• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Front paw problem

G-Man

Warren Scout
Hello, my sister's friend got her daughter a rabbit for Christmas so this question and info' is second hand I'm afraid. She is going to take her to vet in the morning and hopefully the one I've recommended is better than one she visited.

On Tuesday she started to hop a big oddly and looked like she had a sore front left paw. They kept her in her bed box and she was eating well but didn't want to hop about too much. They took her to vet on Wednesday morning, Vets 4Pets (I'm not sure about these practises but my doubt is unfounded, don't really know why I'm not keen.) who had a feel but couldn't really see what was wrong. When she was bending her paw back Peemba would keep it like that, so not standing on pad but on back of paw. Because of that she thought it may be neurological but gave them an anti inflammatory and said if she hadn't improved to bring her back on Monday. I was really surprised at her leaving it so long. Today she's very lethargic and putting weight on back paws but front paws seem to be sliding away rather than carrying any weight. (As I said, I've not seen her so can only write what I think they were trying to describe.)
I've given her a number of a nearby vet, I don't live in her town so it's online research I've had to do and this vet has a dedicated rabbit page and information, also a long history in the town. It's Paisley so if any 'buddies' on here their recommendations will be gratefully received. She us going to phone first thing and take her for visit but I just wondered if anyone recognised this problem.
I'll come back tomorrow with follow up.

Hello, my sister's friend got her daughter a rabbit for Christmas so this question and info' is second hand I'm afraid. She is going to take her to vet in the morning and hopefully the one I've recommended is better than one she visited.

On Tuesday she started to hop a big oddly and looked like she had a sore front left paw. They kept her in her bed box and she was eating well but didn't want to hop about too much. They took her to vet on Wednesday morning, Vets 4Pets (I'm not sure about these practises but my doubt is unfounded, don't really know why I'm not keen.) who had a feel but couldn't really see what was wrong. When she was bending her paw back Peemba would keep it like that, so not standing on pad but on back of paw. Because of that she thought it may be neurological but gave them an anti inflammatory and said if she hadn't improved to bring her back on Monday. I was really surprised at her leaving it so long. Today she's very lethargic and putting weight on back paws but front paws seem to be sliding away rather than carrying any weight. (As I said, I've not seen her so can only write what I think they were trying to describe.)
I've given her a number of a nearby vet, I don't live in her town so it's online research I've had to do and this vet has a dedicated rabbit page and information, also a long history in the town. It's Paisley so if any 'buddies' on here their recommendations will be gratefully received. She us going to phone first thing and take her for visit but I just wondered if anyone recognised this problem.
I'll come back tomorrow with follow up.

The 'neurological' issue the Vet mentioned is likely to be Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC). This protozoal parasite can effect the brain/ CNS aswell as the kidneys and other organs. If the Brain/CNS are effected neurological symptoms occur. These are usually things like head tilt, hind leg weakness and seizures. But it is not impossible for front leg weakness to occur.

However, EC is not the only possible cause of the symptoms you describe. For example a problem within the cervical spine may cause front leg problems. So the Vet would need to consider running diagnostics to try to establish what is really going on. Diagnostics could include blood tests, spinal xrays and a more comprehensive neurological work-up.

This link provides information about EC

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

There is also a metaboloc condition known as 'Floppy Rabbit Syndrome' which can cause a rapidly increasing widespread weakness leading to the Rabbit not being able to move at all. Although this condition usually appears rapidly rather than over several days. Whilst it is terrifying to witness it IS possible for the Rabbit to make a full recovery with prompt and appropriate Veterinary treatment.

Information about FRS here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Flop_rabbit/Floppy_rabbits.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Floppy_Rabbit_Syndrome.htm

Thank you J J. I've passed those links on for her to read and either mention or show to the vet.

You may also want to post a thread in Rabbit Chat asking for 'Rabbit Savvy Vet Needed in X' (name of town.

I didnt feel I could add anything to Jacks Jane's Advice on the health side because as ever it was spot on and as full as one could imagine! - but wanted to add something!!!!

Thank you everyone. I've now posted in chat for recommendations.
I've phoned them but no answer, hopefully I'll know more later.

Back