits surviving intestinal coccidiosis after aggressive treatment, but I have also had experience of Rescue/Pet Shop Rabbits who did not survive.

Fluids and fibre are as essential as the drugs being given, so it's good that you are giving the SQ fluids and fibrelex. Is she eating hay ?

There are other drugs that could be prescribed to treat coccidiosis and these links may be informative :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.htm

I do hope that your Rabbit can recover xx

HI everyone!

We recently adopted a young rabbit (around 3 months). After having her a few days she had an outbreak of diarrhoea. We've taken her to the vet who diagnosed coccidiosis via a faecal flotation test. She's been having opiates and sub cut fluids on her 3 vet visits. She's now at home and on metronidazole (0.5ml X2 daily) and sulfatrim oral drops (0.2ml x 2 daily) for 2 weeks. She's also on fibreplex (0.7ml x 3 daily). She's also been placed dual care rabbit pellets.

She's still having diarrhoea, however seems a bit more perky in herself. We're syringe feeding diet and fluids. We're also trying to be vigilant re. Cleaning and disnfecting using some cleaning thing the vet gave.
Has anyone got any advice re. Anything else that we should be doing? Or any advice if any one else little one has had this?? We know it has quite a poor prognosis but has anyone managed to get their rabbit through it?
Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm really sorry to learn of your young rabbit. Your vet sounds on the ball as far as medications and fluids are concerned, so you can trust what they are doing.

The only other thing I would flag up is about scrupulous attention to hygiene. There's some good info here:

http://www.netvet.co.uk/rabbits/coccidiosis.htm

Regarding alternative treatments:

Currently, it has been suggested that toltrazuril is a more effective medication to treat this disease. Secondary bacterial infections may need to be treated although care should be taken when using antibiotics with rabbits.

I really hope your rabbit pulls though. Good luck! x

Thanks for your responses! :wave:
Yes we have 2 rabbits. We're keeping the two completely separately to try and minimise the risk of it spreading. In fact we've moved Bailey outside so that him and Molly aren't sharing any areas at all. Our vet has noted the place that we got her from and they are currently paying for all the vet bills. They've also been in contact with everyone that got a rabbit around the same time to make sure the others are all healthy, which luckily it seems like they are at the minute!
She is eating a little hay. She spent the day at the vets again today and she seems to have perked up a little - hopefully this will last. :) They said she was eating dandelion leaves this morning.
Thanks for all the advice!! Fingers crossed now she gets better. I will keep you updated!

Yes we have 2 rabbits. We're keeping the two completely separately to try and minimise the risk of it spreading. In fact we've moved Bailey outside so that him and Molly aren't sharing any areas at all. Our vet has noted the place that we got her from and they are currently paying for all the vet bills. They've also been in contact with everyone that got a rabbit around the same time to make sure the others are all healthy, which luckily it seems like they are at the minute!
She is eating a little hay. She spent the day at the vets again today and she seems to have perked up a little - hopefully this will last. :) They said she was eating dandelion leaves this morning.
Thanks for all the advice!! Fingers crossed now she gets better. I will keep you updated!

You're welcome :wave: Good luck xx

I am glad your Vet has alerted the relevant parties and I hope that they have all taken the necessary action.

When you say that you have moved Bailey outside, do you mean he was an indoor Rabbit and you have now moved him outdoors ? If so perhaps you may re-consider this. He wont be able to regulate his body temperature in an outdoor environment if he has been used to living indoors. It is the wrong time of year to make the transition from indoor living to outdoor living. Maybe I have mis-understood what you mean though :) I hope you do not take offence that I have mentioned it.

I do hope that your poorly Rabbit can pull through.

Back