• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to the forum but I think this is IMPORTANT

VikkiLou

Young Bun
Hi I am new to the forum so not sure exactly where to post this but I though it might be important to other bunny owners. Recently we purchased a bag of 'Tiny Friends Farm' rabbit museli and it came with a free gift of a box of 'Russel Rabbit Munchers' opened the box (which contains 2 different coloured circular biscuits) and offered one to our bunnies who happily took it and devoured it. I then noticed a rather strong smell coming from the box and discovered that the other flavoured biscuits are LEEK, as far as I was aware rabbits are not supposed to have leek. Thought it would be important to warn other bunny owners in case

I apologise if this is in the wrong area of the forum (or if bunnies are in fact allowed leek) and am more than happy to move it to the appropriate one if someone could advise, but thought it was important to post if it saves some bunnies from achey tummies

Hi I am new to the forum so not sure exactly where to post this but I though it might be important to other bunny owners. Recently we purchased a bag of 'Tiny Friends Farm' rabbit museli and it came with a free gift of a box of 'Russel Rabbit Munchers' opened the box (which contains 2 different coloured circular biscuits) and offered one to our bunnies who happily took it and devoured it. I then noticed a rather strong smell coming from the box and discovered that the other flavoured biscuits are LEEK, as far as I was aware rabbits are not supposed to have leek. Thought it would be important to warn other bunny owners in case

I apologise if this is in the wrong area of the forum (or if bunnies are in fact allowed leek) and am more than happy to move it to the appropriate one if someone could advise, but thought it was important to post if it saves some bunnies from achey tummies

Welcome to the Forum VikkiLou :wave:

Thank you for the heads up about this. Rabbits shouldn't be routinely fed vegetables from the onion family (including leek) due to their propensity to cause blood abnormalities.

Do feel free to tell us more about your rabbits and upload photos if you'd like to :)

It's sad because a lot of big brands frequently sell food that is labelled for rabbits but is actually unsuitable for them.
Welcome to the forum though and as MightyMax said, it would be lovely to hear more about your bunnies and even see pictures of them if possible!

Not yet wanted to definitely make sure that bunnies can't eat leeks first (as I assumed that a pet food manufacturer would know) didn't want to start complaining and then find out that actually the biscuits are fine (the whole box is supposed to contain 6% leeks)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet wanted to definitely make sure that bunnies can't eat leeks first (as I assumed that a pet food manufacturer would know) didn't want to start complaining and then find out that actually the biscuits are fine (the whole box is supposed to contain 6% leeks)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The % they put on the box tends to indicate the minimum amount that would be used & the actual % could in fact be a lot higher.

Back