• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss & Pneumonia - UD all ok!

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hey all haven't been on here in a while.

I have been away for 2 months doing research and left Flo and Tubsy in the care of some more than capable friends. Got back Thursday and Flo is extremely skinny. Friends didn't want to worry me, apparently lost the weight fairly quickly and were feeding her more but she didn't put on any more weight. She is eating normally and pooing normally - seems happy in herself!
So I took her to the vets yesterday (Friday), vet is new to the practice but has an interest in exotics which was a relief. Flo had lost 0.5kgs!!! 😱 Vet couldn't palpate anything abnormal like a tumour in her abdomen. Flo needs a dental but the Spurs are small at the moment and haven't caused any ulcers or anything. So the vet took blood to send off to PALS to check kidney function in case she has CKD.
So basically the plan is; if kidneys fine have anaesthetic for dental. Then if still not putting on any or still losing weight then further investigation like X-rays and scans.

Needing some vibes - so worried about her!!! 😓

Last edited:
Hey all haven't been on here in a while.

I have been away for 2 months doing research and left Flo and Tubsy in the care of some more than capable friends. Got back Thursday and Flo is extremely skinny. Friends didn't want to worry me, apparently lost the weight fairly quickly and were feeding her more but she didn't put on any more weight. She is eating normally and pooing normally - seems happy in herself!
So I took her to the vets yesterday (Friday), vet is new to the practice but has an interest in exotics which was a relief. Flo had lost 0.5kgs!!! 😱 Vet couldn't palpate anything abnormal like a tumour in her abdomen. Flo needs a dental but the Spurs are small at the moment and haven't caused any ulcers or anything. So the vet took blood to send off to PALS to check kidney function in case she has CKD.
So basically the plan is; if kidneys fine have anaesthetic for dental. Then if still not putting on any or still losing weight then further investigation like X-rays and scans.

Needing some vibes - so worried about her!!! 😓

Oh no I'm so sorry!

Your vet seems on the ball though. The plan you've devised is excellent.

Sending millions of vibes xx

Just out of interest, has Tubsy put on weight?

Yeah she does - luckily as the other vet I have seen there has no clue! It is I'm very impressed with her.
Thank you!

He's actually lost weight since December about 150g which is good because he was overweight!! Have noticed he eats much quicker than Flo and then steals part of her portion! so have been sitting with Flo whilst she eats so that he can't steal any!

Yeah she does - luckily as the other vet I have seen there has no clue! It is I'm very impressed with her.
Thank you!

He's actually lost weight since December about 150g which is good because he was overweight!! Have noticed he eats much quicker than Flo and then steals part of her portion! so have been sitting with Flo whilst she eats so that he can't steal any!

You know this is one of the most difficult areas I find with pairing rabbits! They have no sense of manners and if they want your portion they will just eat it :shock:

But if she's been eating loads whilst you were away then it's a bit of a mystery why she's lost so much weight. I guess E.C. could be on the cards, and I wonder if your vet will give a 28 day course to both rabbits just in case ... hmmm....

Sending lots of vibes for the lovely Flo. I hope you and your vet soon find the cause of her weight loss.

I've also found that EC or other parasites can lead to sudden weight loss, especially when the rabbit still seems to be eating well. After a few days on panacur the rabbits started putting weight back on and were fine after that.

You know this is one of the most difficult areas I find with pairing rabbits! They have no sense of manners and if they want your portion they will just eat it :shock:

But if she's been eating loads whilst you were away then it's a bit of a mystery why she's lost so much weight. I guess E.C. could be on the cards, and I wonder if your vet will give a 28 day course to both rabbits just in case ... hmmm....

I know - Tubsy has no manner whatsoever! :oops: think he's learning though, he didn't try to eat hers today but I was sat there haha.

Yeah, my friends even started feeding them more! Oh you know I didn't think of that. Maybe I'll ask about that when she calls next week. I think she was most concerned about kidney problems, but I suppose E.C. could be the cause of kidney problems...interesting I'll question her haha.

I know - Tubsy has no manner whatsoever! :oops: think he's learning though, he didn't try to eat hers today but I was sat there haha.

Yeah, my friends even started feeding them more! Oh you know I didn't think of that. Maybe I'll ask about that when she calls next week. I think she was most concerned about kidney problems, but I suppose E.C. could be the cause of kidney problems...interesting I'll question her haha.

I really hope she doesn't have kidney problems, but it's certainly worth an ask. E.C. can seem like a band wagon we all jump on to explain a lot of things, but there again, it's good to have some protection if it's indicated.

I really hope she doesn't have kidney problems, but it's certainly worth an ask. E.C. can seem like a band wagon we all jump on to explain a lot of things, but there again, it's good to have some protection if it's indicated.

Vet called yesterday evening - bloods were completely normal! Which is a relief but still don't know why she's losing weight. Discussed E.C. vet said that it is unlikely as it usually shows up on bloods with increased WBCs due to stimulation of the immune system. So we just booked her in for a dental on Monday.
BUT - Went to feed Flo & Tubs this morning, both eating well but there were some small ileus like poos in the litter tray :( I assume they must be Flo's - she just doesn't seem quite right today. Tubs was hopping around outside and Flo just sat in the hutch. Might have to call the vets now for some advice...do have some left over meds from her last bout of stasis so could give her some of them.

Vet called yesterday evening - bloods were completely normal! Which is a relief but still don't know why she's losing weight. Discussed E.C. vet said that it is unlikely as it usually shows up on bloods with increased WBCs due to stimulation of the immune system. So we just booked her in for a dental on Monday.
BUT - Went to feed Flo & Tubs this morning, both eating well but there were some small ileus like poos in the litter tray :( I assume they must be Flo's - she just doesn't seem quite right today. Tubs was hopping around outside and Flo just sat in the hutch. Might have to call the vets now for some advice...do have some left over meds from her last bout of stasis so could give her some of them.

Oh dear .. poor Flo and poor you!

Is it unusual that Flo would stay in the hutch if Tubs was hopping around outside?

Best to catch it early if it's the beginnings of stasis...

I was glad to hear the bloods are OK. Maybe the dental will sort things out .. Hope so :)

Oh dear .. poor Flo and poor you!

Is it unusual that Flo would stay in the hutch if Tubs was hopping around outside?

Best to catch it early if it's the beginnings of stasis...

I was glad to hear the bloods are OK. Maybe the dental will sort things out .. Hope so :)

Yes they usually sit cuddled up together, munch on grass together etc. It's rare that I see them apart!!
Hmm that's what I was thinking. Ahh she really does know how to worry me!!

Yes they usually sit cuddled up together, munch on grass together etc. It's rare that I see them apart!!
Hmm that's what I was thinking. Ahh she really does know how to worry me!!

She's trying to tell her Mummy something, that's for sure.

C'mon Flo, spill the beans!

She's trying to tell her Mummy something, that's for sure.

C'mon Flo, spill the beans!

She seems better today - poo is normal and she was happily sat outside with Tubsy munching on grass. But now she seems to be breathing oddly? Usually I have to watch closely to see her breathing but I can see her at the end of the run breathing. She's not dyspnoeic, open mouth breathing and it doesn't seem very heavy? She's kinda bobbing when she breathes. Might take a video.

She seems better today - poo is normal and she was happily sat outside with Tubsy munching on grass. But now she seems to be breathing oddly? Usually I have to watch closely to see her breathing but I can see her at the end of the run breathing. She's not dyspnoeic, open mouth breathing and it doesn't seem very heavy? She's kinda bobbing when she breathes. Might take a video.

Hmmm.. if the WBC's weren't elevated, then once would assume there's no infection contributing to her breathing difficulty.

Next step is X-rays, right? Is there a date lined up for those?

Hmmm.. if the WBC's weren't elevated, then once would assume there's no infection contributing to her breathing difficulty.

Next step is X-rays, right? Is there a date lined up for those?

Yeah exactly...thinking if it was a heart condition it would show up on bloods too?
The vet suggested dental first (which is on Monday) but maybe I'll ask to see if they can x-ray at the same time, save her undergoing two anaesthetics!

Yeah exactly...thinking if it was a heart condition it would show up on bloods too?
The vet suggested dental first (which is on Monday) but maybe I'll ask to see if they can x-ray at the same time, save her undergoing two anaesthetics!

No I don't think the heart condition (if there was one)would necessarily show up in the bloods. I've even known an enlarged heart not show up on X-ray either, but be very clear on Ultrasound.

I don't know whether Flo is insured, but may be worth covering all bases at once whilst she's under GA for dental. But I really hope it's nothing like that :)

No I don't think the heart condition (if there was one)would necessarily show up in the bloods. I've even known an enlarged heart not show up on X-ray either, but be very clear on Ultrasound.

I don't know whether Flo is insured, but may be worth covering all bases at once whilst she's under GA for dental. But I really hope it's nothing like that :)

Hmm the vet did say xrays and scans. Would prefer if she just had 1 GA because last time she had one she went into stasis...but it was for a spay so bit more invasive. She is insured (thank god) don't think I could afford all of it otherwise. Already at £275ish with bloods, dental etc. Hopefully its nothing sinister!

If her breathing isn't right, I would get her seen by the vet before Monday as she may not be fit enough for a GA by then, or it would be an increased risk to her. Gut instinct is normally right - if you think there is something wrong, take her back for a reassessment.

If her breathing isn't right, I would get her seen by the vet before Monday as she may not be fit enough for a GA by then, or it would be an increased risk to her. Gut instinct is normally right - if you think there is something wrong, take her back for a reassessment.

Friends said they have noticed it before too - seems intermittent? But vet didn't pick up on anything during the consult last week. I just auscultated her chest and her heart rate is fine, and there aren't any abnormal sounds. Also her abdomen looks fat, I thought maybe it was distended but it feels soft, maybe gassy? I'll post a video of her breathing in a minute. It's just so weird, she is fine in herself otherwise, spent most of the day outside munching on grass and is pooing normally.
Just want to know what is wrong!!

EDIT: Here's a video.

Last edited:
My bunny does exactly the same before he gives me the final signs (less poo & hay eating) before a dental is needed. I can only see it when he rests, not when he is active & just like Flo, the vet never has the chance to see it.

Back