• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear infection/abscess

sashababe

Warren Scout
My lop boy developed an ear infection/abscess towards the end of last year, had it flushed out under sedation, xrays for any teeth issues (all clear), course of antibiotics/painkiller etc. Shortly after, the lump at the base of his ear reappeared. The vet advised that the area was weakened by the previous swelling, and could only see wax (no pus) through the scope, so this is apparently now his normal ear shape. A few days ago I noticed him shaking his head and scratching his ear and the lump felt a little larger than usual so back to the vets we went, on inspection the ear was red inside but he wouldn't allow the vet to get the scope deep enough to see what was going on. He is on anti inflammatory but no antibiotics as yet as the vet felt they wouldn't help if it's thick pus, so the options are checking it under anaesthetic then reflushing, or the canal resection. I am not happy to put him through a canal resection, and wondering what the best thing to do is. I can have him reflushed but again this is not a procedure I want him to have to have repeatedly for the rest of his life - he recovered poorly last time, didn't want to eat and hates being restrained for meds so it was an awful couple of weeks for him after the op. Does anyone have experience of how often this is likely to recur? Or any advice/alternative options?

My lop boy developed an ear infection/abscess towards the end of last year, had it flushed out under sedation, xrays for any teeth issues (all clear), course of antibiotics/painkiller etc. Shortly after, the lump at the base of his ear reappeared. The vet advised that the area was weakened by the previous swelling, and could only see wax (no pus) through the scope, so this is apparently now his normal ear shape. A few days ago I noticed him shaking his head and scratching his ear and the lump felt a little larger than usual so back to the vets we went, on inspection the ear was red inside but he wouldn't allow the vet to get the scope deep enough to see what was going on. He is on anti inflammatory but no antibiotics as yet as the vet felt they wouldn't help if it's thick pus, so the options are checking it under anaesthetic then reflushing, or the canal resection. I am not happy to put him through a canal resection, and wondering what the best thing to do is. I can have him reflushed but again this is not a procedure I want him to have to have repeatedly for the rest of his life - he recovered poorly last time, didn't want to eat and hates being restrained for meds so it was an awful couple of weeks for him after the op. Does anyone have experience of how often this is likely to recur? Or any advice/alternative options?

Its not really possible to say how often the problem could reoccur. If there is an actual abscess at the ear base then just flushing the ear canal is not going to resolve the problem. It is usually necessary to remove the abscess. But in some cases removing all of it may not be possible. Again it depends on the individual case. Removing the abscess, or at least removing as much of it as possible is not the same as having a lateral ear canal resection and ablation. The latter being a far more invasive procedure.

* WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THIS LINK*

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Surgery/Ear/ear_surgery.pdf

Just removing the abscess and treating with a long course of an appropriate antibiotics (choice of abx being made on the basis of culture and sensitivity testing of swabs taken from the abscess wall NOT just the pus) may be curative. But so much depends on the precise details of the individual case. As your Vet has probably explained, Rabbit abscesses are often a real challenge to treat, ear abscesses being especially so.

I would suggest asking the Vet about more detailed diagnostics to try to ascertain the exact extent of the problem.

These links may be useful:

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/diagnosis-of-otitis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits/

http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/treatment-of-otitis-externa-media-and-interna-in-rabbits/

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Abscess/skin_abscess.htm

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....56616755&id=1521579548115486&substory_index=0

Last edited:

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Can your vet consider long term injectables like penicillin?

What was the antibiotic he had before?

If it's an abscess, perhaps the pus (if there is any now or in future) can be cultured and a specific antibiotic to target it can be prescribed.

Certainly long term antibiotic treatment (and not Baytril) is required for any ear infection of abscess condition.

As far as a resection is concerned, of course it's not something to undergo lightly by any means. However, when indicated as the last resort, it can be successful. I have known and heard of several bunnies for who this has literally saved their lives.

Good luck x

Thank you both, I will have a good look through those links. Yes from the vet and reading around last time it occurred I understand they are tricky things to treat, previously he was swabbed and cultured and put on an appropriate antibiotic after the flushing and that seemed to work so I imagine it was perhaps an infection rather than abscess but I'm unclear as to the reason for the bulge at his ear base. I am fortunate to have a very rabbit savvy vet but think I was just a bit overwhelmed last time I went in so will take some clearer questions for his recheck

No advice but just wanted to say hope everything goes ok with your boy and sending luck, going through the same thing with my girl at the moment and it's so hard to know what to do for the best! :love:

Back