• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Corvental

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Hi

I'm just trying to find out more information on corvental as Fandango has been prescribed it. From a quick search on here (the only ref on a google search!) I see the doses vary quite a lot.

For those that have used it what dose were you using and did you have any side effects.

Many thanks

Julia

I had it for Wally, recommended by Molly Varga when my vet sought advice from her. I'm not at home right now, but will check what dose he was prescribed. Have a feeling that I had to split contents of capsule into four, but will check.

Thanks Tracy :) yes same, Molly suggested it and my vet put it up this morning. Called Manor to see of she put the dose on the notes but she hadn't. My vet prescribed 1/4 capsule. I emptied the beads. Crushed them and split into 4 piles then put in a shreddie with a bit of metacam. He ate half then turned his nose up so I put a blob of fibreplex on and he's gobbled it up yay!!! :D

I saw a thread where one bun was on 1/2 capsule and another 0.3ml of a 10ml solution. Huge difference so was interested.

What did your bun have it for Tracy? I believe it's a bronchiodialator, Fandango has a solid mass chest tumour. He's being doing ok but is getting less active and struggles after activity. I'm praying it helps

ETA he was 2.7kg but I estimate more like 2.3-2.5kg now. I can't get him on the scales as he's a stress head! At the vet we just leave him in the carrier!

Wally had quarter capsule twice a day, I always tried as near as possible to do 12 hours apart. I had to crush the beads, mix with water and then syringe it in.

He had it for respiratory infection, mainly in his lungs, the idea was that it would help open his airways and make him breathe easier. He would mouth breathe even after the slightest effort. I do think it helped, although we knew that he would never get better and we were just buying him time.

Wally was about 2.4kg. He was stressy too, stress brought on bad mouth breathing episodes. I weighed him every day at morning meds time. I weighed him in the carrier and then deducted the weight of the carrier. This worked well as it was stress free for him, the carrier was his safe hidey place, so he was happy in there.

I hope it will help Fandango. xx

Sorry I cant offer any input on this one Julia, none of my Rabbits have ever been prescribed Corvental. I hope it helps open Fandango's airways up xx

Wally had quarter capsule twice a day, I always tried as near as possible to do 12 hours apart. I had to crush the beads, mix with water and then syringe it in.

He had it for respiratory infection, mainly in his lungs, the idea was that it would help open his airways and make him breathe easier. He would mouth breathe even after the slightest effort. I do think it helped, although we knew that he would never get better and we were just buying him time.

Wally was about 2.4kg. He was stressy too, stress brought on bad mouth breathing episodes. I weighed him every day at morning meds time. I weighed him in the carrier and then deducted the weight of the carrier. This worked well as it was stress free for him, the carrier was his safe hidey place, so he was happy in there.

I hope it will help Fandango. xx

Thanks Tracy, Fandango is on it once a day at the moment but the same dose and about the same weight so that makes me feel better. We are in the same situation as you were with Wally :-( it's just about making things easier for him as he struggles. He's done really well so far though.

Thanks again x

Sorry I cant offer any input on this one Julia, none of my Rabbits have ever been prescribed Corvental. I hope it helps open Fandango's airways up xx

Thanks Jane, he's done really well so far. It's been 16 months since his symptoms first started. He's had a few bad spells recently and has slowed down a lot. He's keeping me on my toes! The high dose metacam has worked well for him. I believe it slows down the cell division and therefore the tumour growth. We are seeing how he does on the corvental before looking to diuretics. My vet couldn't hear much fluid so we think his apathy is down to oxygen conservation. I just take things at his pace and keep praying he keeps fighting x x

Our Smokey was on 1/6th a day, he was a nethie type bun though. I counted all the beads within about 3 capsules ( it was a long time ago so can't remember the numbers) and then took an average of it, then counted out a 1/6 of that twice a day.
The best way we found to give him them was to sprinkle them on a small slice of banana, we called them his 'sprinkles', they stick really well on a banana.
He was also on an aerocat inhaler, for both a bronchiodator and a steroid.

Our Smokey was on 1/6th a day, he was a nethie type bun though. I counted all the beads within about 3 capsules ( it was a long time ago so can't remember the numbers) and then took an average of it, then counted out a 1/6 of that twice a day.
The best way we found to give him them was to sprinkle them on a small slice of banana, we called them his 'sprinkles', they stick really well on a banana.
He was also on an aerocat inhaler, for both a bronchiodator and a steroid.

That must have taken good eyesight to count those beads!! Fandango hates banana!! Sadly he cant have an inhaler, he is extremely skitty and I have to be careful with him as he mouth breathes if I try and get him to do anything he doesnt want to do.

How long did before you guys saw any benefit?

I think it took effect pretty quickly with Wally, it just made his breathing a little more comfortable. For Wally the improvement wasn't massive as the damage in his lungs was substantial, but it was another little step in the right direction as far as keeping him as comfortable as possible.

Nebulising helped Wally's breathing too, he was always much better after a session. We couldn't use a mask as it was too stressful for him and would just bring on a massive mouth breathing episode, so we made a comfy nebulising chamber out of a carrier with some cling film over the wire front door, it was like his little den so he was happy to just sit in there and be nebulised.

I remember only too well dividing out all those little beads.....what a job!

Well Fandango is a lot more perky! He started to pick up yesterday. I've been feeding fresh dandelions so that might be helping too.

Whatever it is I'm grateful! He came running for treats yesterday and took his metacam himself off the syringe which he hasn't done for a while. This morning he came shooting through the cat flap when he heard me shake the bottle! :D A huge change from him sitting disinterested in much for the last few days.

So fingers crossed it continues xx

Back