• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Going to the vets again

So, my little Storm has to go to the vets again in an hour as he is suspected to have Stasis again, for the 3rd time in a month and a half and I would just like to know if there are any questions you would ask? It is already known that he has dental issues but his teeth were checked last week when I had to take him in. It was also only about 3-4 weeks ago that he had dental work. Would anyone suggest asking for blood tests and any other tests? Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

It is possible that he has more problems with his teeth, a lot would depend on the exact nature of his dental problems.

When you say you think he has gut stasis again do you mean he has stopped pooing as well as not eating ?

Blood tests may give some additional information, but there is no guarantee, all may come back as 'normal'.

It is possible that he has more problems with his teeth, a lot would depend on the exact nature of his dental problems.

When you say you think he has gut stasis again do you mean he has stopped pooing as well as not eating ?

Blood tests may give some additional information, but there is no guarantee, all may come back as 'normal'.
He has spurs from being neglected before he came to live with me and as a result his teeth are also uneven.

And he is still eating slightly and also pooing slightly but they are very small and dark. I did speak to a vet on the phone though as they said that it does sound like the beginning of Stasis, but obviously it's impossible to tell without seeing him.

He has spurs from being neglected before he came to live with me and as a result his teeth are also uneven.

And he is still eating slightly and also pooing slightly but they are very small and dark. I did speak to a vet on the phone though as they said that it does sound like the beginning of Stasis, but obviously it's impossible to tell without seeing him.

Hopefully another 'hands on' examination will give the Vet an idea of what the primary cause is. If his teeth are actually growing 'wonky' it is perfectly possible for more spurs to develop over a 4 week period.

Hopefully another 'hands on' examination will give the Vet an idea of what the primary cause is. If his teeth are actually growing 'wonky' it is perfectly possible for more spurs to develop over a 4 week period.
I'm kinda praying that it won't be his teeth but as you said it is definitely possible. I just feel sorry for my poor little man

So, my little Storm has to go to the vets again in an hour as he is suspected to have Stasis again, for the 3rd time in a month and a half and I would just like to know if there are any questions you would ask? It is already known that he has dental issues but his teeth were checked last week when I had to take him in. It was also only about 3-4 weeks ago that he had dental work. Would anyone suggest asking for blood tests and any other tests? Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

When he had a dental, did the vet take an X-ray of his head? That would show any underlying reason for continuing dental issues.

A blood test may well show up something you don't know about, and if it comes back normal, you will feel reassured that there is nothing major that you are all missing. I always feel it's a good idea when faced with these repeated issues.

When he had a dental, did the vet take an X-ray of his head? That would show any underlying reason for continuing dental issues.

A blood test may well show up something you don't know about, and if it comes back normal, you will feel reassured that there is nothing major that you are all missing. I always feel it's a good idea when faced with these repeated issues.
I'm not too sure, we've just got back though and they gave him a gut stimulant and pain relief again as normal. They said they can't see anything wrong with his teeth but said that it is of course difficult to see when looking at them while they are conscious.

They said that if it happens again within 4 weeks then they will investigate further with possible blood tests etc but for now to just wait and see how he goes.

Our Willow was getting possible GI stasis almost every month, no one was sure why but she go so bad that she wasn't pooping for a good few hours and wasn't eating either. After multiple visits to our normal vet and an emergency vet it was suggested that we kept her on a permanent dose of 1ml of liquid paraffin just to keep her moving. Could you maybe mention putting him on something like that? We have no problems at all with Willow since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Willow was getting possible GI stasis almost every month, no one was sure why but she go so bad that she wasn't pooping for a good few hours and wasn't eating either. After multiple visits to our normal vet and an emergency vet it was suggested that we kept her on a permanent dose of 1ml of liquid paraffin just to keep her moving. Could you maybe mention putting him on something like that? We have no problems at all with Willow since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh ok, what does the paraffin do? Just keep the gut moving? I bet you're so glad that she isn't getting ill like that anymore! I hate it that Storm gets ill so often as it must be horrible for him [emoji20]

Ahh ok, what does the paraffin do? Just keep the gut moving? I bet you're so glad that she isn't getting ill like that anymore! I hate it that Storm gets ill so often as it must be horrible for him [emoji20]

Liquid Paraffin simply coats ingesta with oil. If the ingesta is already dehydrated (as is likely when a Rabbit is in gut stasis) it will prevent the rehydration of the ingesta (with fluid therapy) and thus make matters worse. LP will not do anything to promote gut motility or address any primary cause of gut stasis.

Personally I would not administer it to a Rabbit without the specific advice of the Vet treating the Rabbit (as is apparently the case for VikkiLou's Rabbit). And certainly not without the Rabbit having fluid therapy (IV or SQ) first.

What is Storm's exact diet now, food types and quantities ?
Does he drink from a bottle or a bowl ?
Is he an indoor or an outdoor Rabbit?

Sorry for the 'interrogation' but a bit of background history may mean I could offer a few suggestions.

Liquid Paraffin simply coats ingesta with oil. If the ingesta is already dehydrated (as is likely when a Rabbit is in gut stasis) it will prevent the rehydration of the ingesta (with fluid therapy) and thus make matters worse. LP will not do anything to promote gut motility or address any primary cause of gut stasis.

Personally I would not administer it to a Rabbit without the specific advice of the Vet treating the Rabbit (as is apparently the case for VikkiLou's Rabbit). And certainly not without the Rabbit having fluid therapy (IV or SQ) first.

What is Storm's exact diet now, food types and quantities ?
Does he drink from a bottle or a bowl ?
Is he an indoor or an outdoor Rabbit?

Sorry for the 'interrogation' but a bit of background history may mean I could offer a few suggestions.
Oh right ok, don't worry I wasn't going to give it to him without a vet's advice, I was just curious as to what it does haha.

He has 10 pellets in the morning and at night, a small plate of vegetables in the evening and forage leaves all throughout the day. I also provide him with fresh grass, two types of hay and readigrass for if he wants to eat them as I know he is supposed to, but he still won't eat very much of it at all. He has a bottle and a bowl to drink from and lives indoors in my bedroom.

He was previously neglected by a family friend until I rescued him just over 2 months ago as well, hence the problem with his teeth. This may also mean that he doesn't eat the hay as he is simply not used to eating it (my vets words) as I don't think he was provided with very much where he used to live.

Finally, he has always lived without any other bunnies - in fact I don't think he has ever seen another bunny besides when he was born - so I was going to bond him with Biscuit and Willow once it gets warmer, however given the consistent diet issues my vet advised not to go ahead with it as I would not be able to measure his intake/output and therefore not be able to spot if he started to develop Stasis again. Although it would be nice for him to be with other bunnies, I honestly don't think he is too bothered by it as he spends at least 10 hours a day out of his cage (upgrading in a couple of days so he never has to go in his cage [emoji1] ) and lots of time with myself and my dogs, who he absolutely adores. I certainly wouldn't say he is depressed as he spends probably half of his time charging around and binkying bless him. He is also a real mummy's boy and comes up to me for head rubs and stays there for the equivalent of about two hours a day bless him.

Thank you for taking the time to read the thread and offer some advice :)

Last edited:
Sorry your poor bunny is going through this again. I don't have the experience to offer advice as others can, but I do have a dental bunny. Toffee has to go and have his teeth ground down, every 6-7 weeks. He has a misaligned jaw, so his back teeth dont meet, and he develops ulcers on his tongue. The only way the vets knew this, was by doing an X-ray, and also examining the teeth under a general anaesthetic, so that they can see the whole mouth. Is your vet rabbit savvy, if not, it might be worth asking for reccommendations on here. I hope your bun gets sorted out soon, good luck !

Are you giving Storm any veg which might upset him? Was he outdoors when you got him as it is quite a change of environment to bring a bunny indoors to live?

If it were me I think I would probably see if cutting out the vegetables completely makes any difference. You want to be trying to get Storm to have as much fibre as possible. If he's not eating much hay/grass etc then I would try to encourage him to eat more of it by cutting out other foods so that he is more hungry. He's not having many pellets, but again if cutting out the vegetables isn't successful, you could try reducing the pellets even further. It's really a case of trial and error, with the emphasis of trying to get lots of fibre into him. Also cut out one type of food as once, to give it a proper trial.

I hope he feels better soon.

Sorry your poor bunny is going through this again. I don't have the experience to offer advice as others can, but I do have a dental bunny. Toffee has to go and have his teeth ground down, every 6-7 weeks. He has a misaligned jaw, so his back teeth dont meet, and he develops ulcers on his tongue. The only way the vets knew this, was by doing an X-ray, and also examining the teeth under a general anaesthetic, so that they can see the whole mouth. Is your vet rabbit savvy, if not, it might be worth asking for reccommendations on here. I hope your bun gets sorted out soon, good luck !
Aww bless him, I have a feeling that may be the route Storm his headed down. Yes thankfully my vet is rabbit savvy and they actually treat lots of bunnies that are at the RSPCA rescue centres which makes me really confident about their ability to treat Storm correctly.

If it were me I think I would probably see if cutting out the vegetables completely makes any difference. You want to be trying to get Storm to have as much fibre as possible. If he's not eating much hay/grass etc then I would try to encourage him to eat more of it by cutting out other foods so that he is more hungry. He's not having many pellets, but again if cutting out the vegetables isn't successful, you could try reducing the pellets even further. It's really a case of trial and error, with the emphasis of trying to get lots of fibre into him. Also cut out one type of food as once, to give it a proper trial.

I hope he feels better soon.
I know how important it is for him to get fibre so I have tried doing this before, however he still wasn't eating his hay and due to this the main bulk of his diet is vegetables (not what it is supposed to be I know, but I obviously can't shove the hay down his throat and force him to eat it haha) so when he wasn't getting many vegetables he almost lost half a kg because he was hardly eating [emoji21] I have tried different brands of hay, different flavours, different types, mixing it in with the veg or herbs, putting it in toys and of course reducing the pellets and vegetables right down but nothing seems to be making a difference [emoji20]

Are you giving Storm any veg which might upset him? Was he outdoors when you got him as it is quite a change of environment to bring a bunny indoors to live?
No matter what vegetables he is eating (I have done the whole trial and error thing with cutting the veg out) his poos still get smaller and he gets the first signs of stasis. Also yes he was in the garden previously in a very small hutch (probably about 4ftx2ft) in a shed that was very very stuffy and hot, probably actually hotter than my house haha.

Thank you everyone for the advice and vibes, it means a lot x

Good luck, glad you've got a good vet, hope Storm gets sorted out soon x

P.S. Have you tried him on hay cookies ? They tend to be softer, made from chopped hay. I break them up a bit for Toffee, and he wolfs them down, Worth a try !

Back