• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not had a great time of it recently . .

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
We have had a real up and down few weeks here.

One of the 'problems' with having multiple buns is that sometimes everything seems to happen at once. First of all it was our newcomer PeachBlossom who came to us with an undiagnosed and unspotted problem (NOT the rescues fault) of an internal infection after her spay. That resulted in emergency operation practically on Xmas Eve to remove a large internal abscess which unfortunately could not be cultured

Then she has had multiple little 'episodes' since - meaning we have now had xrays and ultrsound scans done, lots of mini panics, trips to vet etc. Just as we have hopefullt stabilised her on a panoply of medicines . .

Then Gooseberry our beloved head tilt bun became also semi paralysed in his rear legs and after trying physio and having him greatly enjoy a final week with the aid of wheels, the paralysis started creeping up his body and he had to be pts.

Then literally two days later Charlie - our almost 9 year old with a lens replacement for cataract and one enucleation, (not to mention the EC and the long ago tail amputation after a nasty accident) had a sudden onset blockage - which seems to have been a partial twist - so he was rushed in and our supervet gave us the choice to open him up or pts - and we went with letting Charlie decide and go with the op. Amazingly, despite the blockage having started to cause toxicity of liver etc - after a very dodgy 48 hours he is now back to normal . . following a LONG op . . .

intensive home care was needed every moment of the way as his liver failed to clear the anaesthetics at first . .

add in one poorly eye (Nutmeg - think he got some hay in it but am taking to vets later), Misteltoe Snowgoose having a sniffle (he has a tendency and we have had lots of tests done . . . ), and Peasgood managing to build a new wildie burrow for himself under one of the (supposedly totally wired off) chalet bases one night . .

and 8 vaccinations due . . .

and did I mention Peach Blossom ripping my hand literally to shreds when I surprised her by accident the other day getting her into a crate (she is a very nervy bun) - a trip to Minor Injuries Clinic resulted from that . . .

I seem to have perhaps unsurprisingly 'lost' two weeks of work, and have a bill at the vets standing at about £1,400!!

Hoping the rest of the year settles down a bit.

Last edited:
Oh Twigs what a catalogue :cry:

I do understand things conglomerating together and it seems like one thing after another .. It's hyper-wearing on the emotional and physical side, not to mention the bank balance :shock:

I sometimes wonder how you manage to hold it all together with the number of rabbits/work etc etc ....

I hope you're managing to look after yourself and get some breaks from the stress, just to keep sane?

Sending vibes for your poorly bunnies to get well soon, and for you to have strength to get through the storm until the quiet patch to come x

We have had a real up and down few weeks here.

One of the 'problems' with having multiple buns is that sometimes everything seems to happen at once. First of all it was our newcomer PeachBlossom who came to us with an undiagnosed and unspotted problem (NOT the rescues fault) of an internal infection after her spay. That resulted in emergency operation practically on Xmas Eve to remove a large internal abscess which unfortunately could not be cultured

Then she has had multiple little 'episodes' since - meaning we have now had xrays and ultrsound scans done, lots of mini panics, trips to vet etc. Just as we have hopefullt stabilised her on a panoply of medicines . .

Then Gooseberry our beloved head tilt bun became also semi paralysed in his rear legs and after trying physio and having him greatly enjoy a final week with the aid of wheels, the paralysis started creeping up his body and he had to be pts.

Then literally two days later Charlie - our almost 9 year old with a lens replacement for cataract and one enucleation, (not to mention the EC and the long ago tail amputation after a nasty accident) had a sudden onset blockage - which seems to have been a partial twist - so he was rushed in and our supervet gave us the choice to open him up or pts - and we went with letting Charlie decide and go with the op. Amazingly, despite the blockage having started to cause toxicity of liver etc - after a very dodgy 48 hours he is now back to normal . . following a LONG op . . .

intensive home care was needed every moment of the way as his liver failed to clear the anaesthetics at first . .

add in one poorly eye (Nutmeg - think he got some hay in it but am taking to vets later), Misteltoe Snowgoose having a sniffle (he has a tendency and we have had lots of tests done . . . ), and Peasgood managing to build a new wildie burrow for himself under one of the (supposedly totally wired off) chalet bases one night . .

and 8 vaccinations due . . .

and did I mention Peach Blossom ripping my hand literally to shreds when I surprised her by accident the other day getting her into a crate (she is a very nervy bun) - a trip to Minor Injuries Clinic resulted from that . . .

I seem to have perhaps unsurprisingly 'lost' two weeks of work, and have a bill at the vets standing at about £1,400!!

Hoping the rest of the year settles down a bit.

I remember all too well the onslaught of multiple ill Rabbits. I am sure you must be worn out. I am sorry that Gooseberry had to be PTS :cry:
It sounds as though he put up a brave fight.

I hope that things calm down a bit now to enable you to recharge your batteries...............and your Bank balance !

I only have four Rabbits now and to be honest I have no idea how I managed to cope with as many as you have. I certainly couldn't do it now, I'm too decrepit myself !!

Hope your 'savaged' hand heals quickly xx

I'm sorry your rabbits and you have been going through such tough times. Bless little Charlie, he is quite the little fighter from the sound of it

What a nightmare! Hope life calms down for you now so you can replenish your energy stores and credit.

I can completely empathise right now, it's physically and emotionally draining. Hope things calm down soon. Sending vibes for the buns and hugs for you xx

I'm sorry that things have been so rough for you. I do hope that things will now settle down and life is kinder to you. xx

Am sorry to read this - having lost three in the space of three months last year I can relate to everything happening at once. I hope that your hand heals up quickly and that January was the storm before the calm x

Sorry it appears to have all happened at once. I hope it all starts to settle down and your hand heals quickly and painless xx

Back